Medical Cannabis

I am new to this form and I would like to hear some of your guys opinions. I am currently a college student in California and I am planning on becoming a PA. My whole life I have had ADD and Anxiety I was diagnosed at a very young age and have tried so many different medicines without much effect. The only medications that really work come with many undesirable side effects. Such as adderall which I have been taking my whole life and benzodiazepines which I almost refuse to take. The adderall does work really great for my ADD but it comes with many awful side effects that I absolutely hate! I have tried just about every ADD medicine and it really is the only one that works. Beznos also work for me and I have had them perscribed at small amounts for breakthrough anxiety at times but I haven't and wouldn't ever take them regularly because I do not want to rely on an addictive pill to feel normal and get stuck having to take it every day. I have tried just about every single anxiety medicine even including SSRIs (I am not depressed at all, doctors thought that it would help with my anxiety) and the only ones that actually work for me are benzos but I don't like how they make me feel at all. They make me feel intoxicated, very tired, unmotivated, and dull my emotions. There is no way I could take something that makes me feel like that. Also, last year I suffered my 4th concussion from hockey and it ended my hockey career. I was supposed to go play college hockey on a scholarship so I was very bummed about this. Ever since then I have been dealing with post concussion syndrome. I have tried just about every thing even including some holistic medicine. The last option I have for this is taking narcotics pain killers and I do not like taking opoids at all. They are extremely addictive and dangerous and just make you pretty intoxicated even in the therapeutic doses. So I was prescribed percocet for these headaches but I wouldn't accept an everyday prescription so I took it as needed. The medicinal effects were good at relieving my headaches but when I take it, I cannot function as good as I should be able to. I have talked to many different doctors and psychiatrists and almost all of them told me to try medical cannabis. So I decided to try it and it benefits me greatly. It strongly helps my ADD, allowing to take over as my main ADD medication with adderall rarely ever used as needed. I take my medicine before school and it allows me to really focus on my work and not get distracted and be productive. It does not make me lazy in any way at all and actually allows me to be more productive while feeling like myself and not being intoxicated like most of these other medicines. It helps my anxiety greatly, not quite as good as benzos but its very close without all of the unwanted side effects. It also works great for my headaches. It works just as good or even better then the narcotics I was prescribed. I am very glad that I have tried this and it has really benefited my life in such a positive way. I no longer have to take adderall all the time with absolutely terrible side effects, I no longer have to take benzos that just lower my ambition and make me lazy, and I no longer have to take any more narcotics which just make me feel totally out of it. The whole reason I take this is because it benefits me very much and allows me to be normal and doesn't make me feel intoxicated. That is the whole entire reason why I use it. I don't like taking medications that alter your personality. A lot of people claim that it makes people intoxicated and then cannot work on it and I don't totally understand this. I feel like it is totally fair if a company wants to fire you for not being 100% on point and that should go for every medication. Handling patients is a huge responsibility and you have to be 100% on point for sure! Many medications take away your ability of being on point and some you can barely even function on but I don't hear very many people talking about those medications while working. Maybe its government propaganda? When I consume cannabis it doesn't take away any of my abilities to work hard, think straight, and be productive. If anything it improves it. So my question is can PAs use medical cannabis in California? Let me know some of your guys opinions on this.

I am happy for you that medical cannabis helps you out tremendously.

Your post, however, reads as someone who is looking to justify being a medical practitioner and prescribing for themselves, which is a huge ethical no-no if you're not already aware....plus, it's something state boards love to take away licenses for.

My advice would be not to share very intimate medical details on a professional message board which may come back to be used against you in a career field you're looking to join.

