Patient Health Care vs Other HCE

I am not sure how to categorize my HCE.

I am currently a hospital volunteer and as a volunteer, I take vitals, assist in feeding patients, turn beds, assist CNA/nurses in giving patients sponge baths, etc. I basically perform a lot of CNAs tasks while under the supervision of CNAs and nurses.

I also shadow PAs, doctors and observe surgeries in the OR.

Does this go under "patient care" or "other health care experience"? I did not receive any formal training for this volunteer position other than the hospital training me before each rotation.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thank you in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at my CASPA app-not sure how to categorize my HCE or work experience... if I work as an M.A., do the same duties and spend time on patient care, does that count towards HCE? I didn't obviously partake in any formal training, but the doc I work for trained me on the job as did a former CNA that worked for him...

• 3 weeks later...

No matter where you put your experience, ultimately, the program(s) admissions teams will make the final decision on what your listed experience(s) count towards, specific to their program(s). If you did not have formal training, then put it under volunteer experience, but if you did have formal training, or held a job, then include it under health care experience.

Archived