Any questions for a current student?

I had a question concerning deferment. I know this may be premature thinking, but I am getting married Jan 11 2014 and moving to Florida right before this time. If I were to get in, I would need to defer my enrollment until the next year due to my moving/relocating/marriage/getting settled. Unfortunately I misunderstood the application date and was under the wrong impression that I was applying to a cycle that matriculated in Jan 2015. I thought that sounded far off but I didn't question it. Anyway, I was wondering if you knew whether South allows people to defer their enrollment? Thanks for the help

I had a question concerning deferment. I know this may be premature thinking, but I am getting married Jan 11 2014 and moving to Florida right before this time. If I were to get in, I would need to defer my enrollment until the next year due to my moving/relocating/marriage/getting settled. Unfortunately I misunderstood the application date and was under the wrong impression that I was applying to a cycle that matriculated in Jan 2015. I thought that sounded far off but I didn't question it. Anyway, I was wondering if you knew whether South allows people to defer their enrollment? Thanks for the help

To be honest, I'm not sure. My gut feeling is to say no, there isn't a deferment option. But you'd probably have to call/e-mail the office and find out.

You sure you'd want to defer? I'm sure you know what's best for you, but I feel like a year is a long time to wait around, just because of few weeks timing. If it makes a difference, the first quarter is pretty light and would leave you time to move or whatever over weekends. Plus there's only class Mon-Thurs the 1st quarter (at least for the c/o 2015). Just a thought.

I really don't see how it would work for me to matriculate in Jan 2014 because I am moving from NC and our wedding is in SC. We're going to be all over the place. My fiance lives in Tampa currently but his lease expires right around the time of our wedding so we will be having to move him and move me from NC to FL. Plus we have already planned an expensive honeymoon. It is simply bad timing unfortunately. I do not mind deferring because I'm only 22 and right out of school. I wouldn't mind working a year and saving some money. Anyway, thanks for the help. I will probably email someone from the school.

In response to the whats the biggest challenge question...Annnd getting along. There are 28 of us in a small room 5 days a week and we're all stressed out. Don't forget about that. =)

Shhhh Syd don't scare away the applicants!

(also feel free to change your status to PA student on here)

Heres a question(s):

What do you current students like most about South? Was there anything in particular that made you choose South University over another? How demanding is the curriculum? Do you have time for family or even for yourself? Are exams fair? Do you have to do a lot of out sourcing to get better answers etc.?

The curriculum's pretty demanding, but I'd say that's the same for every PA program. You come into this knowing it's going to take over your life. I think everyone has a little time for something they enjoy doing outside of studying. If we have a free morning or get out early I usually run, some people go to the gym, others take naps and others have families they need to take care of. You learn to plan in a little extra time for important things. Usually I come home and start studying right away and then go to sleep, I don't really go out. Buuuut there are people that go out and have social lives and whatnot. Like I mentioned in my other comment, this is stressful. You're with a group of people all the time and every single person is stressed, so it's important to have something that's completely unrelated to school to look forward to when you get home. I think the time you have for other things really depends on knowing how much time YOU need to commit to studying. If you feel like you can learn everything you need by cramming the day before then you'll have a lot more time.

As far as exams go, they're usually pretty good about throwing out bad questions. They can usually tell if something went wrong on their end or on ours, and they do care that we're being tested fairly. One thing I've noticed is that if you have a problem and speak directly to one of the professors about it, something will be done to at least try to fix it. They love feedback. If you study the material they present in class, the powerpoints or read the books, youll pass the exams. BUT if you really want to make sure you're getting everything I'd say out source. I look up a lot of extra examples on my own just to make sure the basic stuff is going to stay with me.

What do you current students like most about South?

The biggest thing for me is that some of the faculty is golden. We have some really great faculty that will listen to concerns from the class collectively, and from students individually; they have open-door policies; they're not opposed to changing the weekly schedule around if it's what the class wants (and if it's possible).

Lots of little things: small campus with easy access/parking, nice clean mobile website for your grades, chairs that are comfortable (but not too much), unlimited free printing in the library, cheap gourmet lunches from the chef school which shares the campus...

