Does an ER PA get assigned just one supervising physician or any ER physician?

I'm a pre-PA student working in the ER as a scribe and would like to become an ER PA after getting certified. I'm wondering how that normally works. First, is there an assignment to a permanent supervising physician or is it assigned each shift or some other means? Second, in Texas, can an ER PA admit a patient to the hospital or does the supervising physician have to do the admission?

I have a supervising MD who is my "official" SP per the state medical board. In reality, I almost never work with him because he works nights and I am typically on days with the occasional night shift.

There are 40ish attending MDs in my group and it depends where the schedule puts me as to whom I work with - I've worked with everyone at one point or another. Our EDs are set up in smaller treatment areas with a doc/PA team covering. I always sign up for patients with one of the MD's names on the chart, and I go to him/her with questions. They get the charts to cosign. They don't have to necessarily see all my pts - they do want to see high acuity pts, Medicare pts, and people that need to be admitted though (some of that is to be able to bill higher). I usually call for admission on my own patients.

in my group pas have a sponsoring physician of record but whoever the doc is on any given day ends up signing all the charts. I have not worked with my actual sp in over a year and almost never work with a doc at all as most of my shifts now are solo. they review my notes within a month and leave feedback by email or a note in my box as needed.

at 2 of my current 3 jobs I have admission privileges. at the other job(my primary job) a doc just needs to sign the admission orders but I can do the rest.

Archived