2013-2014 application cycle

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the email about the St. Croix campus too. I have a friend from high school who lived there for 2 years as a pilot and absolutely loved it--said he basically bawled his eyes out when he moved back to the States. However, he had a lot of negatives to tell me at the same time and said living there is not for everyone. The major apprehension I have is that the cost of living is higher there with the biggest cost being electricity--he said it could be as much as 800/mo if you run your A.C. all day every day, but generally it's around 300/mo. My 2nd concern is transportation--you would most likely have to buy a car when you get there or spend $1300+ shipping your car over and $700-800 shipping it back (not worth it to me). Since I will most likely have to take the cost of tuition and living expenses out as student loans, I'm not sure if I want to place all of this extra financial burden on myself even though it would be a great opportunity/experience and could probably learn a ton in this type of environment that you wouldn't necessarily get to experience in the States. I basically responded to Ms. Spence that I am interested in learning more about the opportunity but that I have concerns with the extra costs of this campus and transportation. I would love to talk to a current St. Croix student about it if there are any that read this?!

I had my interview on October 25 at the Miami Campus and according to the school and the PA students I talked to, they use plastinated specimen and computer models. I asked one of the PA students if it made a difference between whether they used cadavers versus models and he said it didn't really make a difference to him. 

In regards to St. Croix, I e-mailed Ms. Spence after receiving the e-mail and basically stated that I really wanted to go to the Miami Shores campus, but that I would consider St. Croix if I were waitlisted/rejected from Miami. 

Also waiting on pins and needles about the decision. It's awesome that the October 11 class heard so quickly! They told us at our interview that they were going to have a class of 44. They said from the first group, 30 people interviewed and they extended invitations out to 20. They didn't say out of the 20, how many accepted. I hope that helps! I am super anxious. But, they did mention that they do accept quite a bit of people from the waitlist, and that if you were waitlisted from one campus they would try to put you on the list for the other campus. 

Yeah I said something similar that I would be interested in exploring St. Croix as an option, but that cost of living and other expenses were a concern for me. I think it would be an amazing experience but I just want to be sure I can afford it. Also I want to be sure I would not have to re-interview in St. Croix, since I am from Michigan it is difficult to find the time and finances to make it down there. 

I just got an interview invite for either November 8, November 22, or January 17. I should be hearing from my top choice on November 8, so it's a toss-up between November 22 or January 17. I am apprehensive about November 22, just because of flight and hotel prices right now and would rather do January 17, but then I am nervous about all the spaces filling up by January 17.

Does anyone know how many seats are available and have been filled? Is anyone else interviewing in January?

I recently submitted my application through CASPA and was wondering if anyone knew how many seats were still available at the Miami campus? I am hoping for an interview so was also wondering how many more interview sessions are they having? I applied to the Miami campus, since they accept the greatest number of applicants... but would honestly attend the program at any of the locations offered. Is there someone I should email or submit that information to, letting them know I would be interested in attending the program from any one of the locations? 

I am off to Florida on Thursday evening, for my interview Friday morning.

Does anyone that already interviewed remember how long they were on campus for?

Also, what kinds of questions did they ask in the interviews and what should we expect?

i am beyond excited and hope to see some of you soon!

Archived