Latest physician salaries, 2012

Crazy. Why aren't we all just going to med school again?? Tomorrow I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a set of MCAT review books...

The real question should be: Why aren't we all WORKING INDEPENDENTLY!? Pulling near that amount of money doesn't require a change in initials after your name.

The real question should be: Why aren't we all WORKING INDEPENDENTLY!? Pulling near that amount of money doesn't require a change in initials after your name.

Because here is a huge difference between autonymous and independent.

As a profession, we are not desirous of independent practice. Right? Right??

Because here is a huge difference between autonymous and independent.

As a profession, we are not desirous of independent practice. Right? Right??

Not sure if you are being facetious? Butt......I am desirous of getting rid of the Depends. No supervisory language either. Collaboration? Sure. We, as a profession, and by professional ethics are required to collaborate and work within our scope. I see us as no different as the independent DPM, OD, DC, NP. All work within their scope and collaborate with other professional colleagues. IMHO. Independent initially out of PAs school? NO, graduated independence and autonomy granted within 5 years, especially to those of us who work in rural, underserved, inner-city where the MD/DO fears to tread.

Not sure if you are being facetious? Butt......I am desirous of getting rid of the Depends. No supervisory language either. Collaboration? Sure. We, as a profession, and by professional ethics are required to collaborate and work within our scope. I see us as no different as the independent DPM, OD, DC, NP. All work within their scope and collaborate with other professional colleagues. IMHO. Independent initially out of PAs school? NO, graduated independence and autonomy granted within 5 years, especially to those of us who work in rural, underserved, inner-city where the MD/DO fears to tread.
I agree, Paula! After 26 years in this business, I am weary of practicing at the whims of my SPs.

I agree with this too. My question is this -does this need to come from the national level OR does it have to be fought and won state by state?

I agree with this too. My question is this -does this need to come from the national level OR does it have to be fought and won state by state?

I would say state by state. AAPA will do a run around us as we start to push for it and it is to be expected that they won't support us initially. But they will have to come around as all of us become employees of hospitals, organizations and government with the rollout of the ACA. At least the prediction from some PA thinkers and researchers tell us we will be employees. No more private practices...etc. Otherwise if we are unsuccessful the PA profession will be one of an assistant, following protocols...much like CNAs, MAs, RTs, etc. Third tier. IMHO

The ONLY reason the NPs have been successful is because they defined "nursing" as diagnosis, treatment, labs, scripting meds, and performing surgery. Therefore they are regulated under the state boards of nursing who can do whatever they want. Right now the state nursing boards could declare neurosurgery the scope of practice for NPs and there is not a thing the MDs can do about it.

This is the only way for PAs to reach independence. As long as PAs are regulated by state medical boards, we arent going anywhere. We need state laws to change in order to create a "state board of physician associates"

Then we can do whatever we want, and the MDs dont have any control over it.

hummm math review

Undergrad - 100k

Medschool - 200k

Total Debt 300k

Average Doc pay - lets call it $250k

all of a sudden that "crushing debt" that so many of the doc's talk about, well, that is about the same as my $100k in debt for PA.... little over one years salary....

This of course does not include the MANY loan public loan repayments and the also many private (where the hospital just pays off the loans) deals that go on.

if you are a pipeline student - undergrad at 22, 1-2 years off, med school grad at 27, finish residency at about 32, then make 200-500k per year for the rest of your life.....

seems like a pretty sweet deal to me..... working 30 years yields income of between 6 MILLION and 15 MILLION

Hard to swallow the "we can't afford to pay you any more then 76k per year" or "we can't afford any more then $1,000 CME" or my favorite "the doc's all get full health insurance for family, but you need to pay 50%"(wrong on so many levels) arguments with data like that (especially when the PA is a revenue GENERATOR for a practice)

Agreed. Very true.

The ONLY reason the NPs have been successful is because they defined "nursing" as diagnosis, treatment, labs, scripting meds, and performing surgery. Therefore they are regulated under the state boards of nursing who can do whatever they want. Right now the state nursing boards could declare neurosurgery the scope of practice for NPs and there is not a thing the MDs can do about it.

This is the only way for PAs to reach independence. As long as PAs are regulated by state medical boards, we arent going anywhere. We need state laws to change in order to create a "state board of physician associates"

Then we can do whatever we want, and the MDs dont have any control over it.

We need just one state to change and have an independent state board of PAs. Whose state will it be? Then all others will follow suit.....will take time....lets work for that one state so the dominoes can fall.

hospital boards are made up of docs. no hospital would grant an np the right to do neurosurgery.

they could open an outpt retail drive through neurosurgery ctr and anyone who went there would deserve the result they got.

While that is true now, it wont be true in 10 years.

In fact, CMS and JHAACO are moving towards requirements that non MDs be allowed on the credentialing committees and the medical staff committee. In some states NPs are already allowed to be chief of the medical staff on hospitals. When that happens and reaches critical mass, the MDs wont have power to restrict hospital based procedures.

Archived