All:

I am admitted to PA school pending a passing grade in biochemistry, which I start in the fall. I work full-time, and there were no classroom-based, upper-level biochemistry classes available at any of the universities/colleges in my city that would fit into my ridiculously strict work schedule. Thus, I have to take the biochemistry course online! Ugh. I'm a little stressed out with the thought of basically teaching myself biochemistry, since chemistry itself is not my strong suit. Has anyone on here taken biochemistry online? If so, please let me know your study strategies, helpful tips, etc. I am taking this distance course through Iowa State.

Thanks!

I took online biochm through university of New England while working full-time. Chem is definitely not my strong suit either, hated orgo, but I thought my biochm class was great. My class used dvds and a textbook. I just watched the dvds with my book open, paused it to read pertinent areas, and wrote extra notes I could review while walking, riding the bus, etc. Got an A. Found the class very interesting. Good luck!

@imperial: You just made my day! I hated organic as well, but I figure that biochemistry will be more or less a culmination of all of the prerequisite courses I've had to take thus far, so I'm hoping for the best. Do you remember what textbook your instructor used? Our syllabus requires "Biochemistry: A Short Course", 2nd edition. It seems to be pretty standard for most non-lab biochemistry classes, from what I've seen. Thank you!

Glad to help! Our text was marks' basic medical biochemistry. 3rd edition. Its set up in a way that you follow 10 or 12 different pts with different dzs. You learn the biochemistry behind it. Makes it pretty interesting. I'm keeping my book in hopes it may help me at times during didactic year. By the way, not sure about you, but I didn't like inorganic chm 1 or 2 either.

I felt like I understood the content of organic better than inorganic 1 and 2, but I got better grades in inorganic. I studied about 30 hours a week in organic and got a C. I studied MAYBE 4 hours a week in both of my inorganic classes and got A's. Just infuriating. :)

I also took Biochem at UNE...without having ever taken Organic. I absolutely despise chemistry and I did all of my prereqs last year through UNE while working full-time. It was tough basically teaching yourself, particularly after working a 10 hour day, but it can be done. Just remember, you just have to know enough to pass. It was a bit scary having the final be your whole grade but the professor is so helpful! He calls you when you begin the course and will call you if you have any questions. He's great! I wish you the best of luck :)

Archived