SJVC c/o 2013 applicants FYI

Hi Lesh,

Should we expect rejection/acceptance letters by this week? I called the school and they said that they were going to be sent out last week? It certainly is a wild ride =) I'm a nervous wreck everytime the mail comes in.

-Sumeet

Some were. But due to the volume of applications being reviewed the process is taking longer. We are now concentrating on getting the interview dates set.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the deal. Don't get to excited about Friday. You may not be hearing anything till next week. We will be interviewing 9 days, March 2nd-12th. The Admission office will be calling with the interview time and date. The final count is 162 interviews will be offered.

LesH

Let the games begin. The Admission office should start calling today. We are scheduling CV applicants first, then those outside the CV then out of state applicants. Interview time slots are assigned by the SJVC admissions department. The program handles the interviews and selection. We plan to average 15 interviews per day. Full Panel interview can be with faculty, preceptors, graduates, SJVC Admission Director, Registrar or Dean of Students participating.

There is a writing sample taken the day of the interview. Several short essay questions. We get the "personal statement" from the responses. Applicants will be requested to bring certain financial documents and meet with a FA representative the day of the interview. A picture will be taken after the interview to be placed in the application. Typical interview questions. Looking for applicant's that meet the mission of the program.

The ADCOM is very seasoned IMHO. There are members that will focus on academics, others on HCE or community service, some on Question 7 of the application (if you didn't have to explain anything under question 7 you won't be asked about it). After we ask our questions the applicant has an opportunity to ask us questions.

Selection will be done at the end of interviews. We plan to notify between April 15th and May first. This will be the first time we have had to manage an applicant pool this large so please have patience. We have 23 positions available at this time. That may increase to 24 pending notification of a re-enrollment. We have an alternate list of about ten. Some years we go deep into the list some years not so deep. It really doesn't matter where one ranks on the alternate list.

One last thing. It's winter. Pay attention to the road conditions of the I5 coming through the grapevine. If there's rain in So Cal there may be snow at Tejon pass and grapevine may be closed. Unfortunately, we tend not reschedule interviews, the good news is the ADCOM really appreciates those applicant's that do what they have to do to get to the interview.

If you search some of the other SJVC treads on admissions they should answer any other questions I can think of right now.

Thanks for your interest in the SJVC PA program. Good luck in your future PA-S endeavors.

LesH

No matter how you cut it, until you get a letter, you are still in the running. There are four boxes and one rolling file cabinet of applications to get through. Friendly competition is an understatement. I'd focus on why attending this particular program and how does one fit in with the mission of this program. Just saying.

Wow! that is heavy competition...how many applicants did SJVC get in total? Should we expect letters/phone calls this week for those who live outside CV?

220 (poor Monica knows the numbers by heart). I'm afraid I can't tell you when to expect the letter/calls. That depends on the U.S. mail and how soon admissions can get the calls out.

LesH

Hi Lesh,

Do you have any updates on interviews or rejection letters? Is the school in the process of still calling people for interviews?

Yes, admissions is still making calls. With all due respect just chill out. Okay....just saying.

Les

This place is VERY helpful...Ive been posting here for many many many years and I can say that I learned a lot simply from reading.

This PA forum is a really awesome tool... I don't remember if I heard about it in orientation? But the forum helps so much with the application process, getting to know more about the profession. I'm surprised more applicants aren't on here.

Archived