Submitting this week and could use some feedback on my narrative..please :)

“The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work, and the only way to do great work is to love what you do.” I could not agree more with this quote by Steve Jobs. With the life experience I have gained thus far, I have found that those unhappiest simply have not found their passion or purpose. With this in mind, I look forward to the day I fulfill my dream of becoming a Physician Assistant. With the risk of sounding cliché, I can genuinely say nothing makes me happier in life than helping others. More importantly, nothing would make me happier than to make a difference as a PA.

Every night as I gazed up at the stars, swaying blissfully in my hammock, I reminisced on the day’s activities. Every night, I felt so incredibly blessed, thankful, and inspired. Walking through the villages of Luperón and helping the villagers remarkably changed my life. The trainings we had for the village Healers, stood out the most. These six women, who had the education equivalent of a 3rd grader, were so unbelievably intelligent. It was truly inspiring to know that these women were already so knowledgeable, without them even realizing it. They were able to recognize the different uses for all the plants grown in the village. To my eye these plants looked very similar, but with their experience they could differentiate them all. I admire their ability to do what they can with what they have to help their people. They exemplify the dedication necessary to work in healthcare. It was captivating watching the PA students examine and diagnose patients. Students fresh out of their didactic year, with so much knowledge, it was astounding. I had no doubts before this trip that PA was my path and this trip only solidified my certainty. We came to Luperón to help and to teach, but left learning more than I had ever imagined.

Briskly walking down the halls of the Oncology floor with nothing but my BP cuff and piercing curiosity, I came across Eddie. Eddie was well known for his upbeat personality on our floor but to our dismay he was reaching his final stage of metastatic bone cancer. Unresponsive and with gasps of air seeming to bubble like that of a child obnoxiously sipping their last bits of juice from a straw. With mixed feelings of excitement and utter terror, I helped the charge nurse stabilize Eddie. A couple thrust to the chest and we were able to get him to ICU in time. Seeing the look of relief on the face of Eddie’s wife, that is my motivation towards becoming a PA. The patients are my motivation, they make it all worth it. Being the glimpse of hope and doing whatever it takes to help those in such a vulnerable state is what I live for.

Lastly, I have found my motivation to be my mother. Through the ups and downs, she has always been my rock. Freshman year of college my parents separated. Making matters worse, my dad left the country and alienated our family. As if coping with their irreconcilable separation was not hard enough, we now had to worry about supporting ourselves without his financial help. It was one of the hardest times of my life. Dealing with the heartbreak and newfound financial struggles, made concentrating on school a daunting task. I admire my mother tremendously for getting our family through that rut. She did whatever it took to ensure that we did not lose our home and still is. Her undying perseverance is equivalent to mine in pursuing PA. Fortunately with time I was able to deal more maturely with the situation and overcome the emotional struggles. My last five semesters show my true academic potential. I know with my GPA, the odds are against me, but I will do what ever it takes to reach my aspirations.

I have been fortunate enough to gain experience in different healthcare environments and different specialties. I have had the opportunity to meet and pick the brains of a multitude of doctors, PA’s, and nurses. I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly in healthcare. Nevertheless, I have met doctors whom have the same values and morals I do. After coming across some rotten eggs, I found doctors who inspire me everyday. These Urologists have the dedication, compassion, and humility necessary to provide the utmost care to patients. The first instance I realized the character of these doctors was when a prostate cancer patient lost his insurance. It took us weeks and countless hours to get grant approval for their medications. Just when we were all about to give up the doctor said, “Money isn’t everything” and was willing to pay for this medication himself. I was left in awe, and from that moment on, I knew I was in the right place. Their positive attitude, patience, and devotion hold the standard for the healthcare provider I aspire to be. Their positive influence and exceptional training integrated with my determination to grasp all the knowledge they share; leave me feeling more prepared than ever to begin the next step in becoming a Physician Assistant.

Archived