Caspa 2013-2014: Gwu

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, im on the same boat! I received the email on july 17 and still haven't heard anything! Im applying to the 2 yr PA program. Congrats corpsmanup on the interview! Does anyone know if interview invitations have been sent for the 2 yr applicants yet? Definitely feeling nervous

Hi all, im on the same boat! I received the email on july 17 and still haven't heard anything! Im applying to the 2 yr PA program. Congrats corpsmanup on the interview! Does anyone know if interview invitations have been sent for the 2 yr applicants yet? Definitely feeling nervous

Yes, interview invites have been sent for the 2 year applicants. I interviewed on October 12th and the majority of applicants (probably 50/60) were 2 year PA applicants. 

I'll see you guys on November 16th!!! Got my interview invitation on October 21st - soo excited!!! If anyone wants to meet up and get coffee or anything PM me!! Can't wait to meet everyone! Good luck to those who have been accepted, and for those who are still waiting to hear I'll keep my fingers crossed!! :)

As a student, at first I was thrilled to be in the program and things were going well. Now I wish I would have taken a different route. They make you pay for every little thing and they don't tell you about student scholarships that they like to keep under the radar and give to people arbitrarily. They have yet to explain to me a definitive criteria for getting the scholarship and I have demonstrated financial need and stated my case only to get deferred to the Financial Aid department and we know where that goes (nowhere!). There is no transparency and although most of the students I get along with, there are some nasty, snotty personalities. Don't waste your money or your time. Go to a school that is affordable and easily accessible and that won't make your life as a PA student any harder or expensive than it already is. Their curriculum is currently changing and our class is basically the guinea pig for trying out all of these new things. It's more frustrating for us as a class and fun and exciting for them as faculty. Be informed and don't be deceived by the rankings. PA school is what you make of it no matter what school you attend. Hope this helps

As a student, at first I was thrilled to be in the program and things were going well. Now I wish I would have taken a different route. They make you pay for every little thing and they don't tell you about student scholarships that they like to keep under the radar and give to people arbitrarily. They have yet to explain to me a definitive criteria for getting the scholarship and I have demonstrated financial need and stated my case only to get deferred to the Financial Aid department and we know where that goes (nowhere!). There is no transparency and although most of the students I get along with, there are some nasty, snotty personalities. Don't waste your money or your time. Go to a school that is affordable and easily accessible and that won't make your life as a PA student any harder or expensive than it already is. Their curriculum is currently changing and our class is basically the guinea pig for trying out all of these new things. It's more frustrating for us as a class and fun and exciting for them as faculty. Be informed and don't be deceived by the rankings. PA school is what you make of it no matter what school you attend. Hope this helps

Talked to other class members who feel the complete opposite, this student must be failing, or a recluse.  It doesn't matter how amazing an organization, or a human is, or how true a principle is, there will always be detesters and antagonists.  To think of how many people would dream for this spot.

I wanted to respond to a post written by one of my GW PA 2015 classmates to give all of the new applicants another perspective. I'm saddened to hear that one of my classmates is having such a negative experience especially when mine has been so positive. I appreciate and respect all my fellow classmates and I am constantly impressed with the multitude of skills and experiences each person brings to the table. Of course I am not best friends with every single classmate, but I can say, I get along quite well with the majority of my class. The PA faculty as a whole are amazing. They have been producing some of the best PAs for years as one of the top ranked programs. Everyone has different learning styles some professors are a better fit for some than others. But all in all, the PA faculty are so knowledgeable, the best at what they do and constantly pushing me to limits I didn't know I could reach.

As far as the scholarship concerns: most of us applied for student loans from the federal government and most people received 100% tuition/cost of living coverage from those loans. If you were one of the unfortunate few who DID NOT receive full coverage from the federal loans (in other words, the government didn't give you enough to survive through the program) you become eligible for certain need based AND academic merit scholarships. The program has no say in who is determined to be "need-based". They only determine of those that are need based, who has the highest GPA possible receives a scholarship.

I can admit that this program is HARD! We have 9 classes in the fall semester and average about 2 exams a week. The fall semester is extraordinarily difficult and yes, sometimes things don't run exactly as desired. We are the second class that is trying out a new curriculum and working out the kinks can sometimes be frustrating and involve extra work. But every PA program is constantly evolving and growing. GW is no different. These types of changes are exactly how they are able to stay one of the topped ranked programs year after year. I have no doubt that all the adjustments and even the added challenges are going to make me a great PA. 

