Under-qualified but got an interview

First time, long time...

(If this post is not in the appropriate forum, please redirect - thank you)

I recently applied for a CT Surgery position at a prestigious hospital as a new grad and was granted an interview. I was very surprised that they were considering my application as I did not know whether they were considering new graduates. I have previous experience as a Cell-Saver tech in the OR prior to PA school and I have had a General Surgery rotation and a Cardiology rotation, but no CT surgery experience. I was under the impression that they were interviewing the masses for this position and that I was one of the lesser qualified and sought-after applicants.

However, today I was shocked to be contacted by the Lead CT Surgical PA (as opposed to an HR rep) to confirm my interview and informed that I would be reimbursed for up to $500 for my travel expenses and lodging to the city based on my proximity to the institution (which is an hour and a half away). I was also informed that the interview schedule would start at 8am and last until 5pm on that day. Suddenly, I feel that the accommodations and lengthy interview process could indicate that I am more than just a long-shot candidate for this opportunity.

QUESTIONS:

-Am I over-valuing these accommodations and lengthy interview process in considering this a positive indicator of my perceived potential?

-What can I expect from a 9 hour interview process? (individual interviews, group interviews, case scenarios, imaging/EKG interpretation, patient interactions)

Any advice, comments, or encouragement would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

For higher level, professional type positions (graduate level and above), these types of interviews are standard. They typically pay for whatever transportation and hotel you need, and then do a full day interview. Interview usually includes meeting with different people separately and together, as well as lunch (which is still part of the interview, btw - they are watching to see how you socialize with colleagues. Make a good impression here!). They typically also give a tour of the facility and show you exactly what you would be doing.

It definitely means you are not a long shot, but in most cases they interview 3-5 people in this same manner, so you are likely not definite either.

Do a good job, smile, ask questions, and most importantly make a good first impression.

I wish you luck!

Archived