Was there anything in particular that made you choose South University over another?

For me, it was all about timing and location. The class started in January instead of the fall, and it was close to home.

How demanding is the curriculum?

Not sure how to answer this, as it's all subjective. I think all but the brightest students will find the curriculum challenging, or at least parts of it.

Do you have time for family or even for yourself?

As a single guy with no kids, I feel that I do. There are definitely weeks where you're looking forward to the weekend just simply to get caught up on studying, but there's others where you feel comfortable relaxing. Maybe go out for some drinks, or get out of town for the weekend.

On a daily basis I generally have time to get to the gym, cook meals, live life, etc without feeling rushed or that I'm falling behind. Everyone will be different though, and I know it's got to be much more of a challenge for those in the class with families.

Are exams fair?

I feel that they are, for the most part. There's always those exams that you feel had misleading questions, or ambiguous answers, but the professors are generally good about hearing our side of the story. If they agree then they'll give points back for certain questions.

It takes a little while to figure out how each professor writes their own tests. After figuring that out, it may still be challenging, but you generally know what to expect.

Do you have to do a lot of out sourcing to get better answers etc.?

You mean, if we ask a question in class and don't feel like we get a very good answer?

Sometimes that happens, but almost always another classmate will catch on to what you're asking and re-phrase your question, or be able to answer it for you themselves. Rarely, for more obscure or non-clinical questions, the answer is "I don't know", in which case it falls on you to find out.

Luckily we have access to resources like UpToDate through the library portal for the times we do need to outsource information.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for being available to answer all of our questions. This is such a big help. I also received an interview. And was wondering about the process. Will there be an essay question prior to the interview? How long is the whole process? Will there be a tour of the school? Thank you so much

Will there be an essay question prior to the interview?

Last year there was. I think it was a research article on PAs in practice.

How long is the whole process? Will there be a tour of the school?

It takes most of the day. Make sure to get there early, meet your fellow applicants in the lobby, and get your nerves out. Depending on the size of your group, they may have lunch ready for you when you head up to the conference room. Then, you'll meet the program director and some faculty, who will make some speeches and give an overview of the program (which, I don't think anyone really listens to since everyone's anticipating the interviews). You'll get a personalized packet outlining what entrance requirements, if any, you have outstanding. Then, you'll get to meet Adam and Kevin, the President and Vice Pres of the most recently admitted class (mine). Depending on time, you may have a tour of the campus at this point. Then the interviews start in the main PA offices.

For my interview group of 9, i think it took us a good 5 hours if I recall correctly.

-Sotaskimmer

Hows it going? I was recently invited for an interview for the Jan. 2016 class. I also have been invited for interviews at 2 NOVA locations. Would you recommend one over the other? Or have you heard any comparisons between the two??

Thank you for your time.

Comparisons between Nova and South? Or between Nova locations?

From everything I've heard all the Nova locations are pretty solid. Especially Nova Ft. Lauderdale, which has been around a long time, and was actually the 2nd program to become active in the state (after UF).

As for comparing South and Nova, I don't think I'm qualified for that since I've never even seen the Nova campuses. You may want to post on those school's forums to find more detailed information about those schools.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if SU places a big emphasis on family practice or any specialties. I know there are some schools that are big into some specialties while most really focus on family practice or peds etc. any thoughts? Thanks!

I would say no. Of course the initial purpose for PA's was to fill a need in primary care, and most of the faculty will recommend that everyone start off in it to really learn the basics as a second nature. However most are well aware that most of the class won't do this, and most of them have worked in a variety of settings and specialties, so they really don't reinforce the idea IMO. I don't think our lectures are biased towards any one specialty either way unlike some schools that have a focus in say cardiology or family practice. Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I was told south university calculates their own gpa and uses the higher of the 2 grades when you have to retake a course. Do you know if this is true? I had to retake 2 classes and I'm afraid my caspa gpa will be low and most schools will just disregard my application. Any ideas???

Archived