Marshall B. Ketchum PA Program

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you guys share what impressed you so about the program?

clinical rotation sites e.g. Harvard, Yale

staff experience in PA education (and they are ALL incredibly approachable)

location/weather (if you're from socal, you must already know ;])

One thing though-and this may be a deal breaker for some people-is that they have prosected cadavers. But they did mention they are working on getting cadavers to dissect, possibly at a different site.

I like that MBKU is one of few schools that offer a clinical rotation in psych. 

They do integrated learning (ex. a patient comes in with a heart attack we learn about anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and treatment all based on heart attacks). I think that would really help me as a student get familiar with the material quicker. 

Also, all the staff members are super friendly and extremely knowledgeable. 

I hope we all hear some good news the first week of February! After visiting this school, it's definitely one of my top choices!

clinical rotation sites e.g. Harvard, Yale

staff experience in PA education (and they are ALL incredibly approachable)

location/weather (if you're from socal, you must already know ;])

One thing though-and this may be a deal breaker for some people-is that they have prosected cadavers. But they did mention they are working on getting cadavers to dissect, possibly at a different site.

Most programs I interviewed at us prosection - mostly because as a PA student you simply do not have time to do a full dissection!  I forgot to ask about the anatomy lab situation.  Sounds like they have it covered!

Did anyone ask how they will arrange their clinic skills course?  Some programs have simulation exam rooms, or paid actors - did MBKU happen to mention in during an interview day?  

What most impressed me was the approachability of all staff/faculty members, small class sizes and the clinical rotation sites already organized.  Sounds like they have it down.  Given there are only 28 students to find rotations for, it will definitely mean less likelihood of cancelled clinicals - a problem I hear is common at other big programs.

@Kristinnaaa

I am happy to see they had a psych rotation too!  Definitely something that is important to me.  I was disappointed that a big program like USC did not have one establish.  When I asked if they had a psych rotation during an info session, they basically told me that you will get a chance to see psych cases...while doing your primary care rotations!  Although true, I was not entirely sold on that response.

@Rivileng I heard we were going to hear back the first week of feburary. But I do hope we hear something back soon!

@futurePA1234 Yes. The way I understood it is that they cannot fully accredit a school because there hasn't been a record of students. They need to know how the students will do on the PANCE and other exams. And how they par with other students from other schools. But they are very optismistic that they will get the provisional accreditation so that this first year will be eligible to take the PANCE exam. So in other words, there has to be an academic record before full acreditation can be awarded. (That's what I understood, but I could also be totally wrong)

Good to everyone! I'm so nervous and anxious!!

Archived