Received a "C" in Anatomy...

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I bombed my Anatomy final which brought my grade down from a 92% to 79%. Now I am stuck with a "C" on my transcript for what is probably the single most important prerequisite course for a PA program. I'm pretty stressed out. My issue is that my college has a no-repeat policy on passing grades, so I can't repeat it.

Should I retake Anatomy at another community college or go straight into physio? What would you do in this situation?

(with the C, my GPA is now 3.6, and sGPA 3.5)

How much time do you have before you apply? I would definitely retake anatomy, try to take an anatomy lab, and also take physio. If you have extra time, just make sure you take upper division science classes. I'm sure you'll end up fine in the long run- so far so good with the GPA :)

IMO Anatomy is not nearly the most important prerequisite course for entering into a PA program, so don't freak yourself out over it. Sure, you want to improve on that C when you retake it and you should of course aim for an A. However, other courses like physiology (which will help you out in several classes in PA school and provide a basis for more advanced things like pathophysiology and pharmacology) are much more important IMO.

You have a good grade point and not everyone does well in anatomy. I wouldn't obsess about it; one exam is seldom a make or break experience (unless it's the PANCE!). I'd go on and get a great great in physio and move forward.

Try to avoid stampeding yourself into obsessive behavior. Yeah, you could retake the class, if there is a class near you at another college. If so and you really want to, then do it. Since both grades will be reported, I wonder if you would be better off adding something like patho instead of repeating anatomy again.

My school offers anatomy in the summer, a four-week class with all the material crammed in. Insane for someone taking it for the first time, but if you've been around the block once before I would go with something like that.

Spend a couple of weeks reviewing the material before the class, and you'll likely do even better.

Archived