Hello all,

I used the search function and couldn't find anything relevant, so I'm sorry if this topic has popped up a few times without my notice. I'm a new graduate student - my school offers a "fifth year free" program where students can earn an accelerated masters' degree and attend courses free of charge. I double majored in Biology and Psychology and am currently doing some neat genetics stuff for the Bio program - my eventual goal is to become a Psych or Neuro PA.

Between the double major and annoying liberal arts requirements, I was unable to fulfill all of the courses that most PA schools look favorably upon. I'm taking some of them this term (namely Biochemistry), but my school won't allow me to register for non-graduate level courses. I was interested in taking Microbiology, but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to take it the normal way (for credit). Does anyone know whether there would be any value in auditing the course? I'd like schools to know I have some experience with the material, but I don't see the point if it's just going to be blown off. Of course, I'd LOVE it if the audit was accepted for general credit (instead of needing to pay to take the course somewhere else after this), but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Hello all,

I used the search function and couldn't find anything relevant, so I'm sorry if this topic has popped up a few times without my notice. I'm a new graduate student - my school offers a "fifth year free" program where students can earn an accelerated masters' degree and attend courses free of charge. I double majored in Biology and Psychology and am currently doing some neat genetics stuff for the Bio program - my eventual goal is to become a Psych or Neuro PA.

Between the double major and annoying liberal arts requirements, I was unable to fulfill all of the courses that most PA schools look favorably upon. I'm taking some of them this term (namely Biochemistry), but my school won't allow me to register for non-graduate level courses. I was interested in taking Microbiology, but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to take it the normal way (for credit). Does anyone know whether there would be any value in auditing the course? I'd like schools to know I have some experience with the material, but I don't see the point if it's just going to be blown off. Of course, I'd LOVE it if the audit was accepted for general credit (instead of needing to pay to take the course somewhere else after this), but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Nepenthe,

I was in a similar situation. My biology degree also did not require micro because the university I attended had 8 different biology majors, all specializing in a particular aspect of biology.

What I did was I just took micro at a community college. It was much cheaper to do than at UC San Diego. I don't really see any point in auditing a class as you do not get any credit for it whatsoever. That is, unless you were worried about not doing well in the course and you wanted to be exposed to the material ahead of time before actually taking it. Otherwise, I would not waste my time.

If you haven't already, set up an appointment with an academic advisor. It might be worth seeing if they can give you an override. If you go there and tell them the story that you posted here, they may help you out. I don't know if you'd be able to take the class for free. If you are willing to pay for it, however, you may have better luck. A lot of times schools set up policies that are in the right spirit, but can cause problems for students like yourself. Just talk to a human and see if they can work something out.

Don't audit. Like EMED said, consider taking it cheap at a community college.

There are also some place that offer micro online with some type of "virtual" lab component - the University of New England comes to mind. The online courses are usually not inexpensive, but they might allow you to get the course completed a little more quickly.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By vjaniceb
      Hi there, my name is Vanessa and I just graduated with my bachelor's in February. I am looking to pursue into a PA program but not quite sure where to start. I am currently studying for the GRE and have about 250 internship hours done at an ENT clinic with an audiologist. I'm not sure in what I am doing and need any guidance or suggestion in what to do. 
    • By sabella57
      Hello! I thought I would get the forum for the SIU application started!
      Has anyone had trouble filling out the supplemental application? There is no option to choose "Summer 2022".
    • By masval2
      Hello!
      I have browsing this forum for awhile and appreciate everyones time and advice.
      To explain a little about my situation, I have a BA in Kinesiology that i completed in 2016. I became a personal trainer after school and really fell in love with client interactions, but felt as though I could do more for myself and my career. I went back to complete some science pre requisites for Physical Therapy school but realized DPT wasn't for me. I decided to leave my job at the commercial training job to work with partners/friends at a private training gym that we started together. This was tough at the time, and unfortunately COVID ruined our business, and lost my job.
      I was lost, bitter and decided I no longer wanted to be a trainer anymore. I hate the business side of it after grinding in that sector for years, but love working with patients and healthcare. I wanted more for my life. My family is full of medical professionals and always loved the healthcare environment. I decided to go back to school online while locked down to keep me busy and learning more about health. I was accepted into an MS of kinesiology and have been realizing that its not as fun for me as it used to be since I want something different. I am fully intending to apply to PA school next year after I finish my masters and remaining pre-reqs this summer.
      With that being said, I currently have the option to switch my graduate focus from MS Kinesiology to MS Health Sciences, which has courses in Epidemiology, Global Health, Theories and models of health behaviors, Program design and evaluation, etc.
      I emailed my advisor to make the switch as I feel as though it will make my application stronger for PA school, but am now unsure if it will make a difference between MS Kine or Health Sciences. 
      Any thoughts or comments?
      Thank you so much for your time
    • By Perdikos
      Hello!  I’m currently a senior biology major working as a medical scribe for a bit over 1 year now. I have accumulated about 1100 hours so far and have a cGPA of 3.63 and a science GPA of 3.36. I also have volunteered at a food bank with about 100 hours during the weekends. As a scribe I chart many aspects of the patient visit including vitals, HPI, physical exam and future plans. I also occasionally assist the provider with small tasks such as cerumen flushing in internal medicine or taking an US in a rheumatology setting. I have been researching PA programs to apply to and focusing on those that list scribing as PCE.  I am worried that this experience alone may not be enough as some schools don’t mention scribing as true PCE and I don’t feel I am able to gain another experience as I am currently studying for the GRE, working 3 times a week and will begin my next school semester soon. During my gap year after I apply I will have more time to find another part time job but this won’t be reflected on my application.  Will I still have a chance at being accepted into a program next cycle and if not what else do you recommend I do prior to applying? Thanks for any help you can provide. 
    • By neverknowsbest
      Hello, this is my first time posting on this website and am hoping to get some help. I just made a profile on the CASPA website recently. When I went to look for these two programs I am interested in I could not find them. Do programs not show up until certain times during the year? Thank you in advance. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More