Classes starting Fall 2014

Hey all! I'm a recent applicant to South College, just submitted last week! I know I'm pretty late, but I only discovered this program recently.

Anyone have a good idea of what SC is looking for in an applicant? Are they big on GRE or patient care hours or gpas? Do they look more heavily at one aspect rather than others? Or do they look for things across the board?

Any tips would be helpful. I'm also sending a letter of update today! Great to meet you all :)

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! I saw South's website that they agree to interview students who meet minimum admissions requirements and who have completed prereq courses. I'm just curious how this is possible if they receive over 1,000 applications and only hold about 7-8 interview sessions consisting of about 30 people. Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks!

Hey all! I'm a recent applicant to South College, just submitted last week! I know I'm pretty late, but I only discovered this program recently.

Anyone have a good idea of what SC is looking for in an applicant? Are they big on GRE or patient care hours or gpas? Do they look more heavily at one aspect rather than others? Or do they look for things across the board?

Any tips would be helpful. I'm also sending a letter of update today! Great to meet you all :)

It's about balance. Really and truly. If you're high in one you can be lower in the other. Maybe a slight preference GPA. Doubt they care much about GRE. Most people don't.

Hi! I saw South's website that they agree to interview students who meet minimum admissions requirements and who have completed prereq courses. I'm just curious how this is possible if they receive over 1,000 applications and only hold about 7-8 interview sessions consisting of about 30 people. Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks!

If it does say that, I'm pretty sure it's just because they haven't updated that section of the website in a long while.

It says for students who have completed prerequisite course for the program AT South College.

It took me a few times of reading that to figure out exactly what it meant

Knoxville is a beautiful city.  I am not sure exactly how diverse the student body is, but South Colleges chooses individuals based on how well they mesh with the college.  I doubt they take the individuals with the highest GPAs.  They look for other things like personality and experience as well.

Thanks Oneal, I appreciate the info!

I also submitted a letter of update today... hoping to hear something, anything! :)

Can anyone elaborate on Knoxville? I've been to Nashville multiple times and have seen TN, but I would love it someone who knew Knoxville could give some details?

Also, can anyone tell me how updated the pa program is? Submitting a secondary app that is not an electronic process worries me a little that they may not be at the highest up to date standards as other programs...

Just to answer a few questions… South is very up to date. By not having an electronic secondary app it is one way of eliminating getting submissions from a lot of people who aren't truly interested in the school but just putting another app on CASPA, at least thats my thoughts. The school does not have a cadaver lab but does bring in hearts, eyes, ect for a few wet labs. 

As far as interviews go, there are 6 more interview sessions that I am away of including the one this Friday January 31st. Typically they send interview invites out two weeks in advance and although they have not released all the dates I am guessing they last interview will be in May (that's what it was last year). The earliest they will end will be April. If you haven't heard anything by the end of May I would say it is safe to say you will have to reapply (or you can wait till they contact everyone in July). If you are wait listed, you could be accepted anytime from your interview date to the right before school starts. We had a girl taken off the wait list 4 days before school started this past year. If you are wait listed, do what they recommend and you will most likely be accepted if you have to reapply. Also, if yoga re wait listed and are working on stuff over the summer send them updates as they will review all the files and what you have done to improve if a seat opens up. 

As far as where to stay, any hotel on Parkside Dr. will be nice and in close proximity. The airport is about 20minutes away so you will definitely need to rent a car. 

If looking at apartments while here, many students live in the Lovell or Walden Legacy apartments and there are a few in Forest Ridge.

I will be there this Friday. Hope to see some of you there! 

Congrats crd615, 

Good luck to you.  I hope to join you. Do you know how many have been accepted so far? Anyone know when the next interview is?

Yesterday I received an invitation to interview on February 14th. It' is probably the next one.

They are having another Open House on Wednesday, Feb. 19th. Check their website for times. Highly recommend attending if you gave not yet.

As for what Knoxville is like . . . . I've lived in knoxville for almost 12 years. It's the longest I have ever lived anywhere. Knoxville has some diversity, economically, post-secondary education, philosophically, ethnically, etc. it has been a great place to live and raise a family. We are only 6-7 hours away from the beach, an hour from the Great Smoky Mountains.

Good luck.

Yesterday I received an invitation to interview on February 14th. It' is probably the next one.

They are having another Open House on Wednesday, Feb. 19th. Check their website for times. Highly recommend attending if you gave not yet.

As for what Knoxville is like . . . . I've lived in knoxville for almost 12 years. It's the longest I have ever lived anywhere. Knoxville has some diversity, economically, post-secondary education, philosophically, ethnically, etc. it has been a great place to live and raise a family. We are only 6-7 hours away from the beach, an hour from the Great Smoky Mountains.

Good luck.

When did you get your completed application status email?

Hey guys, 

What do y'all mean about update letter? I have finished classes since my caspa, should i have a send another transcript? 

Hey Vlsmith,

A letter of update is optional to send. First, yes, definitely send your newest transcripts with completed courses! They will definitely want that. As for the letter of update, I basically sent one in regards to anything new that has changed since my CAPSA submission. I sent a detailed update regarding my job position (it's not technicially direct patient contact). I described why it makes me a excellent candidate. I also mentioned a new job position as an EKG tech, as well as my plans to apply for another position in order to gain more hands on contact.  

Hope this helps! :)

No idea how many seats are filled yet. Class sizes are around 70. My class has 65, class below has 72, I think. 

Congrats on the interview! Just be yourself, prepare a joke. Get used to interviewing in a group, the interviews are group interviews. The great thing about our process is before you interview, you get to ask a bunch of questions to the current students while you tour. ask for tips, or ask real questions you are afraid to ask the teachers. All the students at South are very cool and more than willing to help out, plus they won't tell on you! Good luck to all of you :) 

Last information meeting I went to Dr. Hillegas said the new class had 65 seats. Good luck to all with interviews. The staff I have met so far have been fantastic to talk to and willing to tell you whatever they can. The campus is easy to find off the interstate for those traveling here. Knoxville offers a little bit of everything without being too big, so those of you who haven't made it to Knoxville yet, be at ease!

Archived