Help with RVU Bonus?

I got an offer today for an Urgent Care Gig

It includes 95,000 salary (45.68 per hr), Full health/dental no cost to me, 1% matching 401k, 2 weeks PTO, 10,000 sign on bonus, malpractice paid.

It also includes $10.00 per RVU for each RVU generated over 3250 per year, BONUS.

This is a 3 year contract.

Is the RVU bonus subject to higher taxes than my normal income will be? How many RVU's can I expect based on an avg pt load of 25 pt per day?

I am going to counter with a request for DEA, License Registration paid, and 50 dollars per/hr.

I have never worked based on RVU, so this is new, all help I can get would be great!!!!

Let's say, for easy math, you work 10 hrs/, 4 days/week, 50 weeks a year. Yields about 2000 works hrs/ year.

You say you expect to average 3 pts/ hr, yields 6000 pt/ year.

Urgent care usually averages acuity/ severity levels 2-4, with 5 being critical care. Let's average acuity as level 2.5, which with urgent care yields about 1.5-2.5 RVU/pt... Yielding about 9000-15000 RVUs/ pt.

Now some pts will be level I 0.5 RVUs, but that will be the rare pt.

Couple questions:

Does your contract stiplulate RVUs COLLECTED, or simply BILLED?

Let's split the RVU range and agree with 6k patient visits/ year, you might bill 12000 RVUs. Say you collect 50%.

Leaves you with 2800 RVUs over your 3200 minimum, yielding a 28 k bonus

As to your tax question, there in no difference in taxing the bonus from salary, as the bonus is included in the salary...

If the bonus is indeed that large, you may find that it bumps you into a different tax bracket, which will effect your total tax burden.

Ask your potential employer the typical RVU/severity level of the clinic( don't forget procedures!)

Match that data against my numbers.

If at all compatible, sounds like a sweet deal, and one I would take..

Assuming that you can get access to an accurate set of books.

Good luck

many places pay out rvu bonuses either monthly or quarterly.

I don't like depending on rvu bonuses to meet my financial needs. I have had bonuses range from 220 dollars to 19,000 dollars and you don't really know what it will be until the check arrives. my contracts have always been written that bonuses for the group come out of profit. if the group decides(the docs decide...) to buy a new 45k fluoro machine that quarter everyone's bonuses will be less. the pas have no control over this. I work on a bonus system at my primary job and I just assume that the bonus will be zero. I can't count on it so I shouldn't budget for it. one quarter I bought my wife a new car for cash with my bonus. anothr quarter we went to dinner with my bonus.

I prefer a straight hourly rate whether I see 6 pts/hr or spend the whole shift drinking coffee. both of my per diem jobs are structured this way and that is money I can count on every month. dollars/hr x hrs=money before taxes, not dollars/hr+/- fuzzy math= income. several of my colleagues try to budget for an avg bonus level. somethimes it works, sometimes they have to sell a car to pay the mortgage...

I got the 50/hr, DEA/Licensing fees paid, and 4% year raise. The hospital gave me RVU data from 2012 on their NPs that work in outlying clinics. The most RVUs was 4600. That seems extremely low and they must not be seeing many patients or they suck at documenting.

• 3 years later...

I got the 50/hr, DEA/Licensing fees paid, and 4% year raise. The hospital gave me RVU data from 2012 on their NPs that work in outlying clinics. The most RVUs was 4600. That seems extremely low and they must not be seeing many patients or they suck at documenting.

Hey I sent you a DM. I'd love the opportunity to chat, I'm in the same boat. 

Archived