2013 interview cycle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got a call from Cynthia today while I was on a flight :) I am scheduled to interview Sept 27th and 28th I believe :) i wrote it down in my PA interview book haha. So stoked. I'm in the Phoenix airport on my way home from my first interview.

Congrats!

i applied to MSU too, but does not seem that am a candidate for interviews. I thought I met requirement for admission. Have science GPA of 3.96 and total cGpa of 3.91. My Gre verbal 152 and quantitative 148. Worked as CNA for the last 2 years both nursing home and home care with d/t patients. Now am working at a hospital as a nurse tech on the orthepedic floor. Shadowed 2 pas. Only applied to msu,so no hope to start in Jan

This is from my interview invitation letter--you should be receiving one. [h=2]“THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 27th, 2012[/h]3:00 p.m. Please report to the PA Program Office (PROF 200). The purpose of this mandatory

pre-interview meeting will be to introduce the PA faculty, provide an overview of the Admissions

Process, review Program requirements, i.e. Technical Standards, and address any questions you

may have. This will be followed by a one-hour informal session with clinical year students.

This will provide you with an opportunity to interact with current students and to gain their perspective

on issues such as financial aid, the didactic phase of education, and the clinical phase of training.

During this session, the students will also gather information regarding your candidacy for admission

into the Program. Attire is business casual for this meeting.

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28th, 2012

Each applicant will have several interviews. Professional attire is required (business casual.)

Interview times for this date will be announced during the pre-interview session on

Thursday, September 27th. Please plan to be present for at least three to four hours for the

interview process. ”

the actual interviews were broken up. No group interviews. We had a one on one with Dr. Dodge, the program director, a one on one with Dr. Vaught and a two on one with 2 of the other faculty. At least in my experience they were very low key, non-intimidating. Some of the other interviewees, including some others that were ultimately accepted, came out of the interviews very nervous and freaked out but i'm chalking that up to their personal nerves or lack of confidence. Personally, i felt very confident going into interviews. I knew i was an excellent candidate and am fairly comfortable talking to new people. As far as interview questions went (and apparently they varied student to student): with both Dr. dodge and Dr. Vaught we basically chatted about my past military experience and goals for my future. In the last interview it was 90% social media and ethics related ?s ex. What would you do if your preceptor showed up to work drunk? Or what would you do if a classmate was posting pictures from surgery on facebook? Etc. I didn't find it difficult to answer these quickly and honestly. My advice with interviews is to show up on time, dress professionally, and stay relaxed. The faculty here are very easy to talk to, not intimidating at all. Certainly not the type that make you want to cry or anything, haha. And be confident! They obviously saw something in you on paper, now's the time to prove how awesome you are and show them you're not a crazy haha. I only applied to MSU so I don't have anything to compare it to. The only thing that made me nervous through the whole process was when the current students came to talk to us. They were like “oh, you're interviews are going to be so hard. They're going to drill you on Obamacare and current events.” this freaked me out a bit. I don't know if they went through interviews like that or if it was some strange initiation ploy or what.... but it did not turn out to be true, in my case at least. So i hope this helps some. Let me know if you have any more questions. And who knows, i may see some of you at the pre-interview day! -Desireé

Sorry to hear you didn't get a call. I would call or visit them to see if they help you understand what would have made your application stronger. They look at a lot of things. References, extracurriculars, essay, on top of all of the academic and experience stuff. I would think someone would be willing to talk to you about it. Good luck, don't give up. I have people in my class now that applied more than once before they even got an interview.

• 2 weeks later...

I went down to the university and talked to the director.  My mistake was taking A/P at a community college instead of a university.  Basically make sure you take a 300 level A/P instead of a 200 level A/P.  Although, taking specific classes such as endocrinology or neurocellular biology, the A/P I took prepared me for it.  Got my rejection letter about a week ago.  

I went down to the university and talked to the director.  My mistake was taking A/P at a community college instead of a university.  Basically make sure you take a 300 level A/P instead of a 200 level A/P.  Although, taking specific classes such as endocrinology or neurocellular biology, the A/P I took prepared me for it.  Got my rejection letter about a week ago.  

Interesting. I was told by an adviser at MSU that CC anatomy would be just fine. That was 2 years ago so things must have changed. People in here talking 3.96 science GPAs and not getting a call back pssssssh, NP here I come!

Sorry, it has not worked out for you. But please never give up!! And try to apply to more than one school. In my case, when I did not get any call on Friday 23rd of August, which I thought the last day they already called students qualified for interviews, I felt bad b/c applied only to this school. But the following monday or Tuesday or , after I calmed down and forgot about it, I got a call from Cynthia for an interview, I did not believe it.

Desiree, thank you so much for your encouragement and effort ( esp your precious time) to help us succeed. We need more people like you at every PA school.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived