Over 40 & becoming a PA? Wise or not...

Soooo....

My take is prolly a little different.  20 years ago, when there was 14 jobs for every PA regardless of age, I would have recommended that you go for it.  Now?  No.  It is hard enough for new PA's to find jobs, much less PA's that are competing against 28 year olds right out of school as well.  And if you struggle to find a good job (key word being "good"), then you will be on the hook for all that school money debt with precious few years to pay it off.  At least the 28 year old has some time to recover.  In your 50's you do not.  Sorry, but that's keeping it real.

Incidentally, I am in my 50's.  So no ageism accusations please. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Cideous said:

Soooo....

My take is prolly a little different.  20 years ago, when there was 14 jobs for every PA regardless of age, I would have recommended that you go for it.  Now?  No.  It is hard enough for new PA's to find jobs, much less PA's that are competing against 28 year olds right out of school as well.  And if you struggle to find a good job (key word being "good"), then you will be on the hook for all that school money debt with precious few years to pay it off.  At least the 28 year old has some time to recover.  In your 50's you do not.  Sorry, but that's keeping it real.

Incidentally, I am in my 50's.  So no ageism accusations please. 

I am looking at going PA and I would specialize in Endocrinology, Dermatology or working with rare Diseases because I am one of those who have a rare disease called Kallmann's syndrome and Vitiligo. I'm 43 right now and I project to get my PA by age 48

Edited by AUXEMS

Different PA schools have different requirements, so review their web sites.  In general, the prereqs are the same as those for med school:

• 1 year of chemistry with lab
  • 1 year of biology with lab
  • 1 year of physics with lab
  • 1 year of organic chemistry with lab
  • 1 year of A&P with lab
  • microbiology with lab
  • genetics (usually with lab)
  • biochem - varies by school
  • 1 year of sociology
  • 1 year of psychology
  • statistics

I did mine at a community college that was a branch campus of a major university, so the transcript had the university's name.  This is likely a several year process - pretty much the equivalent of 2-3 years of college, even if you already have a batchelor's degree.

10 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Different PA schools have different requirements, so review their web sites.  In general, the prereqs are the same as those for med school:

• 1 year of chemistry with lab
  • 1 year of biology with lab
  • 1 year of physics with lab
  • 1 year of organic chemistry with lab
  • 1 year of A&P with lab
  • microbiology with lab
  • genetics (usually with lab)
  • biochem - varies by school
  • 1 year of sociology
  • 1 year of psychology
  • statistics

I did mine at a community college that was a branch campus of a major university, so the transcript had the university's name.  This is likely a several year process - pretty much the equivalent of 2-3 years of college, even if you already have a batchelor's degree.

Wait, I though you only need Physics if your going to Physical Therapy school and why Biology and why not just go A&P, Chem 1, and Bio Chem. I already have the non science portion and Math out of the way. I just need to take the science classes.

Just now, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Lack of taking O. Chem and Physics never kept me from unnecessarily prescribing an antibiotic.

I'm just wondering because I have seen PA schools in CT and Mass only require Biology, A&P 1&2, Chem 1&2, Microbio, Genetics and Organic and Biochem is your choice. I have never seen PA schools in Mass & CT require Physics and I was told along time ago that if your taking Physics, your most likely going to Physical Therapy school. I am looking at going back to get my PA rereqs at either a Community College or go through a Post bac program, even though I already have my Bachelors degree and i'm 43 yrs old. 

I'm just wondering because I have seen PA schools in CT and Mass only require Biology, A&P 1&2, Chem 1&2, Microbio, Genetics and Organic and Biochem is your choice. I have never seen PA schools in Mass & CT require Physics and I was told along time ago that if your taking Physics, your most likely going to Physical Therapy school. I am looking at going back to get my PA rereqs at either a Community College or go through a Post bac program, even though I already have my Bachelors degree and i'm 43 yrs old. 

It was just my usual C. Eastwood old man tongue-in-cheek response regarding how never having taken these courses impacted my clinical ability to function. I suspect that just like med school, these courses are a way to to help wean out applicants. This is not to imply that they aren’t relevant however. I’d probably understood things better if I had taken them but they weren’t required back in the stone-age.
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 10:55 PM, AUXEMS said:

I am looking at going PA and I would specialize in Endocrinology, Dermatology or working with rare Diseases because I am one of those who have a rare disease called Kallmann's syndrome and Vitiligo. I'm 43 right now and I project to get my PA by age 48

Following suit with what Cideous mentioned-I would love to specialize in endo, the trick is finding someone that will hire you. You might see job offers during your quick searches to strengthen your decision to be a PA, but don’t be surprised when those offers aren’t there at all in just a couple years. Or, alternatively, they are still there but they just ignore your new grad application. Addressing Derm, so does everyone else. Probably one of the most difficult to get into now bc of the saturation, preference for mucho experience, and preference for NPs. Not shooting down your ambitions, just want you to take things with a grain of salt and plan accordingly. GL.

