Over 40 & becoming a PA? Wise or not...

1 minute ago, ANESMCR said:

Wow. I’m pretty sure that was a ranking USCG veteran telling you that it is not okay to claim you’re in the military, when you are in fact not. Then you go and throw a derogatory comment at him because of his supposed age? Why are you here again? To seek advice from PAs, or to find some sort of self-serving confirmation bias? Best advice I will give you as a PA-C. Drop the arrogance. It will get you absolutely nowhere in healthcare. Oh...and by the way, those “boomers” are going to be the one’s teaching you how to be a PA. 

Well It's obvious the Old guard is fading out and the new Guard is in. That USCG vet doesn't understand that things have Changed since he was in and in Today's US Coast Guard, it's very different, Diverse and Inclusive. In fact, Today's US Coast Guard integrates the US Coast Guard Auxiliary into day to day functions and during his time, he would never see it but Today, it's required and even Mandated. Here's a perfect example;

Coast Guard Auxiliary volunteer service stepping up its operational roles https://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2017/03/think-auxiliary/

Dude. Eat a big fat slice of humble pie, drop the overly offended attitude and take the advice given to you.

In my opinion showing up here with the statement that you've "seen it all" followed by trying to name drop all of your connections while touting this vast military experience was self serving over the top arrogance or ignorance. 

You then try (poorly) to tear down a ranking retired member of the military branch you claim to be a part of? 

Look. The attempted tough guy attitude may help out around your volly squad but there's sure no spot for it here, as a pre OR practicing PA. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

I know Boats personally. He and I are both Gen-X, not boomers. he is a few years older and a few feet taller than I am, but I have more hair 🙂

But I bet he doesn't understand that times have changed since he was in the guard and in Today's USCG, it's quite different and more integrated. Many officers and Petty officers I know in the Guard, I am friends with and on a first name basis because being in Auxiliary, I have Local knowledge that they don't have. They often times have called on me when they have problems with the Locals and we help smooth relations with the community. Many times, Cost Guard units today, call on the Auxiliary to help with SAR Cases, training and even help respond to disasters. It's why today, being in the Auxiliary, I get to do more than in the past and even work along side with the gold side and they still consider me part of the USCG. Here's an example 

Aux - I think you missed the point where being a volunteer auxiliary Coast Guard member is an honorable and good thing.  I signed many Comms Watch and Boat Crew letters for auxiliarists during my time (btw - I'm just a few years older than you).  I also helped start two auxiliary flotillas.  While I've only been an "honorary" auxiliary member, I probably have forgotten more about the Coast Guard (and the Coast Guard Auxilliary) than you have ever thought about.  If you've been in the Auxiliary for more than 10 years I probably personally know the guy(s) who signed your initial qualification letters

For those watching on the sidelines, the Coast Guard "Auxiliary" is a group of volunteers who help out the Coast Guard.  They are unpaid (although they can get reimbursement for expenses), and have no statutory authority.  They are sometimes placed on "orders" to patrol events like regattas, races, and other events where their eyes/ears are used as "force multipliers".  If you own a boat, you can join the Auxiliary and get gas money for being "under orders" patrolling an area.  If someone runs out of gas or has some other trouble, then you would be asked to help them out.  If you don't own a boat, then you can volunteer in otherways.  I had a wonderful auxiliarist who taught all of my newbies basic navigation.  I had an auxiliarist who helped in the galley (kitchen).  I had a couple of auxiliarists who I qualified to be boat crewmen (when they could pass the physical fitness examinations).  It really is a great way to volunteer.

It's very similar to the Air Force "Civil Air Patrol". It's basically a group of volunteers with a wide range of training (from absolutely zero to highly skilled) who make themselves available to help a government agency if needed.  It's good stuff!

Back to Aux - if you want to call yourself "Team Coast Guard"...then by all means help yourself.  That 80 year old lady who runs the register at the Exchange at New London is also part of "Team Coast Guard."  But she's not "IN" the Coast Guard...and neither are you. 

You can try to argue the point, but you would just keep making yourself look like a f'ckin dumb$shit who would wear a Trident on their chest because they saw the "Navy Seals" movie.

Just stop.  Be proud that you are an AUXILIARIST and you're making the world a better place.  Don't conflate that into something that it isn't.

