PA-S1 wanting medical shcool

The vast majority of us young PA-S's could have gone to med school but actively chose not to. I had to take every class that's required for pre-med for my major anyway and I had several people encourage me to go the MD route instead. I thought about it for a long time and do not regret my decision.

As far as the OP taking someone's spot, if that someone else really "deserved" a spot, they would've got in regardless of someone who may drop out. That is just ridiculous.

Have you tried winning the lottery or perhaps a medium sized bank robbery? It can't be THAT hard to come up with 1 million bucks.

the million bucks is the break even point vs continuing to work as a pa. even doubling my salary as a doc it would take 10 yrs after residency to make that up.

the million bucks is the break even point vs continuing to work as a pa. even doubling my salary as a doc it would take 10 yrs after residency to make that up.

14 years to break even between PA student S1 and MD/DO Student M1. Being 31 when first applying and 33 when starting my program I'd break even at 47. Of course the money increase would widen that gap exponentially once the break even point has been reached, but having to support my family and putting my kids through school requires money up front today at a lower rate versus the high payout later.

At 23/24/25 you'd be 37-39 so waiting for the big payout is worth it at that point. Just food for thought. Would I go to med school if given the chance? Not past 30, but that's just me I guess.

To the OP, follow your heart. Don't get stuck where you'll be kicking yourself later. So some kid didn't get a spot this year, well there's 170+ other programs they should of also considered. Hopefully they learned and improved their application / interviewing skills to not be a borderline applicant but to become a solid candidate.

This whole "You should have been certain" and "can't ever change your mind" thing, "you took away a seat..." attitude. I ask you all this...Have you ever been married and gone through a divorce? Have you ever thought "Holy Cow I am the luckiest person in the world, I am truly blessed" then to suddenly have a late arriving awakening? Have you ever bought a car and then later found out that it wasn't really what you wanted?

I went into PA school KNOWING I should have went to med school YEARS ago. Instead, I chose a different path. I opted to serve in the military doing medicine then later working as a paramedic for over a decade. When I finally decided that it was time for a career boost I was elbows deep in a family and all the associated costs (cost of time as well) associated therewith. Not having a Bachelors I was looking at a minimum of 11 years of school before I could start looking to come up for air. When you're 38 with three little kids who miss their Daddy every time he goes to work or school, 11 years is a lifetime.

We don't know the OPs situation. Personally I get the impression that they failed to obtain decent health care experience prior to making their choice so they didn't fully investigate the roles of PA vs MD/DO. But hell....I did. Over 20 years I worked side by side both PAs and MDs. And you know what? I still toy with the idea of doing as a retirement project..make a game of it to see if I can get in at the age of 60 or so. I know it's been done.

I vote you let the OP just stew in their juices and let them make their own choice, stop guilting him with a bunch of tired phrases. Whichever direction they decide to go, they will regret it. Part of growing up is learning to live with regret. Embrace the suck.

I vote you let the OP just stew in their juices and let them make their own choice, stop guilting him with a bunch of tired phrases. Whichever direction they decide to go, they will regret it. Part of growing up is learning to live with regret. Embrace the suck.

What's really funny is that every path is just life. It's like waiting for the perfect time to have kids only to realize that there never was or will be a perfect time, nor does it matter on iota. PA, doctor, ditch digger, bouncer, truck driver, or anything else. You still eat, poop, breath, walk and talk like anyone else. In the end there is never anything to regret. It is what it is.

That said, OP is a terrible person and will die in poverty regretting PA school to the end.