I am new to this form and I would like to hear some of your guys opinions. I am currently a college student in California and I am planning on becoming a PA. My whole life I have had ADD and Anxiety I was diagnosed at a very young age and have tried so many different medicines without much effect. The only medications that really work come with many undesirable side effects. Such as adderall which I have been taking my whole life and benzodiazepines which I almost refuse to take. The adderall does work really great for my ADD but it comes with many awful side effects that I absolutely hate! I have tried just about every ADD medicine and it really is the only one that works. Beznos also work for me and I have had them perscribed at small amounts for breakthrough anxiety at times but I haven't and wouldn't ever take them regularly because I do not want to rely on an addictive pill to feel normal and get stuck having to take it every day. I have tried just about every single anxiety medicine even including SSRIs (I am not depressed at all, doctors thought that it would help with my anxiety) and the only ones that actually work for me are benzos but I don't like how they make me feel at all. They make me feel intoxicated, very tired, unmotivated, and dull my emotions. There is no way I could take something that makes me feel like that. Also, last year I suffered my 4th concussion from hockey and it ended my hockey career. I was supposed to go play college hockey on a scholarship so I was very bummed about this. Ever since then I have been dealing with post concussion syndrome. I have tried just about every thing even including some holistic medicine. The last option I have for this is taking narcotics pain killers and I do not like taking opoids at all. They are extremely addictive and dangerous and just make you pretty intoxicated even in the therapeutic doses. So I was prescribed percocet for these headaches but I wouldn't accept an everyday prescription so I took it as needed. The medicinal effects were good at relieving my headaches but when I take it, I cannot function as good as I should be able to. I have talked to many different doctors and psychiatrists and almost all of them told me to try medical cannabis. So I decided to try it and it benefits me greatly. It strongly helps my ADD, allowing to take over as my main ADD medication with adderall rarely ever used as needed. I take my medicine before school and it allows me to really focus on my work and not get distracted and be productive. It does not make me lazy in any way at all and actually allows me to be more productive while feeling like myself and not being intoxicated like most of these other medicines. It helps my anxiety greatly, not quite as good as benzos but its very close without all of the unwanted side effects. It also works great for my headaches. It works just as good or even better then the narcotics I was prescribed. I am very glad that I have tried this and it has really benefited my life in such a positive way. I no longer have to take adderall all the time with absolutely terrible side effects, I no longer have to take benzos that just lower my ambition and make me lazy, and I no longer have to take any more narcotics which just make me feel totally out of it. The whole reason I take this is because it benefits me very much and allows me to be normal and doesn't make me feel intoxicated. That is the whole entire reason why I use it. I don't like taking medications that alter your personality. A lot of people claim that it makes people intoxicated and then cannot work on it and I don't totally understand this. I feel like it is totally fair if a company wants to fire you for not being 100% on point and that should go for every medication. Handling patients is a huge responsibility and you have to be 100% on point for sure! Many medications take away your ability of being on point and some you can barely even function on but I don't hear very many people talking about those medications while working. Maybe its government propaganda? When I consume cannabis it doesn't take away any of my abilities to work hard, think straight, and be productive. If anything it improves it. So my question is can PAs use medical cannabis in California? Let me know some of your guys opinions on this.

Hello and thank you for sharing your story, I know that took a lot energy and thought to put together and I commend you for your candidacy and honesty. I'm also glad that you've found a natural medication that works for you, especially in place of substances which can have much higher potential for dependency issues as well as damage to the body with long term use. Public attitude towards marijuana is changing such as can be seen with full legalization now in WA and CO, with AK putting it on their upcoming ballot. That's all fine and dandy but my main concern is there being a pervasive forgetfulness regarding the medicinal properties of the cannabis herb. Sure, we all recommend it to people who have loss of appetite from cancer but now they are finding huge results as remedy for other pathologies.

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/showthread.php/38773-medical-marijuana-for-Dravet-s-syndrome?highlight=marijuana

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/showthread.php/39849-Marijuana-users-have-better-blood-sugar-control?highlight=marijuana

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/showthread.php/38310-Family-uses-pot-to-mange-kid-s-autism?highlight=marijuana

