Secondary application

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never applied to FAFSA, does anyone know if we can we fill those out even though we have not been accepted into a program?

Yes you can. I believe towards the end of the application, it will ask what schools you want to send your Fafsa to, make sure to add UC Davis as one of your options. And I can't say exactly when the date is, but there is a deadline.

This makes me nervous; as I'm sure this will be a life changing move for all of us, if we get accepted. March just doesn't seem like enough time to get things ready to go in order to start the program in June (relocating, finding jobs* if anyone of us are planning to work, housing, etc). I guess we gotta be ready for whatever happens.

Patience. Patience is definitely key. Oh and maybe luck...lol

This makes me nervous; as I'm sure this will be a life changing move for all of us, if we get accepted. March just doesn't seem like enough time to get things ready to go in order to start the program in June (relocating, finding jobs* if anyone of us are planning to work, housing, etc). I guess we gotta be ready for whatever happens.

Patience. Patience is definitely key. Oh and maybe luck...lol

I totally agree! It would be great to take time to get to know the city and a safe place to live and so on. Also getting an RN license in California can take like 8-10  weeks or so and cost at least $150. It would be great to know so I can get everything started and have my license by the time school starts. Yeah the wait is tough :(

For those of you who are nervous about admissions:

While my class learned of our admission in late January, we had no idea when we would actually be starting. My lease in Fresno ended before I could find a place here, did a bit of couch hopping and finally got the date on when we would start (6/24). Took off to Hawaii with the bf spur of the moment, came back, found the very first apartment we looked at, put a down payment down and started 5 days later. 

It happens quick. Prepare yourself for that. But more importantly, the entire program goes by quickly. So when I say prepare yourselves, I'm definitely not kidding. Think of this "not knowing" phase as a taste of what the next two years will be. And I say that with endearment because I absolutely love this program, where I am in it, and what I've learned thus far. 

For those who are getting nervous about housing: my classmates and I are dispersed all over Sacramento and Davis. If you're not into a 30+ minute commute, hang out around Downtown/Midtown. There are some places right next to campus but it's also a slightly bit more expensive. If you can offset the cost of gas/parking then it might be worth it. If you don't care much about driving in traffic, West Sacramento and East Sacramento are not only safe but relatively inexpensive compared to the heart of Sac. Davis is a whole different beast in terms of commuting, but my classmates that live there love it and don't mind the commute so much. 

Lastly, once you get in--go do something fun. Like I said, my bf and I took a spontaneous trip to Hawaii together for a week and it was so worth it because now we don't get as much time together without my textbooks--knowing that we took advantage of what little time we had as the best decision we made for our relationship before starting this program. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. Good luck! 

As Tall_Scrubs said above, this is excellent preparation! There are times when you will have no idea whatsoever what is going on until the very last minute...and you will have to deal with it. That is not a bad thing. The real world is like that. Medicine is like that. You have to be able to roll with the punches, and you are getting a headstart. :)

Trust me...I love to be organized. I love to plan things out in advance, and make checklists for myself of study goals I want to accomplish over the weekend. Sometimes, however, it just doesn't happen like that. Keep in mind that the program does let you know when exams will be, assignment deadlines, etc, but lectures, readings, time changes will often pop up at the last minute.

If you live out of town, it sucks. I get that. You want to know the deal so you can come, get a place, kick back, and prepare for school, but if you find out in a few months, that's a lot better than finding out a week before school starts. :)

While I agree with my wonderful classmate above, I also think that doing something fun is not the only way to spend your time before school. By all means, take a vacation, visit your family, go dancing, go drinking, go running, and enjoy life...but...it will not hurt to take some time to review A&P if you are rusty, or flip through some textbooks to make sure your study habits are still up to par.

Also, and this will vary with every student out there. Some people in our class are working on the side (mostly NP students) and are doing fine in the program. If you have a significant other who is working, and supporting you, maybe this isn't a problem...but...some people in our class say that they are struggling financially. Some advice:

1. If you are able to use digital textbooks, instead of hard copies, go for it, they can be much cheaper.

2. You will all be assigned a big sibling! Most of us keep our books, but we can give you a heads up of what was useful, what wasn't, etc.

3. Start keeping an eye out for potential living situations. Weight out all of the options as mentioned above. (Rent, Gas, Parking permits, Timing). I live in Elk Grove which is only a 10-15 minute drive without traffic, but 35 with (usually only a problem after school when we get out at 5 and I want to go straight home). Some people live in Roseville which can be over an hour drive with traffic.