Immature views ugh! Really! Someone is asked in CASPA why do you want to be a PA? What was your answer I bet nothing was mentioned about I still feel like I want to be an MD. In school interview when asked why not MD or NP I bet someone didnt mention any concern for now or later considering medical school, so much for integrity! Your feelings did not just develop they have been with you forever but you didnt follow through on them. Life happens I get it but not even done with your first semester and then come on a forum whinning and looking for someone to hold your hand ugh! Its time to grow up people! If you commit to something in life then finish it and then pursue other options. Too many people sign contracts then walk out on them, commit to school programs then day before classes start decide to inform them I wont be in class. Is it our American way now? Buy a house then a year later go bankrupt knowing some one else will pay for it. Take responsibility for once people! Am I the only person who finds something seriously wrong with this way of acting? The healthcare field of all employment available is in need of honest people with integrity and the ability to make sound decisions that might decide life or death of someone. Oh! I change my mind nurse we should not have given that medication or maybe we should give that one instead after you killed your patient. Ugh! We need higher standards for decission making abilities and we need to be overly concerned when someone who makes questionable judgements pursues careers in healthcare IMHO. To compare to buying a car or having a divorce is a big leap. This decission affects others who are not confused about the future road they want to take. Sure someone missed that spot who really wanted to be a PA. They will get in somewhere if they deserve it anyway. That is precisely the wrong attitude medical personnel need. If it was you who missed out on a medical school or physician assistant spot then wouldnt the view be different? Its his student loans that are being wasted why should I care? Because if someone drops a PA program after one semester to pursue Med school it is highly unlikely he will get into any program after quiting despite stellar grades. If you commit to something finish it if its possible! Maybe I am being a jerk here but I find it sad that nobody but GatorRRT finds this attitude of no harm no foul absolutely disgusting and appears to be the majority on this board. Enough said. I was raised differently I guess? Just another sign of the times. Go ahead flame away I wont be surprised just a little disappointed.

What's really funny is that every path is just life. It's like waiting for the perfect time to have kids only to realize that there never was or will be a perfect time, nor does it matter on iota. PA, doctor, ditch digger, bouncer, truck driver, or anything else. You still eat, poop, breath, walk and talk like anyone else. In the end there is never anything to regret. It is what it is.

That said, OP is a terrible person and will die in poverty regretting PA school to the end.

Excuse me, but NO ONE poops like me....:p

Edited due to stupid auto complete

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

If that is really what you want you should quit now while you are ahead financially. I assume, like most students, you are using government loans which are not unlimited. Your student loan burden after a PA and MD/DO will be extremely high and you may exceed your borrowing limit in your last few years of medical school. Unfortunately this happened to me (M.S. Biology, PhD Biology, then PA). I really struggled the last 8 months of school and probably would have starved had it not been for my boyfriend.

If that is really what you want you should quit now while you are ahead financially. I assume, like most students, you are using government loans which are not unlimited. Your student loan burden after a PA and MD/DO will be extremely high and you may exceed your borrowing limit in your last few years of medical school. Unfortunately this happened to me (M.S. Biology, PhD Biology, then PA). I really struggled the last 8 months of school and probably would have starved had it not been for my boyfriend.

if they drop out of pa and don't get into md/do they will have no job, not be able to get into another pa program, and have the debt of undergrad + 1/2 of pa school to deal with. better to finish pa then go from there...

Immature views ugh! Really! Someone is asked in CASPA why do you want to be a PA? What was your answer I bet nothing was mentioned about I still feel like I want to be an MD. In school interview when asked why not MD or NP I bet someone didnt mention any concern for now or later considering medical school, so much for integrity! Your feelings did not just develop they have been with you forever but you didnt follow through on them. Life happens I get it but not even done with your first semester and then come on a forum whinning and looking for someone to hold your hand ugh! Its time to grow up people! If you commit to something in life then finish it and then pursue other options. Too many people sign contracts then walk out on them, commit to school programs then day before classes start decide to inform them I wont be in class. Is it our American way now? Buy a house then a year later go bankrupt knowing some one else will pay for it. Take responsibility for once people! Am I the only person who finds something seriously wrong with this way of acting? The healthcare field of all employment available is in need of honest people with integrity and the ability to make sound decisions that might decide life or death of someone. Oh! I change my mind nurse we should not have given that medication or maybe we should give that one instead after you killed your patient. Ugh! We need higher standards for decission making abilities and we need to be overly concerned when someone who makes questionable judgements pursues careers in healthcare IMHO. To compare to buying a car or having a divorce is a big leap. This decission affects others who are not confused about the future road they want to take. Sure someone missed that spot who really wanted to be a PA. They will get in somewhere if they deserve it anyway. That is precisely the wrong attitude medical personnel need. If it was you who missed out on a medical school or physician assistant spot then wouldnt the view be different? Its his student loans that are being wasted why should I care? Because if someone drops a PA program after one semester to pursue Med school it is highly unlikely he will get into any program after quiting despite stellar grades. If you commit to something finish it if its possible! Maybe I am being a jerk here but I find it sad that nobody but GatorRRT finds this attitude of no harm no foul absolutely disgusting and appears to be the majority on this board. Enough said. I was raised differently I guess? Just another sign of the times. Go ahead flame away I wont be surprised just a little disappointed.