Edited by ANESMCR

Just now, ANESMCR said:

Following suite with what Cideous mentioned-I would love to specialize in endo, the trick is finding someone that will hire you. You might see job offers during your quick searches to strengthen your decision to be a PA, but don’t be surprised when those offers aren’t there at all in just a couple years. Or, alternatively, they are still there but they just ignore your new grad application. Addressing Derm, so does everyone else. Probably one of the most difficult to get into now bc of the saturation, preference for mucho experience, and preference for NPs. Infectious disease-you might be lucky to count the amount of ID jobs available to PAs in the nation with your fingers. Not shooting down your ambitions, just want you to take things with a grain of salt and plan accordingly. GL.

See, because I have Kallmann's syndrome and Vitiligo, I have a very close relationship with my Chief of Endocrinology and research scientist at Mass General Hospital REU, UMASS Medical Vitiligo clinic and the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD. It's why my Chief of Endocrinology has often used me as Lab rat and a teaching tool for incoming PA Students, NP Students, Med Students and med residents. It's why even my Endocrinologist told me, if I became a PA, she wouldn't mind having me on her team.

4 minutes ago, AUXEMS said:

See, because I have Kallmann's syndrome and Vitiligo, I have a very close relationship with my Chief of Endocrinology and research scientist at Mass General Hospital REU, UMASS Medical Vitiligo clinic and the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD. It's why my Chief of Endocrinology has often used me as Lab rat and a teaching tool for incoming PA Students, NP Students, Med Students and med residents. It's why even my Endocrinologist told me, if I became a PA, she wouldn't mind having me on her team.

Totally understand and I hope that does in fact reach fruition for you. I still would not, even though very promising, put all of your eggs into that basket. For example, I went to school under similar circumstance, and so did many others that are now finding it difficult to achieve employment.

Just now, ANESMCR said:

Totally understand and I hope that does in fact reach fruition for you. I still would not, even though very promising, put all of your eggs into that basket. For example, I went to school under similar circumstance, and so did many others that are now finding it difficult to achieve employment.

I still have connections because being in the US Coast Guard, I can Network and find work as a PA with the Indian Health services and the Federal prison system.

23 minutes ago, AUXEMS said:

I still have connections because being in the US Coast Guard, I can Network and find work as a PA with the Indian Health services and the Federal prison system.

I was under the assumption you desired different takes and advice. As a middle-aged new grad I’m giving you a very pragmatic and realistic one. Something I wish someone had given me. Connections obviously help tremendously, yet they mean less and less today and tomorrow. I had/have those connections as well. Will you have loans? IHS would possibly hire you as a GS-7 at 50-60k/yr. Corrections generally prefers minimal experience of at least 3-5 years. My point is, have a plan, be realistic. Something lacking in PA school and prospective students nowadays. 

• Upvote 3

Just turned 40 this year, going to school starting this summer. My background was military (non-medical) and private healthcare as a lab scientist. I don't feel like I'm to old, I enjoy learning new things and healthcare will give me that. I think a lot of people that are in this field have similar mentalities in that they are always looking at the next step in the evolution. I'm sure you will fit right in. 

• Like 1

That's my main concern is that I'm plaining on going back to College to complete my Science classes for PA school and I worry if my Age will be a factor. I'm looking at starting classes in the spring or summer at either a Nearby Community college or a Post bac school. I'll be 44 when I go back to college.

I graduated from PA school when I was 60 and that was 13 years ago. 

The job situation is always changing and always a function of where you live; it's a lot like the weather superimposed on climate change. You only get to live "now" and make your decisions about what you want in life. There will be no guarantees but still you have to make decisions.

I've made more money before I was a PA, but a comfortable living ever since. I didn't expect to be working this long but I'm doing it because I enjoy it. Less clinic than before and more teaching for the past 4 years or so.

Don't be married to your plan but recognize that you live in the "golden years" of today. Take your best shot and don't bet the entire farm!

1 hour ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Aux - you're not "In" the Coast Guard,, you're a volunteer.  While that is good and honorable, dont conflate the two things.  Most PA programs wont accept volunteer hours as health care experience.

