Applying to nursing school as backup?

So I have already completed my applications for this cycle, but I am realistic that I may need more quality clinical experience and higher GPA than what i currently have (CNA at an assisted living facility is all I could find for now). My question is would applying to an accelerated BSN program at the same time to prepare if I dont get in be a senseless thing to do?

You could get some great experience (and better quality, medically speaking than working as a CNA) in your clinicals in an accelerated BSN program. The only downside I see is paying a bunch of money for said experience, as opposed to being paid as a CNA (even though it's basically minimum wage). However, it's a short pathway to a career that could lead you to something you really love and open up the door to NP programs as well. I think it's a good idea if you're comfortable with the costs associated with it.

Thanks EKR007! There is actually a loan forgiveness program in North Carolina for nurses where you work for each year that you took out a loan and all is forgiven so that could be something that I could look into, Plus you're right I could still go to either PA or NP no problem... Thanks again!

I am also interested in this track but have a question-- do schools accept the clinicals from the accelerated BSN program as clinical experience or would it be suggested to work as an RN for a while before applying? In other words I am asking if it would be frowned upon if I applied to PA programs immediately after graduating from a BSN program.

Archived