There are many points in your thread that I agree with. It does appear that personal responsibility has been on the decline for several years. Personally, I believe "reality TV" as a large contributing factor where millions of viewers start to believe it is completely ok to act like a spoiled brat. Folded into that mess is generation of kids that were raised with getting a trophy for showing up on day 1 of soccer season.

As far as things being a bit of stretch, I was highlighting that people invest into major time and monetary commitments and change their mind. It happens. Like it or not, that's the way it is. Would you rather have this kid who doesn't want to be a PA go through school, get their -C and then spread their discontent and self loathing among a cohesive team of providers? I just had a rotation where one of the PAs is wicked angry at the world and throws temper tantrums. He feels his skills are not being properly recognized. I don't understand why he is still employed but he is their hot mess to deal with, I was lucky and got to move on.

I have a couple of points. 1. Yes, I agree that personal responsibility needs to be stepped up a couple of notches.

2. Berating the OP for not having a clear mind regarding their path in life will not fix anything. If they drop, the school isn't going to call you for that empty seat.

3. Insisting that the OP continue into a career that they will not enjoy will only spread the poison further. You are upset that they have a seat in a class. Imagine how pissed you'll be when they take the last position in your favorite career path for your local area, leaving you on the street still looking for work.

4. Speaking of big leaps... you did not agree with me comparing PA school to marriage but then you draw parallels from a young student being confused about their path to medication errors and death of a patient. I would like to caution you that berating or demanding that a provider never changes their mind during the execution of a plan of care may lead to dogmatic progress that does not allow for variability, creativity, nor does it nurture a team based approach to patient care. This is a person who is unsure of their approach to medical education, not their ability to learn the information and perform superior care.

5. If a PA school applicant is of superior quality and is flexible in the location of where they attend school, I think they would be hard pressed to say that the OP is the one reason they did not get into PA school. At the end of the day, the OP worked harder, performed better, was more flexible and overall a better candidate at the time of their application. You have no idea what they put down in CASPA or answered at the interview or even what school they are attending. You want to believe that an answer of "I'm unsure" would be an automatic "no" for PA school but we all know there are dozens of new and emerging PA programs who are hungry to fill their seats. There are programs out there that have no requirement for previous health care experience, their GPA requirements are relatively low, the GRE holds no weight, they are in a provisional status...these programs are hungry for students. If you show up with a very solid GPA, some HCE, and a rocking GRE, they want you. They want your brains to graduate their program so they can add another mark in the "pass" column for first time PANCE pass rates. @ 160 programs in the country..if a person can't get into one then I suggest they take a hard look at their application process rather than blaming their failure of acceptance on other people. After all, isn't this all about personal responsibility?

I am really puzzled by some of the responses to the OPs question. All they wanted to know is how to address the issue of dropping a PA program in favor of med school. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that, but I will say, that if that is what you want to do, then go for it. Personally, my biggest regrets in life are the things I DIDN'T do rather than the things I did do.

Like others have said, the OP did NOT take a seat from ANYONE...they EARNED it. It is up to them if they want to continue. If you didn't get into a program, I guarantee it was not because of the OP.

There are many PAs that regret not going to med school, and now due to circumstances feel that they can't go now. Some like EMEDPA, would be OUTSTANDING docs, and would be fantastic for the PA profession for the opportunities and advocacy the would provide for PAs. I wish we had more PAs going into med school, because I am selfish and know that they would help further the PA profession tremendously. I sincerely hope those folks DO find a way to follow their dream.

The OP in no way, shape or form disparaged PAs...They just realized their path lies in another direction. Personally, I think it is wise to withdraw now and not incur more debt. But that's just me.

As for me...I was in the OR for 12 years then left to pursue a career in IT. I did well for 20 years and missed medicine every day of them, but KNEW it was to late to go back. But at 49 I finally realized it's never to late...so here I am.

I just hope it doesn't take the OP as long to follow their dream...like I said...it's the things I DIDN'T do that I regret the most...

