Associates degree in PA or higher?

I wanted to know if a PA is marketable with just an associates? Or should I go for a masters. I would Like to get into the field ASAP. why would I wait, wouldnt I be marketable now?

Im looking at Kent state, Ohio state, columbus state community college as avenues since i do not have the resources to move out of the state to go to good schools that are known for their PA programs.. BUT.. lol, Im ambitious, just like the next guy, but will be willing to suffer for the reward. i believe the six figure rewards and perks and work level of the masters level of PA is better, but just with an AS degree How difficult is it to get into a doctors office or any other institution with just a associates degree?

Get the Associates. Too much degree creep. I was a proud graduate with an AAS, and started practice as a PA with only an Associates. Not one person...EVER, asked me what degree I had, etc.

I agree with Ventana, get the most cost effective degree, then do a bridge program like the ones at ATSU or Nebraska.

A PA is a PA is a PA....doesn't matter what friggin degree you have. If the program is accredited, and you pass the PANCE, well, then you're a PA......all the other stuff doesn't matter...

Get the Associates. Too much degree creep. I was a proud graduate with an AAS, and started practice as a PA with only an Associates. Not one person...EVER, asked me what degree I had, etc.

I agree with Ventana, get the most cost effective degree, then do a bridge program like the ones at ATSU or Nebraska.

A PA is a PA is a PA....doesn't matter what friggin degree you have. If the program is accredited, and you pass the PANCE, well, then you're a PA......all the other stuff doesn't matter...

I agree with physasst and ventana. But I also agree with Paula.

I went from AS to MS after graduating PA school. I did the ATSU Bachelors equivalency entrance program. But ATSU is going to be phasing out the Bachelor's equivalency. They are not sure exactly when but at graduation earlier this month, they told us prob by 2015 or a little after.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

My 1st choice PA Program is an AS program with an agreement with St. Francis University for the Master's in Medical Science. From what I understand you take 4 extra online classes during the clinical year and you graduate with an AA and an MMS Degree. Check St. Francis' website to see if your school has an agreement for the MMS degree.

Cheapest PA program you can find! Then do a bridge program to get your masters
Good advice. I originally got my Associates in 1987 (had at that time three years of college under my belt but no Bachelors.) I got my BS through Regents in NY, then my MPAS distance learning program at University of Nebraska. As far as I can tell in my 26 years, my credentials have not hurt me a bit. But then again I consider myself a blue collar grunt and never aspired to academia or other leadership roles. Once in a while, I do encounter condescending colleagues, but usually it is other PAs or NPs, not docs. If I could do it over again, I would have tried to get in one of the more prestigious programs, but I was young and immature then and very impatient. Then again, if I could go back in time I would put in the time and work to be an MD. Not that being a PA hasn't been extremely rewarding, but when you encounter a supervising physician who is especially micromanaging(thankfully rare), it does give one pause for thought!

My 1st choice PA Program is an AS program with an agreement with St. Francis University for the Master's in Medical Science. From what I understand you take 4 extra online classes during the clinical year and you graduate with an AA and an MMS Degree. Check St. Francis' website to see if your school has an agreement for the MMS degree.

I thought St. Francis requires a BA/BS for the MMS. That's how it was at Stanford a few years ago anyway...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Archived