PA School Excel File and a formal Hello :-)

I've been a member of this forum for a little while as I've contemplated on going to PA school. I've been looking for a collective sheet that lists all the schools and etc. I've come to find that the PAEA has a directory of this information and I've used it as well as some of my own research to compile a list for me to compare and contrast the numbers and information between schools.

Now I've decided that it's somewhat up to a standard that might help someone else so I would like to share it. It's not completely finished so if someone decides to finish it or improve on it, please share it with the rest of us. I would most definitely be grateful. It's in a zip file because excel files are not allowed as an attachment apparently.

Concurrently, I would like to formally say Hello and introduce myself as I plan to be a part of this community. My name is Dat. I reside in Seattle and I currently do research for a non-profit biotech company. I have just recently published what might be the biggest best publication to date (for myself personally). (Cover page of Nature Immunology - http://www.nature.com/ni/journal/v11/n12/index.html).

I have two question, (1) does my research count towards the "Health Care Requirement". From what I've read and looked up, it seems like it doesn't since it's all bench science and not hands on experience. (2) Which are the cheapest PA school that offers a masters in Physician Assistant Studies? (Tuition + Fees).

Thanks in advance for any replies

Anyways, this post is getting long. Hello everyone. I will be asking many more questions for all y'all, and I'll try to help anyone else as I do.

PA Programs.zip

• Upvote 1

Hello Dat,

How kind to assemble a list. That looks like it took a lot of time. I'm not sure which schools you're applying to, but the ones I applied to(MWU-IL, Emory, Duke) definitely would NOT consider the research direct patient care experience, and spell out what they mean on their website. (never hurts to ask the ones you're applying to). Best Wishes in the journey!

Michele

Sorry I can't exactly help you with your HCE question, but I do recall some school accepting research in the biomedical field as acceptable HCE, though they preferred it be more handson. I too looked through tons of schools so now I don't remember which one it was anymore, sorry :( But thank you SO MUCH for this excel spreadsheet, the last 2 weeks I've been compiling one of my own as well but have only gotten through 10 schools, this is very helpful, thanks!

• Upvote 1

Hello there! As far as your research countng as HCE I'm not really sure. Contact the program you are intrested directly and double check with them.

The Cheapest school I have knowledge of is Stony Brook University. It is a state school in New York City and it is one of the best nationally. Currently, in state tuition for a New York State resident is around $22,400 and out of state is $33,200. Some schools can charge on average $70,000 for a MS degree. Explore your options! Go to open houses if you can and get a feel for their programs! Good Luck!

Wow great man, thanks a mil.

As far as the research, it depends on the school, as always. If you were interacting with patients (i.e. EEGs, fMRIs, blood draws, etc), you should call the school and ask if this counts. It is up to the school from there. I know some programs will give a preference for those that have research hours, i.e. http://paprogram.medicine.uiowa.edu/. I think some programs will be excited that you are in research, since it shows an understanding in contemporary science, but others may say "that's nice" but still expect 1,000+ patient hours.

Good to have you man. I also work part time in research at a neuroscience lab, I am working on my potential first publication starting last December (hope to publish in the spring). It is over genetics and cognition and alzheimer's. Let me know if you have any advice.

from one FL school (http://pap.med.ufl.edu/admissions/prerequisites-2/patient-care-experience/)

Research

Although research experience may be considered by the Admissions Committee in evaluating an application, it is not a substitute for direct patient care. Experience in laboratory research studies is not regarded as direct patient care unless it involves actual hands-on contact with patients who are subjects of a research study. Laboratory assistant positions in basic science laboratories are also not regarded as patient care.

Edited by winterallsummer

Hi Dat!