Oh, and just to re-iterate what I said before.  You're a VOLUNTEER, like an American Red Cross blood bank volunteer.  I don't know of any PA programs that accept volunteer work as prior healthcare experience.  

Edited by Boatswain2PA
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

To the OP:

PA schools that look at prior healthcare experience will want to know how much actual patient contact time you had and what you did during that time.  You probably have many hours of volunteer time, but it's unlikely that many of them were actual patient contact.  In the same way, what mattered when I applied was the thousands of runs, not the decades in the fire/EMS service.  It's also important to realize that that experience, whether volunteer or paid, gives you very limited insight into the actual practice of medicine, whether in hospital or in an outpatient setting.

Concerning pre-reqs: most schools post their requirements on their web sites.  Please go by those lists.  If those lists contain recommended courses as well as the required courses, take those as well.  It's a crowded pool of applicants so you need to do everything you can to try to show you are at the front of the pack.  As you plan to take those pre-reqs, make sure you take the "majors" version of the courses, not the "general".  Take the same sections the pre-meds take.  Also, consider which pre-reqs are pre-reqs for other pre-reqs, e.g. general chemstry for organic chemistry, bio chemistry, cell biology, etc; biology for A&P.  You should plan a minimum of 2 years, more likely 3 of full-time schooling to get these done.  Physics is actually very helpful and not just for physical therapy: consider understanding mechanism of injury in trauma, fluid dynamics, electricity (cardiology), gas flows.

Concerning what areas of medicine you hope to work if you become a PA:  you have some but only some insight because of your personal health.  That's not the same as working in that area.  Finding a 1st job as a PA is getting much harder, especially in specialty fields.  Pre-PA contacts may be helpful, but only if there are available jobs in the areas and geographies you want when you get out that they know about.  If they recommend you, those recommendations won't be as valuable as those from people who actually observed your work during clinical rotations.

Demeanor is very important, because the application process includes essays and interviews.  For example, I recall a very intelligent applicant I counseled.  He was/is an engineer, extremely intelligent, hard working, great grades.  He viewed the application process as a list of check boxes and was disheartened because he had been rejected several times.  The feedback I got from the folks who interviewed was that he had come across as almost arrogant - as though he should definitely be admitted because of his qualifications.  He just didn't understand about the personal attributes of teachability, good team member, etc. that the admissions committee was looking for because they make for both an easier student to teach and a more successful PA.  Knowing you only from your messages in this forum, you're coming across in much the same way.  You are arguing with the answers you've been given.  While these answers certainly aren't the entire truth, they are coming from folks who have as much or more pre-PA experience as you, who have successfully gone through the application process, have completed PA school, passed boards, and are working as PA's.  This doesn't devalue where you are now, but it certainly should give you perspective about where you fit in the continuum of PA hopeful to experienced PA.

My very strong recommendation to you is that you've gotten what you can from this forum.  Your next steps should be to get into contact with several PA school that you hope to apply to.  See if you can meet with someone to get insight on how to prepare and how you look as an applicant.  Shadow several PA's working in different areas of medicine - see if you like their work life.  Listen, ask questions to learn, accept those answers as that person's best advice.  Compare, process, and evaluate those answers later.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 years later...
On 9/4/2013 at 10:45 PM, UGoLong said:

I was 58 when I went to PA school. I wrote a book about my decision process, the school experience, and what it's like to be a PA, at least for me. The book's citation is below.

Being a PA is sometimes stressful, some of it due to the time pressures of "modern medicine." There is also the usual stuff that comes with any job. It is important to be realistic and shadowing is critical to making a good career decision.

As I've told others, the big difference is that, several times each day, I know why I am here. I won't be doing this forever, but I will always treasure the experience. I also enjoyed the schooling and the friendship with my classmates.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

I am inspired by your story as I am a 43 old and got accepted to PA program and would love to write a book as well. May I message you and get in contact with you with regards to the process of writing a book? Thank you so much.

17 hours ago, PrePhysA2022 said:

I am inspired by your story as I am a 43 old and got accepted to PA program and would love to write a book as well. May I message you and get in contact with you with regards to the process of writing a book? Thank you so much.

Sure. PM me and I'll send you my email address.