Caspa 2013-2014

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I interviewed on 10/24 as well. I received my email of acceptance that Saturday night! When I interviewed, it was a very enjoyable experience. Professor Jackson was the one who gave an overview of the program (history, stats, clinical sites, etc.) and is very knowledgeable and put everyone at ease. I can honestly say I came into the interview with no expectations and tried my best. In the end, it seems this is the way it works for me because you are completely relaxed and can speak genuinely to your interviewers. That is all they want, to see if you are the right fit for their particular program. Don't force anything! Good luck to everyone that is interviewing :)

I'm still waiting on mine as well, but I believe the 10 days implied business days, so I was notified on the 26th which means mine should show up tomorrow. 

Olga, just relax and try and speak up with your peers when you're waiting during interviews. Talking with everyone while we were waiting for our one on ones really relaxed me and I think it made a difference in my interview. I also suggest writing any questions down that you have about the program because this is your time for you to make sure this is the school you want to go to as well. You want to make sure you walk away with the information you want to know about the program that you can't find out online. 

http://www.amazon.com/How-Physician-Assistant-School-Interview/dp/0615480721

This book. Read it. Some of it's common sense, but it also helps suggest the kinds of topics you might run into and help you start thinking about answers to general questions that interviewers ask. Also know why you picked PA and why they should pick you. I'm not suggesting that these are specific questions that I was asked, but I think if you can answer those two questions confidently and in detail then there's not much they can throw at you that you wont have some base of information to pull from. Helps with the confidence level. 

To those accepted:

I just spoke to Suzanna and she said the admissions process has changed from last year and we were the first to get accepted. The packets have not been sent out yet and to call back if we do not receive them in another 10 days. I know this is not what we want to hear, but we're in, so that's all that matters! :)

Ah wow. Ok that makes sense. I'm actually glad cause I'm between NYIT and one other school and I still haven't heard back from them so it gives them a little more time. I really like both schools, however with the other school I could live with my parents which would save oddles of money.

And yes, I was accepted into next fall's class. I have to say I liked NYIT but after the interview I knew all but one other school was out from my decision making process simply because I was so impressed.

what is that other school you are between?

Ah wow. Ok that makes sense. I'm actually glad cause I'm between NYIT and one other school and I still haven't heard back from them so it gives them a little more time. I really like both schools, however with the other school I could live with my parents which would save oddles of money.

And yes, I was accepted into next fall's class. I have to say I liked NYIT but after the interview I knew all but one other school was out from my decision making process simply because I was so impressed.

what is the other school you are between?

Seton Hall. Both are NYC metro area schools but Seton Hall is super close to my parents. Both are three year schools too which I really like and both have cadaver labs, however I believe NYIT has better access to the labs, I could be wrong on this. Seton Halls PANCE pass rates are off the chart so I want to ask them what they do differently. They have a smaller class which could make a difference. I'm still exploring which school I would attend, then again Seton Hall might not offer me and interview and I have an easy decision, but I wouldn't be disappointed as I don't view NYIT as a second choice just a different choice. Both schools are def my top choices.

Seton Hall. Both are NYC metro area schools but Seton Hall is super close to my parents. Both are three year schools too which I really like and both have cadaver labs, however I believe NYIT has better access to the labs, I could be wrong on this. Seton Halls PANCE pass rates are off the chart so I want to ask them what they do differently. They have a smaller class which could make a difference. I'm still exploring which school I would attend, then again Seton Hall might not offer me and interview and I have an easy decision, but I wouldn't be disappointed as I don't view NYIT as a second choice just a different choice. Both schools are def my top choices.

What do you mean SHU PANCE pass rates are off the charts... they are average, like 93% lol.  Any ARC-PA approved program has about the same rate.  -__-  I dont think I follow you on that one.  I just had an interview at NYIT its pretty nice-- director is president of the AAPA and Dr. David Jackson used to NYSSPA President, he is currently on the house of delegates.  In terms of leadership involvement this is the program to go to.  :p  ... still waiting to hear back though.   

I chose SHU over NYIT last year...So far it has been a great decision! Both programs are wonderful and have tons to offer! SHU is a bit smaller with ~30 students/class.  @Ibuchholz2127, I had the same mindset about living at home and saving money, I currently live at home and it works out well, and I recommend it because PA school is expensive....In relation to SHU and NYIT PANCE scores....I don't know for a fact what NYIT's are but SHU has an average Pass rate of 98%...the last two classes (class of 12' and 13' both had 100%).  Good Luck!

