Can PA's serve as medical directors for EMS units - or provide online med control?

Are there states where PA's can serve as the primary medical director for EMS agencies? In Ohio (my state) they can not. A portion of this may be that in Ohio PA's may not prescribe schedule II medications, which are common parts of paramedic protocols.

Also, are there states where a PA, e.g. one working in an ER, can provide online medical direction to an EMS unit calling in for orders? Again, in Ohio, only an MD or DO can.

Thanks

In South Central CT, as a paramedic riding for medical control, you must ride with a specific PA who grants the Med Con and as far as online medical direction, usually an MD/DO give that, but a PA can give online med direction to EMS in the field

Can't wait to take you out for your check ride Jordan; I'll make sure you get punished appropriately!! :) (welcome to the board BTW)

-KB

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm currently working on a research project of PA's involvement in EMS as per state legislation. Montana is the ONLY state in the US where PA's are specifically listed in legislation as being allowed to be solo medical directors of an EMS agency...and nothing is listed as being required to have a supervising physician medical director.

I'm currently working on a research project of PA's involvement in EMS as per state legislation.

sounds like a good topic for a DHSc thesis...(nova or atsu)

true anomaly, pa-c, dhsc

residency and fellowship trained em pa ......there is no clinical, admin, or faculty job out of reach with those creds....

Archived