Quizzed During Job Interview?

Just curious - have any of the experienced PAs out there been quizzed as part of a job interview? Asked to read xrays, EKGs, make diagnoses based on clinical scenarios, make treatment plans? Was quizzed in this manner during an UC interview, did fine, and was lectured on a variety of clinical topics. I was told that this process gave an indication of how well I'd "take direction". I wasn't intimidated, but found it a bit unusual in my many years of practice and interviewing. Anyone else have this kind of experience? What did you think of it? Thanks!

Not medically related field, but my sister is in IT/Programming and she had to take a written and oral test to demonstrate her skills before her company hired her. I thought it was interesting also.

On the other hand, I wonder if they also ask the physicians to demonstrate their knowledge before they hire them?

Yes, I have done this in interviews... First, to see how the patient thinks ( usually present an unusual case which could go several ways.. Sorta like this week's nejm case presentation of syncope.)...Not to see if the applicant gets the correct dx, but to see how they process the data given, interpret the studies, etc.. Very quickly can tell the real deals from the posers.

Is not confrontational, nor meant to be demeaning in any manner..

One of my mentors gave me a great lesson ( that IS what mentors do, ain't it):

When hiring, everyone wants the A list applicant..

But A list applicants are rare in the first place, and more rarely are available for hire.

So, what to do?

Take the strong C list-er and MAKE them an A-list-er.

But to do that, you need a b or c list applicant who knows how to think, can process data, multi-task and Wants to become an A list-ER.

Too many applicants figure that they already know all that they need to know, and take umbrage to any suggestion they have some gaps in their knowledge base ( don't we all?).

You can be extremely personable, likable, engaging and tell a good story.

But in the real world, you can either read an EKG, an X-ray, put in a line, reconize when "something doesn't quite fit right"... Or you can't. This interview technique helps separate the wheat from the chaft.

Once I interviewed for a critical care position and was given 25 EKGs and CXRs to read, along with several swans and hemodynamic status "numbers".

The logic was, either I could or could not read and interprete the data, so that the attending would know that I knew when to call, and how to approach an ill patient. Stressfull, but then again, I had told them early on that these were skills I had.

Had I not done well on the technical parts, but was felt to be a good "fit", and someone who they could teach, they would have accepted me, and mentored me to become an A list-ER.

That's why.

Your interviewers saw for themselves your technical abilities, which, until then, was really only rumor and conjecture.

More folks ought to do it.

V/r

davis

Ps. Anticipating emedpa's remarks: this will be not as necessary as the clinical competence exam become more standardized.

Yes, I have done this in interviews... First, to see how the patient thinks ( usually present an unusual case which could go several ways.. Sorta like this week's nejm case presentation of syncope.)...Not to see if the applicant gets the correct dx, but to see how they process the data given, interpret the studies, etc.. Very quickly can tell the real deals from the posers.

Interesting! Thanks for the comments and perspective. I spoke to several people who went through the process and they were quite offended. The "quiz" was not a negative experience, was more of a clinical discussion than anything else. Regardless, was offered the job.

My wife is a pharmacist at an academic hospital: all the pharmacists are required to give a presentation, go through 2-3 patient scenarios/plans, as well as the standard interview questions. Furthermore, most of the pharm applicants have also completed at least 1 year of residency, so the employer already knows these are above average pharmacists.

Myself, I've never been quizzed.

funny

interviewed at the VA

Panel of people interviewing me including a nurse, PT, OT, office person and one loan PA

They had to ask questions off the HR approved list, and NOT deviate from this

They then asked two clinical questions - simple DVT and AMI

As I went off on PERC and WELLS criteria and a slew of other discussion on DVT and % of PE and usefulness of rules I realized every single one of the people (except the PA) had this glassed over "we have no idea what the heck you are talking about" look.... one of them actually interrupted me and asked me to explain in simple non medical terms what I was saying......

I am sure the PA fully understood the answer (used to work with him) but the fact the rest of the panel had not a clue what I was saying was funny, I could have talked sideways out my mouth and as long as I used big words they would have likely not known any better......

Honestly I think it is a good thing..... a typical new grad PA is not an appropriate hire to have on the main side of the ER full time with out support - quizzing should quickly show those PAs that can think on feet and has mastered the "basics" of medicine... don't have to be a hero but don't need to kill anyone either...

I have had that taken a step farther with the "working interview". I worked per diem at a local level 1 trauma ctr for a few years. my "interview" was doing an entire shift with the er chief. he handed me a chart, I saw the pt, wrote nothing on the chart, we talked about it, he put in orders, and we worked through a whole shift like that. at the end of the shift he offered me the job. a few of my colleagues went through the same experience and were not offered jobs...

I have had that taken a step farther with the "working interview".
I think this is a great way to do it, especially for acute care. Again, as was stated above- either you have the skills or you don't. Talk is talk, but when the rubber meets the road... Oh, and E- I remember this particular med center... I also remember a green PA fresh out of school who went through the working interview who didn't cut the mustard and was not offered a job. I know him REAL well, in fact, and know it was the right outcome at the time:;-):

I've had several "working interviews" like this. I expected it and found it collegial and just as helpful to have some insight into how my potential SP and hiring staff would think and interact with patients.

Similarly, had a distinct lack of discussing anything other than how many patients I could see in a day in the very worst job I've had as a PA. Wish I had listened to my gut there!

Isn't this basically the PANCE?..

Nope pance is a multiple guess test done on a computer as opposed to oral interviews and evaluations of a PAs thought processes in real time on real pts.

PANCE is not difficult. oral exams and working interviews can be tough.

in pa school we had a 20 min oral exit interview which was tough the last week of school. you sit down with 3 faculty members and they can ask you anything they want for 20 min...pass/fail.

Was asked today to orally refect upon a difficult patient I dealt with in the past. I was asked to repeat the conversation almost verbatim, or as best I could. The follow up question was for me to describe a time I had to make critical decisions with limited information and how I felt about the situation and outcome.

I am a new grad applying for a first job. I enjoyed the questions as they gave me a chance to highlight my previous HCE.

E, I recently spoke to the folks over at the level 1, they still do the working interview.

I had something quiz-like as part of a screening interview before I came in for the "real" interview. I was given three patient scenarios and asked which of these patients I would go to see first, assuming I was the only provider available at 3am. I was permitted to ask pertinent questions (actually, I think my ability to ask the correct questions was pretty important to them), and then I had to explain my reasoning.

I think it's a decent idea... my interview was an entire day and involved a lot of people. My company loves new grads, but this way they don't waste all those resources interviewing someone who either doesn't have the right instincts or doesn't know when to follow them.

Archived