Good work with the list you've compiled. I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I've been working in research & development for the last year and a half. However, i do have contact with patients when i go to our renal clinic to consent them (not exactly sure if that counts a HCE). I'm planning to apply this spring and HCE is my main concern. I do have some volunteer hours shadowing MDs (Residents included), NPs and PAs. And i plan on volunteering in a pediatric renal clinic starting mid January, but i'll be shadowing a Physician. And i was told not to waste my time because i HAVE to shadow a PA to even be considered. Does anyone know if that's true?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've attached a list I've been working on for PA schools. These are the ones that I've been interested in to this point. I've gone through probably 70% of the schools. I am currently working on a master's degree in exercise physiology. I have compiled close to 500 hours of research, mostly human-based. On my excel sheet, under research...if it says yes it is the schools that will accept my research for direct patient contact hours. Also, I am a cardiac monitor technician at the hospital, where I'll have around 1,000 hours by mid-may in the past 8 months for my application. Most programs will also accept this.

I've emailed all schools with the same questions, and the ones yet to return the email (I sent out 2 days ago on Friday) are left blank. I've had a really positive response from most schools, which is exciting. The following is the email I send out, just to give you guys a few details on the type of research I'm doing and what they are accepting.

Good Morning,

I am currently in the master's program of Exercise Physiology at West Virginia University. Following completion of my thesis (Spring 2012) I will be entering a Physician Assistant program. The strength of the program at the University of New Mexico is of great interest to me.

The reason for my writing you is to determine whether or not the hours of direct-patient care experience can be satisfied through the research I am currently conducting in the program. Our main focus is to determine the effects of metabolic syndrome on the arterial and cardiac system during rest, and most importantly exercise. This is human based research, where I work several hours a week with patients including;

1) screening for the study

2) A three hour round of tests (blood draws, radial tonometry to measure pressure waves, ultrasound, VO2 max stress test)

3) 8-week exercise program, each participant works for 3 hours each week

Also, I am working at the hospital 20 hours a week as a Cardiac Monitor Technician. This does not involve in depth patient contact. However, It does provide me with a great opportunity to increase my knowledge and skills in a healthcare setting.

I look forward to hearing from your program and visiting the campus in the near future.

Thank you for your assistance,

Brian

Good luck everyone!

PA Schools.doc

• 2 weeks later...

Hey tnsmith20,

I think that any type of shadowing would look good to an admissions committee if you can elaborate on how that has affected your decision to be a PA but I'm sure that if you had shadowing experience with a PA that it would look great in compliment to your physician shadowing.

Hey breger1,

Thanks for sharing your list. It has become useful for me.

Good luck on your journey.

Dat

I've attached a list I've been working on for PA schools. These are the ones that I've been interested in to this point. I've gone through probably 70% of the schools. I am currently working on a master's degree in exercise physiology. I have compiled close to 500 hours of research, mostly human-based. On my excel sheet, under research...if it says yes it is the schools that will accept my research for direct patient contact hours. Also, I am a cardiac monitor technician at the hospital, where I'll have around 1,000 hours by mid-may in the past 8 months for my application. Most programs will also accept this.

I've emailed all schools with the same questions, and the ones yet to return the email (I sent out 2 days ago on Friday) are left blank. I've had a really positive response from most schools, which is exciting. The following is the email I send out, just to give you guys a few details on the type of research I'm doing and what they are accepting.

Good Morning,

I am currently in the master's program of Exercise Physiology at West Virginia University. Following completion of my thesis (Spring 2012) I will be entering a Physician Assistant program. The strength of the program at the University of New Mexico is of great interest to me.

The reason for my writing you is to determine whether or not the hours of direct-patient care experience can be satisfied through the research I am currently conducting in the program. Our main focus is to determine the effects of metabolic syndrome on the arterial and cardiac system during rest, and most importantly exercise. This is human based research, where I work several hours a week with patients including;

1) screening for the study

2) A three hour round of tests (blood draws, radial tonometry to measure pressure waves, ultrasound, VO2 max stress test)

3) 8-week exercise program, each participant works for 3 hours each week

Also, I am working at the hospital 20 hours a week as a Cardiac Monitor Technician. This does not involve in depth patient contact. However, It does provide me with a great opportunity to increase my knowledge and skills in a healthcare setting.

I look forward to hearing from your program and visiting the campus in the near future.

Thank you for your assistance,

Brian

Good luck everyone!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...