Midwestern University IL - Entering Class for 2014

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

msmagraw - I'm studying for the GRE to retake in September to make my application more competitive. Would you be able to post some tips on how you studied? Time frame, how many practice exams, what books you used, and any other tips you think would help to increase my GRE score?

Thanks so much :)

patachok - when you say Midwestern is pretty bent upon the GRE, do you know what they generally accept? I am just trying to see if I'd be considered eligible or competitive based on my performance. (: Thanks!

I am not sure about details, but 60th percentile or higher i would say, plus writing 4.5 and up.

@shnooks952, I just bought a book (Kaplan) and studied out of that. I knew my weakest area was the quantitative portion so I mostly just went through those sections reviewing the strategies and doing the problems before comparing answers. I didn't do much for the verbal section but I'm sure flash cards and practice tests would have benefited me greatly!

Hey muchi! Thanks so much for the offer, would you be able to post your stats or that of your now fellow classmates? I think many of us are curious exactly what MWU is looking for. Do they want more HCE hours or are the big on GRE? Is GPA most important? Anything around that area that you can answer would be wonderful! Thanks so much :)

Hey guys. I am a PA-1 at MWU right now and I remember how useful this forum was for me. I'll be happy to answer any questions I can. I remember how stressful the process can be so good luck to all of you!
Hey! I would love to know more about the program. What you like most and least? As well as class & lab setting? How do you feel about having such a large class size? And is there housing close to the building and how expensive is it?Thanks so much!

So for me, I came straight from undergrad. Many of my classmates took at least a year off to get in some HCE. I would say the MWU faculty is looking for well-rounded candidates. I didnt have formal, paid HCE but the volunteering/shadowing I did (around 1700 hours) gave me a lot of freedom in terms of patient contact/learning to take vitals/basics of taking a history, etc.. I had a 3.6 science and 3.7 overall by the time i finished undergrad. In addition to overall grades, MWU also looks at trends/patterns in your grades too. I had various different jobs in undergrad as well so I guess I was "well-rounded". The large majority of my classmates were CNAs and EMTs before coming to PA school. My GRE scores were 160 verbal, 159 math. and 5.5 analytic. I would say that the interview is a VERY large part of the decision. It's a group interview but it's actually not as intimidating as you would think. Theyre seeing if you "play well" with others and they honestly are trying to get to know who you are as a person.

@edibe001 I absolutely LOVE the program. My classmates, the PA faculty, and all the professors are so amazing. They genuinely care about you and will help you in every way to understand the material. Through one quarter, I honestly haven't found anything I've disliked. The pace is going to unlike anything you've ever been through before but you'll get used to that =) So the first quarter, all 86 of us are together for all of our classes and I never felt like class was less personal or that it inhibited my learning. In terms of housing, MWU is not a very large campus. There is housing on campus and everything is relatively near. However, depending on which dorms you get, the cost can get pretty expensive. A lot of my classmates live together in apartments around Downers Grove and that way, save some money on housing as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, 
Just to answer some of the questions above, I submitted my CASPA to midwestern 07/03, received an application to invite the third week of August, and interviewed on the earliest possible date. Admissions are rolling, and they allow you to choose your interview date, so long as there are spots available. I am from out of state, but I was very impressed with the campus, the faculty, and the students. They were as friendly and welcoming as possible. 

Wow congrats Knic!!!! Please post about the interview experience if you're willing as well as any advice too!That has to be the most amazing feeling!

I submitted mid July, and have not heard a thing since... but sometimes no news isn't bad... I'm hoping. I take the GRE again tomorrow morning! Hoping to bump up my score, and I'm beginning a job this month as a telemetry tech, patient contact hours!!! Hopefully updating MWU, if all goes well scores me an interview (fingers crossed!)

Anyone else get an interview or hear back yet?

Congrats all on acceptances so far!

I need gre advice
My first time I got q: 146 v: 154 a: 4.5
Today I got q: 149 v:152. A: still being graded

Gre is obviously not my high point. If you were me, would you submit this new score? It increases my overall by 1 pt, math 3 pts but verbal went down 2pts! Should I wait to see what my analytical writing is? Maybe submit only if it's the same or increased? I'm not sure if this will help or hurt my overall app. Any advice would be great, thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just received an interview invite! I am super surprised because I applied all the way back in early June! lol......does anyone have any advice? I have already accepted a spot at Rosalind Franklin's program, but I am thinking of still going to the Midwestern interview to see if I like the program/school and because its closer to where I live than RF...I have never visited Midwestern before....

Archived