Finding 1st job as a new graduate

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to find job openings? I have a few possibilities and possible offers from my rotations but want to purse other options also. Indeed and DocCafe have been my primary avenue but I haven't heard back from any of the resumes I've posted on these sites.

With Indeed there is no place for a cover letter to add to the resume and I feel as a new grad that I'm at a disadvantage with no experience. Advice anyone?

Know where you want to live or what specialty you want to work in? If so, start finding clinic websites and looking there for openings. Send resume and cover letter to any and all clinics you'd be interested in working for if they have an opening. If not, then call the office manager and inquire about any openings that might not be listed (or email them). See if you can send a resume just so that you're on their radar if anything does open up.

I know when I was a brand new grad, I had to send out a lot of resumes to get any sort of response. Don't get discouraged. Just keep sending them out. And it seems like once you get one break, you'll get several. In one day, I had 4 people call me about applications I submitted. For me, it was very time consuming because each hospital system here has a different application. But once you submit to one posting, the system saves your resume.

Another thing to do is to contact recruiters from each hospital you want to work with. They usually want a short interview and then when open positions come up, they will call you. I've had them call several times (for jobs I wasn't interested in, but I appreciated their follow-up).

Finally, check with alumni postings at PA schools. In my area, there is an alumni section at one school that posts jobs for anyone to see (not just their grads).

Good luck!

For hospitals they often say advanced practice providers or nurse practitioners. From what I've seen, unless your area is strangled by nursing unions holding the hospitals hostage, you can apply for nurse practitioner jobs as a PA.

Stay away from retail clinics, I don't know anyone who is happy in one as their first job out of school. They are OK for an occasional weekend shift for extra cash, but often humiliating for the providers in many cases. Do you really want to walk a grocery store isles in your hard earned white coat handing out weight loss flyers?...

Archived