SJVC c/o 2013 applicants FYI

To those applying for the class of 2013, we thank you for your interest in our program. We are currently accepting applications; the deadline is January 31, 2011. Interviews will be scheduled for February and we hope to have the class selected by April.

Please allow me to share some additional information that would be good to know for our interview:

The Mission:

Mission of the Physician Assistant Program:Educate and train students to become competent, compassionate primary care physician assistants who practice medicine and other health care services under the supervision of licensed physicians; and who are committed to help improve health care for rural, multi-cultural and ethnically diverse underserved populations of geographic region known as the Central Valley of California.

Goal of the Physician Assistant Program:The San Joaquin Valley College Primary Care Physician Assistant Program’s goal is to enhance the health of individuals who reside in rural and disadvantaged communities. The objectives are to:

• Provide education and training in primary care medicine to students who are interested in becoming physician assistants.
  • Add to the supply of primary care services in rural communities.
  • Increase careers in the health care professions for members of rural, disadvantaged groups and underutilized health professionals.
  • Contribute knowledge, expertise and service to the community.

Preference given to those with healthcare experience and have demonstrated a commitment to working in underserved communities.

• There are 23 positions available for the class of 2013. Typically 3 applicants are interviewed for each position. That may change this year due to # of available positions in other California PA programs. It’s too early to tell.
  • Average HCE on entry: 6 years with Medical Assistant, EMS, corpsman most common HCE. Average Sci GPA: 3.0 Overall 2.9
  • Approximately 40% had AS/AA or equivalent as highest credential, 55% had BS, 5% graduate degree (MS, MPH, MD)

Information on St. Francis Masters in Medical Science

http://www.francis.edu/MMSTemplate.aspx?id=50054&ekmensel=c580fa7b_636_638_50054_3

• There are no international rotation/experiences, the program coordinates and assigns all clinical placement. All clinical training is done in the Central Valley of California. Know something about healthcare in rural areas, specifically the Central Valley of California. It helps trust me…
  • 60% resided in Central Valley before entry into program, 45% from elsewhere in California and 5% from outside of California.
  • Current six year first time pass rate 84%. Six year overall pass rate 97%
  • 70% of graduates practice in Primary Care specialties nationally.
  • 67% of graduates practice in medically underserved areas, health professional shortage areas or with medically underserved populations in California.
  • 31% of graduates are NHSC or California HPEF Scholars/LRP recipients
  • There are 111 graduates.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1373355272&ref=profile#!/group.php?gid=55686763994

HTH

LesH

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for attending our last orientation for this admission cycle. I was told there were 20 people coming so it was a pleasant surprise to have to move to a bigger room. I think most of your questions were answered and there were some very good questions. Thanks for that. Remember what you heard from Monica and the students. Have a plan or plan to fail! It's really that simple.

We have tried to provide as much information about our program as possible. If you are a forum member or attended any of our functions you pretty much know what the program is about, what we look for in students, and what is expected academically and professionally. Many of you seemed to know graduates of the program so you have that insight as well.

Here is one last example of student life at SJVC

As we move toward the second phase of the Admission cycle, you should be contacted when your application is received BY THE COLLEGE. After the program reviews the application the interview invites will go out. For those that need to know stats with about 2 weeks before the deadline about 90 applications are somewhere in the process to be reviewed. Calling the college or the program about where you are in the process isn't going to speed up the process. Sorry, its a wild ride here on out till March. Good luck in your future PA endeavors.

Thanks your interest in the SJVC Primary Care PA Program.

LesH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the double posts, I don't know what I did wrong. Guess I am getting tried...lol. We are down to reviewing the last 40 or so applications. Hopefully this will be completed next week. We historically call applicants to set up interviews and send out letters to those we do not extend an interview. That may be different this year due to the increased number of apps (sorry, I can't tell you the numbers because we aren't done). We have been consistent with an interview pool of about 75-80 for the past few years. So we expect that as a baseline. I do know some letters have gone out. Please let us call you if we need anything. Calling us only slows the process down, sorry. We anticipate starting to interview the first week of March; select and notify folks by tax day.

Thanks for your interest in our program.

LesH

Archived