NCCPA examines change in PANCE

Should NCCPA add a practical to PANCE?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Should NCCPA add a practical to PANCE?

• Hell yes, we need PAs to demonstrate clinical competence
    • hell no, PA school covers practicals already

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It never fails to surprise me how frequently arguments or debates erupt on this forum in the comparison of PAs to Medical Students. There remains this undisputed fiction that if the PA profession models its education in mirror fashion to that of undergraduate medical education, PAs will enjoy some unexplained advantage. I have to remind the curious reader that Nurse Practitioners are eating away at our future practice space and gaining more competitive advantage. They (NPs) do this with inferior training. So, I beg you to stop the internal wars and aim your guns where they should be targeted. On the groups who seek to do professional harm to PAs. Focus gentlemen. Focus.

Completely agree. Unless these extra testings, higher degrees (Doctorate) and other "advances" (including completing a residency) do not lead to being on equal ground to the NP's - INCLUDING INDEPENDENCE, then the PA profession is toast as we know it.

• 2 weeks later...

I skipped to the bottom after reading a while an am posting just on the physicial exams: What i learned is you have to perform a significant number of abnormal exams to get good at physical exams in general. What i see others doing are incomplete exams. I think getting good at it takes practice over time, that easily grabbing the belly and finding the right lamdmarks, ridges, honing in on significant abnormalities with out looking as you study the pts face. Once you discover abnormal, things progress.

Practice in OSCE (which i loathed) didnt do anything for me. Waste of time. However, if student will examine every pt encountered from head to toe on rotations, while they have the time, i think both their comfort and skill level would improve. Mine did and was one of my strong suits. Its easy to not do those exams when your following a doc or sent off to the 6 th floor to undress wounds for rounds. Just do as many as possible. (students)

Archived