Yea from my understanding the last three years has been 98% or higher. So I'm curious to find out what it is they're doing or if they've changed something to achieve those PANCE percentages. @aanghila the staff and the low turn over so far is one of the biggest selling points about NYIT so far. I interviewed with both of them for my interview and that's a lot of the reason I'm putting my deposit together. Not to mention Professor Herman explained during my interview that many of the area cardio thoracic PAs are alumni and I'm seriously considering going into that surgical specialty. Having alumni there helps. Both seem like great schools and if I get into Seton Hall I'm going to have to make a tough decision.

Yea from my understanding the last three years has been 98% or higher. So I'm curious to find out what it is they're doing or if they've changed something to achieve those PANCE percentages. @aanghila the staff and the low turn over so far is one of the biggest selling points about NYIT so far. I interviewed with both of them for my interview and that's a lot of the reason I'm putting my deposit together. Not to mention Professor Herman explained during my interview that many of the area cardio thoracic PAs are alumni and I'm seriously considering going into that surgical specialty. Having alumni there helps. Both seem like great schools and if I get into Seton Hall I'm going to have to make a tough decision.

Go to Seton Hall...so I can go to NYIT :P

Hi everyone,

I had an interview November 4th and was accepted into NYIT.

Stats at the time of my CASPA submission are as follows:

BA in Neuroscience, 2013

Science GPA: 3.92

Overall GPA: 3.88

GRE: 165Math; 160Verbal; 4.5Writing

Certified as a Phlebotomist and EKG technician

120hrs internship as a Medical Assistant

50hrs shadowing a PA in the ER

2 years of research at a Lab of Opiate Pharmacology, published in 2 journals

Just know that if you got an interview, they already like you. They feel that your grades, credentials, etc. make you a good candidate. They want to use the interview as a means of assessing your readiness for the PA profession and for their PA program. They want to see if you are mature enough based on your life experiences, motivated enough based on what you have done so far to pursue PA studies, and if your personality and desires line up with the belief system of the program. I'm sure you've heard this countless times but seriously- just be yourself. Be confident. Be proud of what you've achieved. Try not to be nervous and over-think things. I didn't spend days rehearsing my answers for interview questions and didn't have an answer ready for every question that they could possibly ask me. Just have a concrete understanding of your past experiences and how they have shaped you, why you want to be a PA, why a PA as opposed to other health professions, why you want to go to their school, and what difficulties/problems you expect to see in your line of work and how you plan on tackling them. These aren't test questions. These are things you that you should honestly have a good understanding of by now if you have chosen to pursue the PA path. 

I hope this helps.

Best of luck to everyone.

Hi everyone,

I had an interview November 4th and was accepted into NYIT.

Stats at the time of my CASPA submission are as follows:

BA in Neuroscience, 2013

Science GPA: 3.92

Overall GPA: 3.88

GRE: 165Math; 160Verbal; 4.5Writing

Certified as a Phlebotomist and EKG technician

120hrs internship as a Medical Assistant

50hrs shadowing a PA in the ER

2 years of research at a Lab of Opiate Pharmacology, published in 2 journals

Just know that if you got an interview, they already like you. They feel that your grades, credentials, etc. make you a good candidate. They want to use the interview as a means of assessing your readiness for the PA profession and for their PA program. They want to see if you are mature enough based on your life experiences, motivated enough based on what you have done so far to pursue PA studies, and if your personality and desires line up with the belief system of the program. I'm sure you've heard this countless times but seriously- just be yourself. Be confident. Be proud of what you've achieved. Try not to be nervous and over-think things. I didn't spend days rehearsing my answers for interview questions and didn't have an answer ready for every question that they could possibly ask me. Just have a concrete understanding of your past experiences and how they have shaped you, why you want to be a PA, why a PA as opposed to other health professions, why you want to go to their school, and what difficulties/problems you expect to see in your line of work and how you plan on tackling them. These aren't test questions. These are things you that you should honestly have a good understanding of by now if you have chosen to pursue the PA path. 

I hope this helps.

Best of luck to everyone.

Hey when did you hear back!?  I had my interview on the 4th as well lol!  Congrats on the acceptance, thats awesome.  Did you like NYIT alot??

Hey aanghila,

NYIT didn't contact me, so I actually called them 1 week after to see if I got wait-listed or something. Suzana said that our group, being one of the first that was interviewed, is still in the "old system." Therefore, there has been a delay in contacting us about our decision, but she was more than willing to let me know my decision over the phone. I would recommend that you call NYIT and ask Suzana what your decision is if it is killing you to find out (it certainly was killing me).

Thank you for the congratulations =D. I did really like NYIT, and my PA, who graduated from NYIT 3 years ago, had a lot of great things to say about the staff, education, technology, etc. I'm pretty excited about attending. 

Best of luck and I hope you hear good news if you decide to call!

Archived