Anyone Applied this cycle

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
same same. I applied last year and they sent me that same email every month until January, when they rejected me. Hopefully this year will be different

Does anybody have any information about people NOT getting this email? I just spoke with admissions about a week ago, and they indicated that they were still reviewing my application, but I didn't get this email that everyone else got. I'm wondering if that means that I am no longer under consideration...?

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get the email either yet. The admissions counselor told me to send my updated transcript asap for admission review, so i'm assuming they're waiting on that for me before they look at my app - not sure.

I'm from Texas btw - are most of y'all Cali residents? Anyone know what the acceptance rate is for OOS applicants

I didn't get the email either yet. The admissions counselor told me to send my updated transcript asap for admission review, so i'm assuming they're waiting on that for me before they look at my app - not sure.

I'm from Texas btw - are most of y'all Cali residents? Anyone know what the acceptance rate is for OOS applicants

Did you call and ask what they needed to continue review, or did they call/email you asking you to send the transcript?

I believe many of us are CA residents, but I know they don't offer preference for in state / out of state applicants.

Good luck to you!

I got an email from the admission counselor (Jeanene White) saying:

"I am pleased to inform you that your file is complete and ready for evvaluation by the department. After your file has been evaluated, you will be contacted by phone or e-mail regarding your status".

I guess now I just have to wait!!

ANyone else get the same email?

ktcan10 I've been speaking to Michael by email, an admissions counselor I believe. He's very nice keeping me up too date as well. I will call tomorrow to make sure they received my summer transcript as well as ask if that's what they're waiting for or what.

Thank you and good luck to you as well!

Strongly disagreed with their teaching philosophy and selection process methods.

Yeah, I was hoping for more specifics. After reading this I looked over their site and couldn't find anything that stood out as a red flag.

- First time PANCE pass rate is 84

http://www.westernu.edu/allied-health-mspas-indicators

- They interview candidates purely based off of GPA. They interview everyone with a 3.4 cGPA or higher and then work their way down the list.

- The interview style is typically very abrasive (reported to me by many people who've been interviewed)

- They've mentioned in their career day that they prefer students that do not have any prior health care experience

- There is no dedicated PA area for the program on campus

- The class sizes are very large

The list can be longer and/or vary but these are some reasons why people that I know who were either accepted to this program declined their acceptance or people who applied to the program withdrew their application. Basically its the same for many people who don't mesh with a particular program. Everyone has their own reason to apply to a program or rather to withdraw an application from a program. Which is why it is important to make sure that you're not only a good match for the program, but that the program is a good match for you.

- They've mentioned in their career day that they prefer students that do not have any prior health care experience

I did not get this impression when I went to the open house, just that they will consider students on an even playing field regardless of health care experience

* They made it very clear that they are to train you to do family medicine, and family medicine alone. He made it quite clear that if you want to do specialties that you should go to another school. Again, our strength is in our flexibility and to hinder that does a disservice to the students and the profession.

* You have elective rotations, but do not have free choice of what those are. They ensure that you do not repeat specific rotations and monitor that you are still focused on family medicine and not a specialty.

As for this statement, I would really like to hear from current WesternU student. I attended the open house as well (the one in June) and again felt like I got completely different information about specialties and electives. 98% of the PA programs place emphasis on primary care, that is what PAs are trained for. WesternU allows students (3) elective rotations which is more than many other programs I've looked into.

The PA student who I spoke with at the open house said he was about to do his third elective rotation in orthopedics which is the field he wanted to work in. I don't know if this was just a special case or what but now I'm quite confused about what to think....

While Western is definitely not my first choice, I did not get this impression when I went to the open house, just that they will consider students on an even playing field regardless of health care experience which has both positive and negative implications

The faculty member who addressed everyone during preview day in the auditorium specifically stated that they prefer students without healthcare experience because they feel people develop habits that are difficult to break and would rather teach you everything that you need to know. I'm pretty sure I didn't misunderstand what he was saying.

The faculty member who addressed everyone during preview day in the auditorium specifically stated that they prefer students without healthcare experience because they feel people develop habits that are difficult to break and would rather teach you everything that you need to know. I'm pretty sure I didn't misunderstand what he was saying.

May as well throw in my two cents...I met with a faculty member who went on a 20-minute rant about how much they hated EMTs and how they were all lazy and had bad habits and were arrogant and thought they knew everything. Yes, these are direct quotes, and said in front of a room full of veteran EMTs, paramedics, and other healthcare professionals.

It's an unprofessional generalization, not to mention somewhat surprising and insulting to me (an EMT with five years of experience, and, in my personal opinion, neither lazy nor arrogant), and it left me with a bad taste in my mouth for Western.

98% huh? You have data backing that up? EVERY program that I applied to openly acknowledges that a key strength to a PA is the profession's versatility. There is a need EVERYWHERE, not just family medicine. The program director, not a subordinate, flat out said, they are there to train you to do family medicine and ONLY family medicine. That stance is something that I cannot support.

I threw that number out there because only 8 programs out of the 180ish PA schools offer specialty residencies post grad so the rest are training PAs to have a strong background in primary care. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I think you are confusing primary care with family practice. Primary care includes internal med, pediatrics, family, ob/gyn and some even consider general surg and EM in this group. These primary care specialties are the foundation which I think all medical providers regardless of specialty should have a strong understanding of and are why they are found in all clinical rotations for every PA program. No program is able to tell you you are not able to go into a specialty after you get your license that is your decision but I get where you're coming from.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I am a current 1 yr PA WesternU student, and I just want to put in my two cents. Yes, this program does not emphasize previous experience, quoting that their experience has shown that, after the didactic portion, a student without experience has a very similar knowledge base as those with it. That being said, it doesn't hurt you- I would say over half of my class has experience ranging from military medic, to EMT, to MA. However, if it is important to you that your class all come from a heavy medical background, there are many other programs that will better suit your needs. As far as rotations go, you get 3 electives and you MAY choose those particular locations as long as the school is able to properly set it up, and you are in good standing with the program. If your GPA is too low, you have to stay close (the requirement is either 3.0 or 3.5; I can't remember without going back to check). Also, you CAN repeat rotations for your 3 electives. The rotation type determines the number of repeats you may do. Lastly, the poor pass rate from last year and 2011,prompted them to drastically change their interview process. We will see if this helps, but they are aware of the problem and are working to address it. Good luck to all those applying, where ever that may be :)

Archived