Anyone Applied this cycle

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who is still deciding on programs. Why is Western some peoples' first choice? Besides location.

I only applied to Western because I really like their program. I like how they try to integrate the school into the community by encouraging volunteering and through the patient care center where students can vounteer there. They also have a wide variety of choices as to where you can do your rotations and I like how there are many choices around where I live in LA. I also have a couple of friends who are finishing the program soon and they all agreed that they like the program a lot

Just got my interview invite today for March 6th! Anyone else interviewing on that date?

That's the last II date as well :P Good luck 

As someone who is still deciding on programs. Why is Western some peoples' first choice? Besides location.

Only school that gave me an interview/chance. 

I like the interprofessional curriculum, location, humanistic approach considering I have an objectivist moral code, people are nice in Cali, tuition's not bad, good rotation sites such as Arrowhead and other major ones in Cali etc. I can go on. 

For me, location is a big deal since I have family of my own here and it's not easy to leave them behind to attend school elsewhere. Also, after graduating from the program I plan on staying local to practice and stay connected with the community. I really liked the faculty too...they were very friendly and approachable.

Do not mean to pry...

However Aiviphung, I thought you already payed the deposit and chose to attend Pacific University for the May start date?

You had the Pacific University tag on all of your earlier posts.

Again, I like to keep my options open and I am very grateful to have been given a lot of options this application cycle. Nothing is set in stone.

Again, I like to keep my options open and I am very grateful to have been given a lot of options this application cycle. Nothing is set in stone.

From speaking to the Western applicants at the interview and from school, most people like Western because it's a shorter program that cost less than the schools in the surronding areas. It also requires less prerequisites, which creates a larger applicant pool, and hypes up the university. I think Western is a great program, with the underserved component and the interprofessional learning, but all in all- all programs are great programs. I know you are struggling with decisions from multiple programs, I think you're thinking too much into it. All programs are really great programs, and offer large amounts of opportunities. In the end, it depends on you.What school did you feel like you fit best in at the interview? What location do you see yourself living in? I understand it just snowed in Hillsboro over the weekend, and that really does make a difference. Coming from southern California, I honestly wouldnt know how to survive in the snow..So it depends on yourself. 

And how great of a PA you are depends less of the program, since you are accepted to really strong programs already, but more on the motivation of the applicant of the PA. I dont know you, but i've seen your responses in multiple threads, and i know that you have the motivation. 

So now you have the fun part. It's a simple question of, what is most important to you- location, mission statement, didatic curriculum, PANCE? And then choosing from there. 

I personally would choose Pacific, but you already know why ;)

If I had gotten accepted to a school within 100 miles of my home, I would have gladly gone there even though it isn't as highly "ranked" or whatnot. As long as the programs have longstanding, 7-year accreditation (both Pacific and WesternU do), they are very similar in what they cover. The best bet is to plan for your future. Getting that first job is tough in certain areas (mine is brutal), and having rotations and contacts in my area is worth a ton. It turns out neither Pacific nor WesternU really help me on that front.

The material isn't difficult, there is just a ton. You are motivated enough to turn the didactic year at any school into a good one. You will pass the PANCE first time. Choose the rotations that will set you up for your future.

Just my $0.02.

If I had gotten accepted to a school within 100 miles of my home, I would have gladly gone there even though it isn't as highly "ranked" or whatnot. As long as the programs have longstanding, 7-year accreditation (both Pacific and WesternU do), they are very similar in what they cover. The best bet is to plan for your future. Getting that first job is tough in certain areas (mine is brutal), and having rotations and contacts in my area is worth a ton. It turns out neither Pacific nor WesternU really help me on that front.

The material isn't difficult, there is just a ton. You are motivated enough to turn the didactic year at any school into a good one. You will pass the PANCE first time. Choose the rotations that will set you up for your future.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks PAchick! You are absolutely right. I think I've made my choice! It's all about the rotations.

Hey Everyone, 

Did anyone bring anyone with them on their interview day? It says you can bring two people with you and just wondering if anyone brought anyone?

I brought my mom, but honestly I wish I hadn't.  They didn't even acknowledge that she was there when I checked in.  Guests weren't given any material, or even thanked for coming during the presentation.  It was kinda awkward.  :-?

I brought my mom, but honestly I wish I hadn't.  They didn't even acknowledge that she was there when I checked in.  Guests weren't given any material, or even thanked for coming during the presentation.  It was kinda awkward.  :-?

Thanks Erika, 

I kinda already told my mom she could come, and she is so excited, but I went to the preview day previously with my boyfriend, so i thought it would be nice for him to come along also figured they could keep each other busy while i was interviewing. I hope its not too awkward. 

Hey Everyone, 

Did anyone bring anyone with them on their interview day? It says you can bring two people with you and just wondering if anyone brought anyone?

I brought my boyfriend who lives in California with me. It helped calm my nerves a lot having someone there but only 3 other people brought someone with them. The rest came alone. Personal preference. :)

Archived