In a bind. LOR.

Hi everyone. Just graduated college this May, so I don't have extensive "work" experience. Mainly tried to get in hours between classes! With that said, I have 2 LORs from professors. One who has known me for three years and another who I have gotten to know very well over the past year and worked great with; one is a microbiologist, one a parasitologist. The PA I shadowed for 15 hrs agreed to write me one, however, it has been like pulling teeth to get the letter from him. I'm an anxious mess and just want to submit my applications! Been waiting on his letter. Frankly, he's a smart guy but has the personality of a wet mop and I'm weary about how great his LOR will be. On the other hand, I've been working at an Assisted Living facility over a year and my Director loves me. Was promoted to medication manager last month and she gave me a glowing performance review. Should I just go ahead and delete the PA from CASPA and ask her to write me an LOR and submit it by next week? I feel bad about asking her on short notice but am in a bind....if anyone could please offer some advice.

Thanks!!

Many schools require a letter from a PA. You should look and see what the schools you are applying to require, and make your decision from there. I would use a PA letter, the Director letter, and a professor letter. This way you have someone from the PA profession, someone who can speak to your ability to work with and interact with patients, and someone who can speak to your scholastic and academic achievements.

This is just my opinion but I think the LOR's should be a reflection of who you are to help admission committees get a more 3D picture of an applicant. If you can get three really good letters from people who know you and like you then I think that trumps a bland letter from a PA who only knew you for 15 hours. I would say drop the PA and contact that director. But that's just me...

The admission committee will have a standard packet on you but, other than your essay and LORs, nothing very personal. I would opt for someone who know you well over someone who knew you for 15 hours (less than a day!). What could that person possibly say that would add much to the committee's understanding of what you are like?

My three letters were:

- Senior manager and friend who had known me for 20+ years

- Professor who knew how hard I would work in school

- EMS chief (delegated to our training Lt) who knew what I could do with patients and in crisis situations

Your LORs are marketing pieces for you, not just checking a box. You probably won't get to see them, so go with people you trust.

Good luck!

Thank you all :smile: & marktheshark, none of the schools I'm applying to require a PA but some say it would make me a more competitive applicant. I'm going to think on it a couple of days but I do feel more comfortable going with someone who knows me better!

I wonder if it may help that PA if you submitted an "example" of a LOR to this PA in order to help them compile their thoughts. A guideline of sorts..or some examples that they may want to include in their letter.

I have had more than one boss tell me to write my own letter and they'll sign it.

I wonder if it may help that PA if you submitted an "example" of a LOR to this PA in order to help them compile their thoughts. A guideline of sorts..or some examples that they may want to include in their letter.

I have had more than one boss tell me to write my own letter and they'll sign it.

That has happened to me as well. First, I thought it was a strange request so I checked it out on here and everyone said that it was OK. So, when the time is right and if the professor is still alive and kicking (another story) I will more and likely have do what you said Steve.

As a side note to this (and please correct me if I'm wrong), can't you e-submit your CASPA application with two letters completed and have the third one sent later (being able to delete/add a new reference if needed)? That way they can verify your application while you're waiting for that third letter? I am getting ready to e-submit my application and would love confirmation on this.

Thanks!

aiviphung, yes you can submit with two LORs. Once the third comes in, CASPA will forward it to your designations! Also,The PA that I was having trouble contacting finally e-mailed back and apologized for the delay. He then submitted it that night & told me to keep him updated on my application process! I have my three letters now so I'm going to submit this week and hope for the best; good luck everyone!!!

Archived