I encourage EVERYONE that has been offered an interview at GW to come, visit, explore and learn what this program has to offer you. Interviews are not just about the program picking you, but you are also determining if it is the right FIT for you. Not everyone is meant for every program and fortunately there are some amazing programs out there with many different approaches to fit each of our needs. 

I feel grateful everyday that this program has given me the opportunity to learn how to be a top PA in this amazing profession. I hope each of you will determine what is the right program for you and that you will have overall positive experiences in your education. Just keep in mind, sometimes it is really hard. Sometimes you kind of even want to quit. Sometimes, even if for just a brief moment, you might even wonder what it might be like if you had chosen another program. But at the end of it all, hopefully, you are as thrilled as I am to say I'm a GW PA student.

I wanted to respond to a post written by one of my GW PA 2015 classmates to give all of the new applicants another perspective. I'm saddened to hear that one of my classmates is having such a negative experience especially when mine has been so positive. I appreciate and respect all my fellow classmates and I am constantly impressed with the multitude of skills and experiences each person brings to the table. Of course I am not best friends with every single classmate, but I can say, I get along quite well with the majority of my class. The PA faculty as a whole are amazing. They have been producing some of the best PAs for years as one of the top ranked programs. Everyone has different learning styles some professors are a better fit for some than others. But all in all, the PA faculty are so knowledgeable, the best at what they do and constantly pushing me to limits I didn't know I could reach.

As far as the scholarship concerns: most of us applied for student loans from the federal government and most people received 100% tuition/cost of living coverage from those loans. If you were one of the unfortunate few who DID NOT receive full coverage from the federal loans (in other words, the government didn't give you enough to survive through the program) you become eligible for certain need based AND academic merit scholarships. The program has no say in who is determined to be "need-based". They only determine of those that are need based, who has the highest GPA possible receives a scholarship.

I can admit that this program is HARD! We have 9 classes in the fall semester and average about 2 exams a week. The fall semester is extraordinarily difficult and yes, sometimes things don't run exactly as desired. We are the second class that is trying out a new curriculum and working out the kinks can sometimes be frustrating and involve extra work. But every PA program is constantly evolving and growing. GW is no different. These types of changes are exactly how they are able to stay one of the topped ranked programs year after year. I have no doubt that all the adjustments and even the added challenges are going to make me a great PA. 

I encourage EVERYONE that has been offered an interview at GW to come, visit, explore and learn what this program has to offer you. Interviews are not just about the program picking you, but you are also determining if it is the right FIT for you. Not everyone is meant for every program and fortunately there are some amazing programs out there with many different approaches to fit each of our needs. 

I feel grateful everyday that this program has given me the opportunity to learn how to be a top PA in this amazing profession. I hope each of you will determine what is the right program for you and that you will have overall positive experiences in your education. Just keep in mind, sometimes it is really hard. Sometimes you kind of even want to quit. Sometimes, even if for just a brief moment, you might even wonder what it might be like if you had chosen another program. But at the end of it all, hopefully, you are as thrilled as I am to say I'm a GW PA student.

This sums it up perfectly and then some! I am a current GWU PA c/o 2015 student and I feel so fortunate to be in this program. I never feel unsupported and I feel that the staff is very open to criticism. I feel like I can go to almost every professor and they would lend an ear for any of my problems. Sure, not everyone in the program will be 100% like you, but neither will your patients. Remember to be open and kind to all different kinds of people even if you find them "nasty" and "snotty."

This sums it up perfectly and then some! I am a current GWU PA c/o 2015 student and I feel so fortunate to be in this program. I never feel unsupported and I feel that the staff is very open to criticism. I feel like I can go to almost every professor and they would lend an ear for any of my problems. Sure, not everyone in the program will be 100% like you, but neither will your patients. Remember to be open and kind to all different kinds of people even if you find them "nasty" and "snotty."

I want to echo both of my classmates... I am really happy here and think this is an excellent program. If you are considering this program, please come to interview with us. I guarantee that you will meet many, many students, all of whom will be really honest with you about their experience here, both positive and negative. GW's interview day is entirely student-run. Nobody is coached, and nobody is afraid of telling you their opinions on the caliber and quality of the program. So please don't turn down an interview because of one student's comment on one public forum.

As for my views: it is certainly not the cheapest program out there, nor the easiest, but I have found all of the faculty and administrators very responsive to student needs and criticism. Even though I work very hard, have given up many weekends to studying, and even though I love to complain about the classes, the amount I have learned in the past six months is incredible. Like mind-boggling. I know that I will be well prepared for both the clinical year and what lies beyond.

So, no, GW isn't perfect, but it is well worth a look. Come interview, talk to all the students you can, and get a good idea of whether it will be a good fit for you.

Archived