4. You're an adult, duh, so be responsible. :) Budget your financial aid so you're not eating ramen at the end of the quarter, waiting for the next one to start.

I am so happy that all of you have made it this far and submitted your secondaries. You will find out before you know it, and in a few short months we'll be sitting here at Med Ed (I'm in a lecture now) chatting it up before we head over to the Marriott for a glass of wine after glass. If you have any questions, I'm sure myself or Tall_Scrubs would be happy to answer the best we can. :)

Good Luck!!!

Thank you for the kind words and helpful information Tall_scrubs and SacPrePA! It is very nice of you guys to help provide insight to us as we anxiously wait to hear the big news!

I just checked my application status and it still says "submitted" this worries me since Lar957 and MsRN said their application status is "complete and currently under review." 

Do any of you still have "submitted" as your status?

Crossing my fingers we hear really soon!! Hope everyone is enyoying the new year.

Tall_scrubs and SacPrePA--- I really appreciate all the information and advice that you have provided us! It really does help through the waiting process.

Akbynum --- I have "complete and currently under review" but I am sure that they are gradually going through the process! I don't think you need to worry :)

Just to echo SacPrePA's advice; things I wish I had studied more seriously before starting the program:

1. Renal anatomy and physiology (especially RAAS)

2. Menstrual/Ovarian Cycle

3. Neuro: SNS, PNS

4. Gastric physiology

5. Endocrinology (thyroid, adrenal, pituitary, hypothalamus, etc + all of their hormones/actions)

but mostly renal phys. I hate kidneys (kidnies? haha)

Hello I have a question for you UC Davis applicants. For their pre-requisites to apply on their webpage they say one course of anatomy and one course of physiology but don't mention the combined AP I and II series. Does this mean they don't accept AP I & II? I just took that series at Sacramento community colleges (it covered absolutely everything AP related). And when I called the UC Davis PA program the girl said they don't accept the combined AP courses, how is this possible when most other programs do? Doesn't make sense. Any feedback would be great, thanks.

My thoughts although I took A & P separately: Many programs have very specific requirements that you need to double check for. If the admissions department specifically says they do not accept a combined course that may be true. Possible due to the lab criteria? I had taken a Microbiology course that was not labeled "General Microbiology" but instead "Microbiology for Health Professionals" and it did not suffice. Its unfortunate, but at the end of the day it is worth it to prepare you adequately for the full work load we will be going through!

Hello I have a question for you UC Davis applicants. For their pre-requisites to apply on their webpage they say one course of anatomy and one course of physiology but don't mention the combined AP I and II series. Does this mean they don't accept AP I & II? I just took that series at Sacramento community colleges (it covered absolutely everything AP related). And when I called the UC Davis PA program the girl said they don't accept the combined AP courses, how is this possible when most other programs do? Doesn't make sense. Any feedback would be great, thanks.

Hi there,

This is definitely not the case because I took the full year sequence of combined A&P I and II at my university and I received a supplementary app (passed the interview stage) from Davis this year. Hope this info helps- don't worry about it! You're covered!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Guys,

I was just accepted into 2 other programs within the last 24 hours.  Now I get to decide for a million times over which program I should attend.  As I was making another pros and cons list, I noticed new info on the Financial Aid website for UC Davis.  At least I think its new?  Anyone else see this?  

If in doubt, my vote is to email her (or better yet call). I had a huge issue with my supplemental getting "caught" in their system and if I had not been proactive in getting the problem resolved it is likely my app would never have been seen by graduate admissions. This is your future- always best to double check! :)

I contacted April about my status last week as mine persistently showed a Fall transcript not received (even though in early January I spoke to April and she did indeed have that transcript).  She assured me not to worry.  Now mine shows the transcript received, but doesn't say "submitted."  I presume I am looking at the same "check your application" page you others are.  I wouldn't worry as I think all our applications are just slowly going through various stages of the process.

Hmm, just read Remster's post. I certainly agree that contacting her wouldn't hurt!

Yeah I think it's best to always err on the side of caution. Many people on the forum (super well meaning and great, supportive folks- no blame on them of course!) told me not to worry when I didn't get my confirmation email with the link to our application status, even though I had saved my confirmation info when I submitted the app. I couldn't help but get worried and decided to make the call. 100% right decision because there was a major problem (computer glitch on their end, not mine that took over a week to resolve).

Archived