Physician Assistant vs. Physician's Assistant in Essay

I have already submitted my CASPA application with the narrative. I was just going back to review and realized I put "Physician's Assistant" through the entire essay on accident. How badly will this hurt my chances of getting an interview? I know it is Physician Assistant but I read right over the mistakes every time I reviewed it.

I am so embarrassed....

Better to be proactive than regretful and apologetic, especially when you do get interviewed on this specific point.

Have a response ready if someone asks about it. While you can just explain that it was a mistake, go so far as to emphasize the key difference of being a physician's assistant (a non-autonomous clinician), and a physician assistant (a more independent, and collaborative clinician). This will show that you realize the mistake, and are well-informed of your role in the healthcare system as a PA.

You cannot undo your mistake, but you can do something about it.

That kind of mistake may prevent the offer of an interview....

honestly as an adcom member myself in the past I would toss that file unless EVERYTHING else was golden(strong hce, high gpa, community service, etc).

not knowing the name of the profession in a non-starter for me.

It might be a dealbreaker for sure, but it is an honest mistake, and not at all a matter of ignorance, just minor oversight.

I still advocate for planning ahead if this is honed in on during an interview. It's presumptuous to expect rejections all around just because of this one thing.

It would be a minor oversight if it happened once, but OP says it was every single time in the essay. When I wrote my CASPA and supplemental essays, it never even crossed my mind to add an apostrophe because I was very familiar with the profession by that point. I question whether that's true in cases such as this.

That's what I was afraid of. I didn't write the essay with it like that, but I had someone edit and fix the grammatical errors and make sure it was a true representative of myself. Through these multiple versions and corrections it got changed and I did not notice. It is still completely my fault and a serious mistake to overlook. I have over 1,000 hours of paid clinical hours, 100's of hours of volunteering, held leadership positions and have a good GPA. I'm praying that if I send in a corrected version directly to the schools it will be taken into consideration. But I agree, it look as if I know nothing about the profession if I cannot even spell it.

I have already submitted my CASPA application with the narrative. I was just going back to review and realized I put "Physician's Assistant" through the entire essay on accident. How badly will this hurt my chances of getting an interview? I know it is Physician Assistant but I read right over the mistakes every time I reviewed it.

I am so embarrassed....

glad i'm not the only one.

• 1 month later...

That's what I was afraid of. I didn't write the essay with it like that, but I had someone edit and fix the grammatical errors and make sure it was a true representative of myself. Through these multiple versions and corrections it got changed and I did not notice. It is still completely my fault and a serious mistake to overlook. I have over 1,000 hours of paid clinical hours, 100's of hours of volunteering, held leadership positions and have a good GPA. I'm praying that if I send in a corrected version directly to the schools it will be taken into consideration. But I agree, it look as if I know nothing about the profession if I cannot even spell it.

That's too bad.  If anything, it taught you to not have others correct your work.  It's okay to have them give you critiques & make suggestions on what needs to be corrected, but you should always be the one to actually do the correcting.  It helps you learn, plus it helps to avoid mistakes like this made by someone else who does not know the profession.  If you get interviews, you can explain it if the subject comes up.  If not, lesson learned - move on.  The next cycle will be here soon enough.

That's too bad. If anything, it taught you to not have others correct your work. It's okay to have them give you critiques & make suggestions on what needs to be corrected, but you should always be the one to actually do the correcting. It helps you learn, plus it helps to avoid mistakes like this made by someone else who does not know the profession. If you get interviews, you can explain it if the subject comes up. If not, lesson learned - move on. The next cycle will be here soon enough.

Next time use the tracking feature on Word. That way you can see their critiques but have the option of accepting or rejecting each critique . I wish you the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived