What would you?/Advice Needed

Hello everyone-I am looking for advice/recommendation on what to do to be able to achieve my next goal in life.I hold a B.S. in Public Health, GPA is barely in 3.0. This happened in 2008. I took a year off working on EMS, then I decided to apply to nursing school which I completed in December 2012. From December 2010 there is a clearly upward trend of only A and B grades, including the nursing program [Associates Degree]. Currently, I work as an RN in a critical care for and I have learned so much!I want to apply to PA school next year to be able to start in the summer of 2015. The question is how to better prepare myself:I will have the clinical experience due to EMS and also working in critical care as an RN. I applied to an RN-BSN program and was accepted, this program will start next month. It seems to be logical since I will be obtaining the BSN after the associates, this will also show the I will keep the upward trend in my grades since 2010. Apart from these, I could take 2-3 more classes as electives in the Biology Department.If I opted to get a second bachelor's degree in a science, it would take longer and financial aid wont approve me since I would have more units to complete.Do you guys feel that doing this is a good idea? I will be applying to PA programs with the BS in Public Health, BSN and great hands on experience. Apart from that I will have involved in research, volunteering and other ECs. I live and want to work in a medically underserved area here in California; not sure if that would make a difference.In all honesty/sincerity, what would you do/advice?P.S. One of the programs I am looking at is the UC Davis, which offers the dual FNP/PA program, so I understand for that program this is a requirement. I prefer the PA model because of the general medicine background and ease of switching specialties if it came down to that in the future. Also, I feel I can identify myself more with the medical model than the nursing model.

Definitely don't do the the 2nd bachelor's degree. Consider retaking any prereqs you got a C in; if you got below a C in any, def retake. Consider taking other upper level bios and getting A. BSN in RN is not necessary IMHO and could infer further debt. While NP = nursing model and PA = med model, both practice medicine at the end of the day, and NP's have better licensing than us, currently, so I don't see any problem with the dual program if you do your research. Good luck and you can do it, do not give up.

Archived