Graduating Private School

Hi Everyone,

My name is Mathew and my goal is to become a PA in the future. I'm presently doing an AS in Respiratory therapy from a private school (PIMA Medical Institute) in Las Vegas, NV. They also offer a BS in RT there too. I have been interested at attending Touro's PA program and am just wondering if doing a BS in RT from a private school vs community college or State University will affect my chances in getting accepted for the PA program?

Any input will be helpful.

Thank you.

Shouldn't matter....(kinda like PA) if it is an accredited school and you can take the CRT & RRT after, then you are good to go. Also, why get a BS in RT if you are already getting an AS? Doesn't make sense....you will already have the degree needed for the job. Get your BS while working in the field in whatever you choose and just make sure you take/have taken all pre-reqs needed.

Thank you BellaJoy for the reply :)

That is what I plan on doing actually.... After graduating RT school and finishing the RRT exam, I plan on working at a hospital(build up my HCE hours)...work on getting my BS (in something.....still undecided) and also work on finishing some of the advanced science Pre-Reqs classes that i don't have yet (chem, micro and AnP). Its a long way to go, but I hope to get there someday in the near future! :)

Just by curiosity...were you in respiratory therapy and was this the path you took to get into PA school? If not,may I ask you what path you took to get to where you are right now?

Thank you so much for the guidance.

vipinfx8

Hi Everyone,

My name is Mathew and my goal is to become a PA in the future. I'm presently doing an AS in Respiratory therapy from a private school (PIMA Medical Institute) in Las Vegas, NV. They also offer a BS in RT there too.

Hello Mathew welcome to the forum. I briefly checked out your school's web page and was impressed at the institution's affiliations and accreditations. I didn't find a regional accrediting body I recognized. Not that its not there I just didn't see it. I think NV falls under Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. Maybe I'm mistaken but I would recommend this question be referred to Touro NV just to be sure. I do see a national accrediting body listed but if it were me I'd call Touro to make sure this organization is recognized...just saying and giving input.

RT is great HCE for PA school. Good luck in your future PA endeavors.

LesH

Thank you LESH :)

I would have never come up with that myself!

I've had this "private school" issue ever since one of my classmates told me that some major Uni's might not accept/recognize the programs taken at private schools.

Now I'm not sure how true that statement is?

I just wanna gather all the information needed for me to know what path I should take to get into PA school and how to go about it.

I'll call Touro,NV and ask them some of my questions directly to make sure too.

Thank you LESH :)
I would have never come up with that myself!

I know the layers of accreditation and who accepts what can be a bit much when you're trying to get prereqs together for PA school.

I've had this "private school" issue ever since one of my classmates told me that some major Uni's might not accept/recognize the programs taken at private schools. Now I'm not sure how true that statement is?

The statement is true. Its not that PA program's won't recognize your HCE as an RT. They may not be able to accept the credits or degree due to program or institution policies dictated by regional accreditation standards. That's why you must talk directly to the program about this situation.

I just wanna gather all the information needed for me to know what path I should take to get into PA school and how to go about it.

Well you seem to be on a good path by getting your RT. Getting a few years of HCE under your belt before applying would strengthen your chances of getting in IMHO. FYI don't be surprised if some of us "older PAs" (lol) use terms like Vocational, "for profit" or Proprietory instead of "private" school. Sometimes things get confusing...

I'll call Touro,NV and ask them some of my questions directly to make sure too

Good deal. Best of luck to you.

LesH

Thank you BellaJoy for the reply :)

That is what I plan on doing actually.... After graduating RT school and finishing the RRT exam, I plan on working at a hospital(build up my HCE hours)...work on getting my BS (in something.....still undecided) and also work on finishing some of the advanced science Pre-Reqs classes that i don't have yet (chem, micro and AnP). Its a long way to go, but I hope to get there someday in the near future! :)

Just by curiosity...were you in respiratory therapy and was this the path you took to get into PA school? If not,may I ask you what path you took to get to where you are right now?

Thank you so much for the guidance.

vipinfx8

You're welcome. LESH is definitely a better one to help with the whole accreditation thing...I am not sure on that one. And, sorry about the BS confusion I had.

RT really will be a great way for you to get excellent HCE...and truthfully it is something I wish I had done sooner. (So yes, I am a resp therapist.) I just kinda fell into it...was traditional pre-med...life happened and I got seriously ill and plans changed/got side-tracked...and the opportunity for RT opened up a year after I graduated from my first BS. I took it, got a 2nd BS in RT in 2 years, and now here I am 3+ years later working as an RRT in a large hospital system. In that time, I decided the med school route was no longer for me (for a variety of reasons) yet I definitely need more. The thought of PA came up, I researched, and realized it was perfect. I applied earlier this year, did pretty well in the app process, and will be starting PA school in June.

Good luck to you! My main advice now is to just get awesome grades, do well on the GRE, and get a hospital RT job where you will see and do a lot and where you will be able to utilize therapist-driven protocols (it will make you think more and be more autonomous).

Archived