Westerner looking to relocate South?

Currently working as an EMED PA-C in So. Cal and the housing market may just drive us southeast. Anybody willing to speak on any of the EM groups in the Charlotte or Raleigh areas? Apparently I qualify for an expedited license in North Carolina but know little about practice laws and malpractice environment since I went to school in Cali. Any advice/help is appreciated :=D:

I can't answer your specific question, but having lived in 7 states and traveling extensively throughout the country, I would take Charlotte/Raleigh over SoCal any day. It is a beautiful area and the people are MUCH nicer than SoCal.

I do believe that Cali has one thing going for it - they have low malpractice rates due to a very low cap on punitive awards ($250K I think?).

• 4 weeks later...

I would consider the Winston-Salem/Greensboro area as well. We're not quite as metropolitan as Charlotte or Raleigh, but Winston in particular has a lot going for it with the evolution of downtown, our longstanding tradition of supporting the arts, little to no traffic as compared to CLT/RDU, good quality of life in general and you will be amazed what your $ can get you here in terms of housing as compared to So Cal. I came from LA to go to PA school here (was from NC originally), so I am all too aware of the pains of how much housing costs out that way!!!

There are two major hospitals in Winston-Salem alone within 5 miles of each other (Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, where I work as an ED PA - and Novant Forsyth Medical Center) along with several others in Greensboro and surrounding areas. The medical industry in general is the major employer here in Winston-Salem, so there are PA positions always coming available in the subspecialties as well. I know for a fact that our group (WFBMC) is looking to hire folks to work primarily in our Clinical Decision Unit of the ED right now as they are short at least 1-2 and we may at some point need another person to primarily cover the Acute Care/Fast Track areas also. Moses Cone ED in Greensboro and others have been staffing up on PAs lately as well. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have (PM if so) and there's more info at our local PA organization's page below as well. NC is a fantastic place to be a PA, I couldn't be happier here.

http://papanc.org/

Archived