Current 2013 applicants

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While no one has to listen to me, I have heard so many bad things about WSU PA from a friend who is finishing their second semester now. Supposedly they kicked out more people than ever before in 2013. And the professors, especially Carol and Stephanie, simply don't care about the students. My friend always feels like a number and when they do need assistance, as clearly many people did before they were dismissed, there was not help to be had. I hear CMU is fantastic and the professors support you if you do need help along the way. I'd encourage people to really examine if WSU is really all it is cracked up to be beyond the price. Too much work has been spent getting in just to be kicked out first semester. My friend says if she had to do it again, she'd had gone to Western or Toledo. Best of luck to all wherever you end up.

Unless you know the specific reasons and have detail beyond 'supposedly' for why students were dismissed (I know specifically why one student is no longer there), or first-hand experience with a prof 'simply' not caring, I think it's unfair and bad form to anonymously but publicly bad-mouth the program. I also have a friend in WSU's program.

Attrition is normal, and not every student accepted is a slam-dunk pass; admins and students themselves realize this after the fact with every PA program in the country - a student there a few years ago just up and quit the program after paying lots of money after realizing it wasn't for him/her.

As I've been told about WSU's program and some of the frustrating encounters I expect to navigate: its PANCE pass rates, well-established site relationships with unbeatable clinical experiences in Detroit, and generally well-respected PAs working in the field speak more about the value of the program then current frustrations that may (hopefully) be resolved by WSU down the road.

Well said. To be honest I have heard much worse things about udm. But I think there will always be people who have negative things to say about programs all over the US. I've generally heard nothing but great things from past and present WSU students, maybe one or two people that I've spoken to said negative things. I think its expected. PA school isn't easy and I think many people don't realize how much you have to sacrifice to do well in the program. However like PAtoB said, the high PANCE rates and clinical rotations and reputation speaks volumes.

FIRST - has anyone else been accepted?  If so, let us know so we can get you in the class facebook group!

And also - Ditto to what MaryRose and PA2B said...

The negatives I've heard about WSU revolve around the fact that students have to look out for themselves rather than the school or the counseling center.  While it is a point to consider, I'm an adult and can look out for myself anyway... and as a PA, we'll be required to do so.  What's more, I have to wonder at such a negative comment at this stage of the game.  Possibly a disillusioned applicant?  No matter how you slice it, PA school is going to be hard, and not everyone will make it.  That's the reason that entrance is so carefully reviewed.  Schools want to ensure they're getting the students most likely to sacrifice and stick it out.  

PAJouy- Did they reply giving you a time frame of when they would follow up? Last year I emailed them end of November and recieved feedback beginning of January. But, I did have to send another email before that to remind them. So you may have to email them again if it has been 3 weeks... They are probably just really busy with getting the class together and such.

My time-frame last year was the same as yours, MaryRose. Rejected around Thanksgiving, asked for feedback immediately, and didn't receive feedback until January 10th. All mine said was "Improve interview skills." D: I did send an email in late December to check in, but it didn't seem to speed things up at all.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived