Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I wasn't able to find a thread about this so here it goes.

 

I just applied for the 2014 cycle and some of the school I have applied to have rolling admissions. So some will make their decisions now and others later this year.

 

If I were to get an offer for acceptance nowadays, would it be okay to accept it until I hear back from other schools? I know you have to make a decision within two weeks and I'm okay putting down a deposit. It's just that I know a lot of the school I applied to won't even make interview decisions until later this year and I would like to give myself options.

 

Is it okay to accept and then later decline? And is it okay to accept to multiple schools to give yourself some decision making time?

 

Thanks,

 

Sarah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's not a problem. Schools are aware that very talented applicants will get multiple acceptances.

 

if you do choose to withdraw from an offer of acceptance, please let the school know as soon as possible. Doing so is a courtesy to both the school and the people on the wait list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It's ok. It's going to cost you some money though as each school will have you put a deposit down.

 

How much do these deposits typically cost? I need to make sure I can budget myself.

And at the risk of sounding stupid...What are "rolling admissions"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

500-1200$ from what I've seen.

Rolling admissions means they review application as they come in. Basically you have a better chance of getting a interview the earlier you apply, first come first serve so to speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it's definitely okay! You should take your first acceptance to guarantee that you'll be going to PA school because you don't know what the future will hold, right? Then, as you get more acceptances you can compare it to the first school you put a deposit on and decide if you want to put another deposit down and decline the first offer (that's what I did). It's a lot of money to waste on one deposit, but I considered it "insurance" and it was cheaper than re-applying and interviewing the following year in the event I declined my only offer and then wasn't accepted anywhere else. Once you do decide on the schools you're not attending let them know so that they may offer your spot to someone on the waitlist. I wouldn't plan on accepting all of your offers and then deciding at the end. I would accept the first offer then compare other offers to that first school as they come in to save yourself money and anxiety. It was hard enough for me to compare two schools over and over as offers came in. I can't imagine doing 4-5 at once!

 

Also, most schools give you 2-3 weeks to decide. When I applied I had 5 interviews in November and all of the schools let me know right away. So, I was able to have a couple of offers at once without missing the deadline for either school. Depending on how close your interviews are to each other you can wait a week or so to see if another offer comes in before deciding. (You don't need to send the check back the same day you get the offer -- they do give you some time!.

 

saldanamoreno: deposits usually cost $500-1000 and are non-refundable. Some schools allow refundable deposit up to a certain point (approx 1 month after sending it in). "Rolling admissions" means that students are accepted as interviews are conducted rather than interviewing everyone and deciding who gets in once all the interviews are over. With every interview session schools will accept candidates, waitlist candidates, and decline candidates until the class is full.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best 600 bucks I ever spent was on the deposit for the first school that accepted me. I knew I was going somewhere. I eventually went somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By PAgirl199
      Hey everyone! 
       
      I was recently accepted into a program for fall of 2020. BIOCHEM was not a prerequisite, but I have been currently retaking the class in case I had to re apply. My acceptance is conditional based on having an up to date physical and that is It (I already submitted the physical). My question is, is It worth finishing up this class strong? Or should I stop putting effort into the class and relax until my program starts? I’m not sure what to do & don’t want to waste time studying if I do not have to! Thanks !!
    • By Anakm2
      Hi all, can someone please tell me my chances of being invited to an interview or give me suggestions as to what I should do to improve my application? I would really appreciate any input. I’m applying next cycle (2021-2022) thank you in advance!
      Btw I calculated it the way caspa would using ThePAPlatform gpa calculator. 
       
      cGPA: 3:77
      sGPA: 3.3
      ~1400 hrs as a CNA
      ~200 hrs as a behavior therapist (it was cut short due to COVID and I have to move back home hours away)
      I just got offered a job at the front desk at the chiropractic office I’m getting treated at (I recently got in a car accident and couldn’t get my old job back as a CNA) but this would count as HCE! I could potentially do this from May until late Sept and work ~24hrs/week.
      -Medical mission trip over winter break
      -Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society
      - Multiple deans list
      - Chancellor’s award (scholarship) 
      -Tutored children for a semester (~50 hours)
      - Vice President of my pre-pa club, and was an intern for this club before getting accepted to this position. 

      - I also plan to rack up more hours once I move back to my university 
      Any feedback is appreciated, thank you!
    • By philosophymedic
      Hi all,
      Summary:
      Has anyone had success reapplying to schools after a mediocre interview? Does the interview rejection hurt my reapplication more than if they'd never interviewed me?
      Details:
      I was granted an interview at a couple programs this cycle and got waitlisted at one, rejected from the other. I love the program I was rejected from and - pending a miracle on that waitlist - I was thinking of reapplying next cycle.
      I wouldn't say I botched the interview; it just wasn't great overall, and I definitely would take a mulligan on one of the questions. But with my lower academic measurables I think I needed to do exceptionally well to get over the top. 
      I'm taking more classes, shadowing more, writing a new personal essay, etc. And working on my interview skills. I do plan on asking the program for specific feedback but haven't done so yet (I just have their generic, "congrats on getting an interview, but try again" rejection email for the moment).
      I'd be extremely grateful to any admissions professionals or faculty willing to weigh in (if any see this).
      Thanks in advance!
       
    • By mothmantwo
      Sorry if this has already been answered here. 
       
      I practice in Texas for a private group. The practice owner hired me as an APP and registered with Texas medical board as my supervising physician. Over time he hired additional physicians to the group. They act as my supervising physician from time to time but I do not believe they are registered with Texas medical board as my supervising physicians. Do the newly hired physicians need to register as my supervisors? Would anyone know the rules regarding this or be able to refer me to them. Thanks. 
    • By rnicole
      Hi all!
      I just received an email that I was being extended an interview that was about 3 weeks out from the current date.
      I responded around 4 hours after I received the email to accept the interview, but I received an email a couple hours later that they were going to have to reschedule and that “they would email me when another date opens up”. 
      Has this happened to anyone else??
      Should I be worried? Or do they send out more interview invites than spots that they have open for the day because they know that some people may decline? 
      Thanks!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More