Secondary application

I just did the math on the estimated tuition from our admission letter and the program is raising tuition by tens of thousands of dollars next year. $12,000 to $12,500 per quarter for 9 quarters... so $112,500 for the program in its entirety. I almost overlooked that as it was in the attachment. Private schools cost this much so it's not that shocking but I was surprised at the huge hike, particularly from a public school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just did the math on the estimated tuition from our admission letter and the program is raising tuition by tens of thousands of dollars next year. $12,000 to $12,500 per quarter for 9 quarters... so $112,500 for the program in its entirety. I almost overlooked that as it was in the attachment. Private schools cost this much so it's not that shocking but I was surprised at the huge hike, particularly from a public school.

This is blowing my  mind. How can that be possible when our tuition is $31K/yr?????? I am seriously thinking this is a mistake....Ask. Look into this. Find out. 

First off congratulations to those of you who got in and those who are wait listed, best of luck to all of you in the program! 

I like akbynum and kurban89 was declined as well.  I had a feeling with how long they were taken this time around that the process was going to be slightly different than the past, but was still hoping I was going to make it through the cut. I like everyone else who did not get in is also very disappointed, and even more so as this is my second cycle of applying to PA schools and UCD was my only interview to this point.  I am curious as to how many secondary applications they sent out compared to the number that they interviewed as well as if it was the SON or if it was the UCD Graduate Studies Department who made the final say as to who got in or not?

I know that all of you who got in are very excited and I wish you all the best of luck, but if some of you would not mind sharing some of your history as to what you think might have helped you get in that would be greatly appreciated.  I have been working for the past five years now on getting pre-requisites completed, some courses re-taken, as well as shadowing and volunteer work to become a PA and I am not going to give up on my dream.  So any information that you all may have that you do not mind putting out there would be greatly appreciated.

Once again good luck to all of you in the program and those on the waitlist! 

This is blowing my mind. How can that be possible when our tuition is $31K/yr?????? I am seriously thinking this is a mistake....Ask. Look into this. Find out.

I did look into this and it is correct. I also emailed the program directly to confirm. They said tuition is not finalized but this is their best estimate (I imagine based on their proposal to the board of reagents). $12,000-$12,500 per quarter for 9 quarters.

Welcome to the UC system. For undergrad my tuition went up 40-50% at a drop of a hat based off what the Regents agreed to.

"The School of Nursing and the Nursing Science and Health-Care Leadership (NSHL) Graduates Group have submitted a fee structure revision commensurate with other programs in the State in an effort to achieve financial sustainability of this important program, as was discussed with applicants during the interview day. The fee schedule for the fall entering class has not yet completed the approval process but is proposed to be within the range of $12,000 – $12,500 per quarter for each of the 9 quarters. Once the fee level is approved, the fees will be fixed for your cohort, assuming completion of the Master’s degree by September 2016.1 This “cohort-based” fee structure is designed to provide students with certainty of the fee structures for the entire program. Please note this cost is for tuition and fees only and does not include personal expenses such as the cost of living, health insurance and books/supplies."

First off congratulations to those of you who got in and those who are wait listed, best of luck to all of you in the program!

I like akbynum and kurban89 was declined as well. I had a feeling with how long they were taken this time around that the process was going to be slightly different than the past, but was still hoping I was going to make it through the cut. I like everyone else who did not get in is also very disappointed, and even more so as this is my second cycle of applying to PA schools and UCD was my only interview to this point. I am curious as to how many secondary applications they sent out compared to the number that they interviewed as well as if it was the SON or if it was the UCD Graduate Studies Department who made the final say as to who got in or not?

I know that all of you who got in are very excited and I wish you all the best of luck, but if some of you would not mind sharing some of your history as to what you think might have helped you get in that would be greatly appreciated. I have been working for the past five years now on getting pre-requisites completed, some courses re-taken, as well as shadowing and volunteer work to become a PA and I am not going to give up on my dream. So any information that you all may have that you do not mind putting out there would be greatly appreciated.

Once again good luck to all of you in the program and those on the waitlist!

Hi Joe, happy to offer some help and thoughts on why I feel my application was ultimately successful in garnering me admission offers (including UCD). I would absolutely want someone to offer advice to me if I was in the same situation. Check your inbox/personal messages and we can schedule a time to chat. :) You have a great attitude and desire to persevere despite any obstacles- love that!

UC Davis is making a HUGE mistake with this increase in tuition. Being the only public school in CA plus their "attainability" with regard to cost, they had such an advantage over all of the other CA programs (and probably could have gained intensive national recognition because of it--thus, highly qualified students from ALL OVER!).

Whatever. YOU ARE GOING TO BE A PA. DAMN IT. Do whatever it takes! I still pinch myself every day since we started. It's surreal people, but your dreams are coming true! I'd pay a million dollars (well, daddy government would pay and then I would use every fiber of my being to do loan repayment options...ha!) to become a PA if that's what it takes!

Congratulations to everyone who has received your acceptance letters! To those waitlisted: our cohort has waitlisted applicants and it would appear that many people are choosing other programs, so wait for those acceptance letters to come in. Those who were not accepted, take it as constructive criticism that you're not ready yet, get some more clinical hours, become fluent in spanish and maybe take a sciency course to increase that GPA, apply on JUNE 1. No later than that! Good luck!

I'm curious if anyone on here is NP? My financial agreement attachment says the cost for tuition and fees last year was aprox $26,000...says nothing about cost per quarter. Am i missing something or did NPs and PAs get different attachments?

Hi, I did not get anything regarding fees either, the attachment just said the fees had not been established. 

UC Davis is making a HUGE mistake with this increase in tuition. Being the only public school in CA plus their "attainability" with regard to cost, they had such an advantage over all of the other CA programs (and probably could have gained intensive national recognition because of it--thus, highly qualified students from ALL OVER!).

Isn't RCC also a public school?

Hi Everyone,

Wow!  I just didn't expect any of our group to get rejections at this point and my heart goes out to all of you in that position. Big congratulations to all of you accepted.  I was put on the wait list so the uncertainty continues, perhaps for many months. 

I really appreciate all of you who have shared your status and even given us a sense of your plans. 

I am hopeful this dream of mine can still come true and I can join the class, even if it ends up being at the last minute! 

Hi,

I received an acceptance email into the NP Program and here is what my financial support agreement stated regarding last year fees:

"The fees for your education are set by the UC Regents and they are not yet released for summer 2014.  However, for the 2013-14 academic year, the fees for Summer/Fall/Winter/Spring were $25,453 for California Residents (not including health insurance)1. This is a good reference point to estimate the fees for your first year of enrollment."

BTW, does anybody want to roommate??  Message me please.  :)

I also have been admitted to the program. Best of luck to those on the wait list!

I'm not sure if I can help, but anyone who wants to talk about the admission process just pm me.

Regarding costs, I think they simply realize that we will all willingly pay exorbitant sums of money (because of skyrocketing demand) and have decided to cash in on that. Unfortunate, but they did warn us :(

Archived