I am an Auxiliarist in the US Coast Guard and Yes, we do more than you'll ever think and here's an example;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTQ0ofhqVXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRoxdBq9sto

And where I work at, out of Sector Long Island Sound in CT,  we do many things for them and that's all up to the Senior Leadership. Also, since I am located next to the US Coast Guard Academy, being an EMT, I do provide medical support for the Summer AIM Program and advise the US Coast Guard Academy EMS Club.

Also in the Auxiliary, we have opportunities for those with Medical skills. Here's an example

http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=H-DEPT&category=auxiliary-health-services

Auxiliary EMS Participation:
Auxiliary certified and licensed First Responders and EMTs/Paramedics may be eligible to participate in the following medical support areas:
CG Clinic as "medical assistants" as described in COMDTINST 6010.2 (series) and the CG Medical Manual - this is at the discretion of local CG Clinic Manager and Senior Medical Officer.

Assist at Small Boat Station's as SAR Boat Crew at the EMT-1 level if the local command authorizes participation.Perform Advanced First Aid, CPR and use Automatic Electronic Defibrillators (AED) on Auxiliary Patrols in emergency situations if currently certified at the EMT-1 level or above.

Instruct courses in First Aid, CPR, AED use to CG and Auxiliary units - if a certified Instructor, Auxiliary Instructor qualified, and approved by the local unit command.

4 hours ago, UGoLong said:

I graduated from PA school when I was 60 and that was 13 years ago.

I've made more money before I was a PA, but a comfortable living ever since. I didn't expect to be working this long but I'm doing it because I enjoy it. Less clinic than before and more teaching for the past 4 years or so.

O..M..G!  It pains me to even contemplate repeating part of the above statement.  "I enjoy it."  I'm falling out of my chair.  All kidding aside, I'm so envious that you wish to continue working (I'm not that far behind) in this setting.  I need to find something else to do but family circumstances are limiting my considerations due to having to be available at any point for an elderly parent.  I like the teaching idea, especially if I got "PAID" for it as opposed to doing lectures voluntarily to help my wife's dental program.  That being said, I'm not smart enough to teach medically.  I "only have a BS".  It's also fun telling others that your profession is "retired".

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Like 2

I'm well aware of what an auxiliarist does, I am a retired BMCS with command of two stations (plus three other stations and two patrol boats). 

While it's a great hobby, it is no where near the same as being "IN" the Coast Guard.

Just like a Civil Air Patrol volunteer is a great hobby.....but it doesnt make you a F-35 pilot.

Edited by Boatswain2PA

55 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

I'm well aware of what an auxiliarist does, I am a retired BMCS with command of two stations (plus three other stations and two patrol boats). 

While it's a great hobby, it is no where near the same as being "IN" the Coast Guard.

Just like a Civil Air Patrol volunteer is a great hobby.....but it doesnt make you a F-35 pilot.

Okay Boomer,

The old Guard is why things have changed and why the Guard today has changed since your time. It's why the Current Commandant allows the Aux to do everything except for Law and Military. In fact many Aux have deployed on Cutters as AUXFS and Interpreters.  Even some work on SAR Duty and even on ATON duty. It's why we have this thing called TEAM COAST GUARD and something you old guards don't understand. It's why the US Coast Guard today is not like when you were in and in Today's US Coast Guard, many sectors, stations and Cutters often call up the Auxiliary because of our local knowledge and skills we being to the Station, Sector and Cutters. 

1 hour ago, AUXEMS said:

Okay Boomer,

The old Guard is why things have changed and why the Guard today has changed since your time. It's why the Current Commandant allows the Aux to do everything except for Law and Military. In fact many Aux have deployed on Cutters as AUXFS and Interpreters.  Even some work on SAR Duty and even on ATON duty. It's why we have this thing called TEAM COAST GUARD and something you old guards don't understand. It's why the US Coast Guard today is not like when you were in and in Today's US Coast Guard, many sectors, stations and Cutters often call up the Auxiliary because of our local knowledge and skills we being to the Station, Sector and Cutters. 

Wow. I’m pretty sure that was a ranking USCG veteran telling you that it is not okay to claim you’re in the military, when you are in fact not. Then you go and throw a derogatory comment at him because of his supposed age? Why are you here again? To seek advice from PAs, or to find some sort of self-serving confirmation bias? Best advice I will give you as a PA-C. Drop the arrogance. It will get you absolutely nowhere in healthcare. Oh...and by the way, those “boomers” are going to be the one’s teaching you how to be a PA. 

Edited by ANESMCR