patient volume

I am in fulltime outpatient psychiatry practice in a FQHC in coastal Oregon. My contract is up for renewal this October. I'm being told that I am now expected to see the same # of patients/day as the PAs in family practice; if not then contract negotiations will go badly for me. A PA in psychiatry simply cannot produce the same numbers as a PA in family practice.

Does anyone know of a statistic demonstrating how many outpatient psychiatry patients is usual and customary for a PA to see in a day?

If you are unable to assist me, please forward this to someone who might help. This information is crucial in my upcoming contract talks.

Regards,

lingeringmind

Guest JMPA
I am in fulltime outpatient psychiatry practice in a FQHC in coastal Oregon. My contract is up for renewal this October. I'm being told that I am now expected to see the same # of patients/day as the PAs in family practice; if not then contract negotiations will go badly for me. A PA in psychiatry simply cannot produce the same numbers as a PA in family practice.

Does anyone know of a statistic demonstrating how many outpatient psychiatry patients is usual and customary for a PA to see in a day?

If you are unable to assist me, please forward this to someone who might help. This information is crucial in my upcoming contract talks.

Regards,

lingeringmind

sounds like they are playing mind games

Ask a simple question: do the psychiatrists see the same number of patients that an FP does?

Doubt it.

For the same reason, if you are seeing psychiatry patients for psychiatric issues, then you should not be held to the apples and oranges comparison.

Contact other psychiatry PAs or NPs, standardize your patient mix ( new/chronic, inpatient/outpatient, )

However, if you are seeing primarily psychiatric patients which also have medical issues (URI, headaches, thyroid problems, etc, then , within the parameters of inpatient versus outpatient, it is a fair comparison.

If you are simply rounding on inpatients and checking their medical status ( existence of fever, cough, pain,nausea, vomiting or other complaints, then you should be able to knock off 40-60patients/day.. Understanding that they are all primarily not acutely not medically ill.. Stop in, quick exam, and Ross, quick daily note in the chart.. Move along.

If they are asking you to hold a sick call.. Then maybe 20-30. / day is fair.

As much as possible, try to. Get an apples to apples evaluation.

Review contrarians old notes about how he started.

Regards,

lingeringmind

First I would have them show you data that backs up their claim. Its their statement not yours. As far as data the AAPA may have this. They collect data on patient encounters and they could compare FP PAs with psych PAs. Also you might try the Association of PAs in Psychiatry. They might have specialty reports.

• 2 months later...

I'm a FM PA connected to a psych practice and my colleagues (Psych PAs and NPs are seeing 30-40/day)... The MDs are seeing 50-70 and counting...

I believe it's the other way around. I could never see as many pts as the psych side does because they don't have to do any physical exam. We handle all their medical issues.

Let food be thy medicine

Archived