Nasty little article

Guest JMPA

Oneal,

We are marketed as physician extenders. We are extending coverage to areas physicians alone cannot handle. Our practice is based on the supervision of a physician, in whatever capacity that may be. I see no problem as labeling us as physician extenders.

Respectfully,

It is nice we are delegated responsibilities physicians can't handle alone and need us to be their consulting provider. I'm more than happy to take the referral.

Nothing is inflammatory. JMPA is a troll. Just ignore him and he will eventually go back to his closet.

obviously boatswain is a mental midget, the article is directly refering to"extenders" being unable to perform physical exams and therefor endangering lives. if the PA community finds no problem with this then we are all in big trouble

I love this thread. I was never blue side, but I've heard horror stories about the BMs. My instructors at boot camp were boatswains, and I swear they had no soul. Moral is: Don't mess with a boats.

As an aside and back to the original topic...it's my understanding that the MEDEX program was so named because they were once referred to as MEDical EXtenders. I could be wrong though...

I love this thread. I was never blue side, but I've heard horror stories about the BMs. My instructors at boot camp were boatswains, and I swear they had no soul. Moral is: Don't mess with a boats.

No soul? Ouch, that hurts. Almost as much as JMPA calling me an assistant (ad nauseum).

I didn't do much deep blue stuff either. Mostly did coastal boat-based search and rescue/law enforcement for Uncle Sam's Confused Group (USCG). I don't know of another Boatswain (USN or USCG) who is a PA, but I hope I'm wrong!

What service were you in?

No soul? Ouch, that hurts. Almost as much as JMPA calling me an assistant (ad nauseum).

I didn't do much deep blue stuff either. Mostly did coastal boat-based search and rescue/law enforcement for Uncle Sam's Confused Group (USCG). I don't know of another Boatswain (USN or USCG) who is a PA, but I hope I'm wrong!

merely referring to the titles and the psychology behind it.

Boatswain - I'm a soon to be PA and proud (retired) member of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children... How many of us do you know that are PAs? Just curious.

Navy; green side FMF with USMC Infantry. Good times.

there was a marine helicopter pilot in my class. he did his 20, went to pa school(he was also a mental health tech) and got a job with the public health service. he's currently 56, sitting on a 36 yr pension at the rank of commander and still working full time

IC - I don't know of any other jarheads which doesn't surprise me considering how new I am to the field, how few marines there are, and how few "medical types" there were in the marines.

Corpsman- YOU guys are the BOMB (whoops....sorry for bringing the NSA into our conversation) and represent what the basic core of where our profession came from. I had a FMF guy in my class who was top-notch. How long were you in the Navy??

Archived