A good friend of mine is a MD/ND, he would understand and is one of the Docs who will justifiably write a recommendation for medical marijuana based on symptoms. Many Doctors who are up to date and free from dogma will do the same. However, your average Doc or PA Program Faculty may not be as understanding. Most important to remember is that a PA or other provider has their DEA from just that ... the DEA. The DEA still classifies the plant as Schedule I and until that changes, my advice to you would be thus. Remember that you could be tested at any time ... in your healthcare experience leading up to PA school application, during your PA Clinical Rotations (I was tested on only one, Ob/Gyn) and in employment after that. And that's the final point, the 'after that' ... you would have to find an employer that understands or that simply does not test. I for a while worked in a region where marijuana was widely accepted and so I assume that's the reason why they state on their application that they do not do drug testing lol. That being said, it's going to be up to you to find a position that works for you, if and when you graduate, but until then it will be in your interests to abstain and make it through without once you reach the point where it could potentially start becoming an issue.

Best of luck and welcome.

why do I feel like I just read an advertisement for medical marijuana?

asking medical device and a public forum such as this really is frowned upon.......

I would suggest you review the rules of the forum

Although the administrators and moderators of The PA Forum will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of The PA Forum, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

Our forum is not a moderated forum, which means that all posts are immediately online. We cannot watch the content of our forum 24/7. Therefore, some basic rules must be established.

*PROFILE & EMAIL*--- You agree that your profile will be true and that your email remain updated. If your email is no longer in use, the system will get a bounceback and your account will be deleted automatically. Please make sure that your email is a working email. Any account found to have false or incomplete information will be deleted WITHOUT NOTICE! Bounced emails lead to our domain being blacklisted by email servers. Accounts that get deleted CANNOT be re-activated and all information related to that account will be lost.

*ACCOUNTS*--- One account per person/I.P. Address. Anyone found with multiple accounts will have BOTH accounts banned. If for some reason you accidentally created another account. Please contact me at Michael@PhysicianAssistantForum.Com and notify me within 24 hours.

*CHOOSE CORRECT TITLE* --- When registering, please make sure that you choose the correct title for your account. For example, if you are a pre-pa, do not choose "Physician Assistant." Some may believe that it is not a big deal what you choose, but I'm informing you now that your account will automatically be deleted if it is false. In choosing the correct title, you are allowing the membership understand the point of view of your posts and shows respect to the PA Forum and it's membership.

*THREADS & POSTS*--- DO NOT ASK FOR YOUR POSTS TO BE DELETED. THEY ARE HERE TO STAY, THEREFORE, "THINK" BEFORE YOU POST! This request is the most self-centered request I get. First of all, if you are reading this, you're probably learning the hard way that you should READ those forum rules before you accept them. Secondly, to ask a question on this site and then have people spend their time to answer you and then just pull your original post is rude to the rest of the members as well as the PA Forum itself. Can you imagine if everyone pulled their original post after "they" got their answer? Did you enjoy reading the other posts on the website? It was nice not having the original post removed, right? Remember, YOU are responsible for the content of your POST.

*BEFORE YOU POST, SEARCH* swer is probably somewhere out there already if you just take a minute to look. Before posting a new question, always do a search first. Your question might have already been posted and answered on this site. All of the individuals helping out and answering questions around here are volunteers. By trying out this method before asking a question, you'll save hours of time that could have been wasted constantly answering the same questions multiple times.

*KEEP IT PLEASANT*--- Do not troll. Always be polite and courteous in your posts, even if you do not agree with another member. Do not post racist, sexist or prejudiced remarks or comments. Do not spam the forum with useless or off-topic nonsense. Do not flame other members or post anything that has a good chance of being taken in a bad way. Remember, the internet is emotionless and we don't always know when you are being sarcastic. Do not participate in flaming wars. DO NOT post political threads to incite anger or simply to "make a point" about your political stance. All political posts must relate to medicine/healthcare. Any posts not following these rules will result in automatic deletion of the post and immediate banning WITHOUT notice.

*KEEP IT ON THE SITE*--- Please do not post asking for an answer to be sent to you via email. Problems and their responses assist others who read them. Please refrain from responding to people's questions via email for the same reason. Moderators may snip email addresses out of such posts without notice.

*KEEP IT LEGAL*--- Keep it clean and do not post inappropriate material or links to it. In addition, do not post anything related to illegal acts. Please remember to abide by all HIPPA policy. For more information regarding HIPPA policy, please visit: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/

*CENSORING*--- There is a profanity filter on this site but it is not all encompassing. I would like to assume that since you are either a professional or going to become one soon, that you would refrain from any online profanity. We encourage free exchange of ideas, but we also expect the exchange to be civil.

*POST IN THE CORRECT PLACE*--- There are more than enough forums here for everyone to find somewhere suitable to post. Please take the extra minute to make sure you are correctly posting in the correct place. Every question or new thought should have its own thread. Replies to a previous post should be thread replies to that particular thread. Do not piggyback threads by posting your question as a reply to another question. Any threads in an unsuitable forum will be moved to another at the administrator's/moderator's discretion. This has to be my biggest problem on the site. Anyone not adhering to this particular rule on multiple occasions will be asked to leave.

*POST SPECIFIC THREAD TITLES*--- Threads with titles that are too broad or do not correctly describe the post may be altered with or without notification. Do not post threads with generic subjects such as "HELP ME" or "PROBLEM". Instead, clearly state a phrase describing the problem as the thread's title. For example, if a thread is called "Help me!" it doesn't provide much information whereas a thread titled, "Need help with application process!"...would work much better.

*DO NOT FLOOD THE FORUM*--- Do not flood the forum posting the same question in multiple forums, or multiple ways. All that happens is it gets confusing. It's a lot easier for everyone to get the answers they need if everything is kept in one place. If you flood the forum, you will be instantly banned from the site...no exceptions.

*NO ADVERTISING*--- Please do not advertise anything. Do not use your signature to advertise. If I "think" you are trying to advertise without going through the proper channels, you will be banned. If you are interested in advertising, please visit our advertising site- http://shinyads.com/advertise/604 and choose which ad location you would like.

*MULTIPLE REGISTRATIONS*--- One account per person. All accounts are logged as per your IP address. If multiple accounts are detected, BOTH accounts may get deleted.

*ACCOUNT DELETIONS*--- If you desire to have your account removed, all personal information in your profile will be removed, and the account will be placed into an inactive status category to maintain the integrity of the forum flow of posts and threads. The account may not be deleted and this is up to the discretion of the forum owner. All your posts and threads as indicated above will remain intact and not removed or deleted. Your account may be placed inactive due to the following situations: (1) You fail to verify your account within 30 days of creation. Remember to check your SPAM inbox for our email if you feel you should have received the email verification and did not. (2) If you fail to follow any of the above mentioned rules, the PA Forum staff may remove your account without warning. (3) If you have not visited the forum within the last 2 years, your account automatically will be removed. This helps keep the member directory fresh. (4) Your email "bounces" meaning that our servers cannot reach the account anymore. To avoid account deletion, please make sure you keep your email updated. Once the accounts have been deleted, they cannot be reinstated. (5) If you want the account deleted. The discretion of whether to delete an account or make it inactive with personal info removed remains the right of the forum owner.

Thank you for abiding by the forum rules. Failure to follow the rules may result in immediate removal from the PA Forum. Ignorance to the rules is not a reason not to follow them. Use common sense. Thank you and enjoy!

-Michael A. Banuchi, MPH, PA-C

• 7 months later...

This is a rather old thread but I would like to add two comments. First, after a long diatribe about how the op benefits from cannibis, his question was: Can a PA use medical marijuana in California? This isn't a medical question, it's a legal question and asking for legal advice on this forum is as dangerous as asking for medical advice. Talk to an attorney or the state board. Second, there are a lot of other issues to consider here such as the ethical obligations to patients and employers. Not sure how I feel about that but what if your sp is a surgeon who tells you he just needs a stiff drink before surgery to steady his nerves so he can perform optimally. I wouldn't be ok with that. At what point is your condition so debilitating that you have no business being a medical provider? If you openly discuss these issues, you may never even get into PA school or may not be allowed to do rotations or may not get a job offer. If you hide your condition and treatment that, in my opinion, is an ethical lapse which may lead to more legal issues so....Talk to an attorney.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Archived