Paragraphs are your friend!

Its one long paragraph Fatty haha. If its too hard to read then dont! Sorry Oneal, never been a desk jockey English major or Music master on a boat. I only had time to concentrate on the real world and what is important to normal people. This forum is starting to feel like all the SDN rejects gather here and has turned toxic last year or so sadly. The PA profession is headed for a dim future with this crop of top notch writers like yourselves. I wish all these new shiny assistants would spend more time learning to care for patients and less time with smart remarks or dreaming of med school futures on here that will not happen. It takes more than writing skills on a computer and handing out Moltrin to be a real PA unlike a lazy corpman lol! Good luck with your future that will consist of being supervised by an NP very soon. I am done here wasting time on a forum that appears full of failures and rejects. How about that structure? Peace out!

Exactly...this profession needs more people persons like yourself, with your grace and social skills. It's your empathy and compassion that stand out and will make you what all PAs will strive to be, yet, sadly, a goal that few will attain.

Go forth mathtroll....go forth and succor the ill, the diseased, the halt and the lame, for you mathtroll are the epitome of all that makes healthcare great and good.

And on a more serious note...stick with math...you fail at everything else.

I know I shouldn't have replied to mathtroll, but sometimes ya just gotta have fun!

Its one long paragraph Fatty haha. If its too hard to read then dont! Sorry Oneal, never been a desk jockey English major or Music master on a boat. I only had time to concentrate on the real world and what is important to normal people. This forum is starting to feel like all the SDN rejects gather here and has turned toxic last year or so sadly. The PA profession is headed for a dim future with this crop of top notch writers like yourselves. I wish all these new shiny assistants would spend more time learning to care for patients and less time with smart remarks or dreaming of med school futures on here that will not happen. It takes more than writing skills on a computer and handing out Moltrin to be a real PA unlike a lazy corpman lol! Good luck with your future that will consist of being supervised by an NP very soon. I am done here wasting time on a forum that appears full of failures and rejects. How about that structure? Peace out!

Gee, what a coincidence! I was just thinking it was over run with pre PAs that can't take a joke! Toughen that skin up or you will get eaten alive.

But since you wanted to make it personal:

Oh you only had time to focus on things that matter? Guess I didn't realize everything was either/or. Damn my creator for giving me the brain capacity for learning to speak intelligently as well as do math.

As far as being "real world" and knowing what it takes to be a "real PA," at least I can spell Motrin and corpsman, as well as having been an ICU nurse for 4 years . I doubt you know which end to stick the BMS in.

I am really puzzled by some of the responses to the OPs question. All they wanted to know is how to address the issue of dropping a PA program in favor of med school. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that, but I will say, that if that is what you want to do, then go for it. Personally, my biggest regrets in life are the things I DIDN'T do rather than the things I did do.

Like others have said, the OP did NOT take a seat from ANYONE...they EARNED it. It is up to them if they want to continue. If you didn't get into a program, I guarantee it was not because of the OP.

There are many PAs that regret not going to med school, and now due to circumstances feel that they can't go now. Some like EMEDPA, would be OUTSTANDING docs, and would be fantastic for the PA profession for the opportunities and advocacy the would provide for PAs. I wish we had more PAs going into med school, because I am selfish and know that they would help further the PA profession tremendously. I sincerely hope those folks DO find a way to follow their dream.

The OP in no way, shape or form disparaged PAs...They just realized their path lies in another direction. Personally, I think it is wise to withdraw now and not incur more debt. But that's just me.

As for me...I was in the OR for 12 years then left to pursue a career in IT. I did well for 20 years and missed medicine every day of them, but KNEW it was to late to go back. But at 49 I finally realized it's never to late...so here I am.

I just hope it doesn't take the OP as long to follow their dream...like I said...it's the things I DIDN'T do that I regret the most...

nh -- I appreciate the response/advice and bringing it back to my main concern of wondering what the next step would be. I am certainly hoping that I can either come to enjoy the PA world, graduate in 2 years and take on the looming debt (and then work a bit to lower that debt), or drop out now and see if there's any way to convince a medical school admissions committee to admit me next cycle.

Would anyone recommend going to the medical school associated with my PA school and discussing my situation with one of the admissions counselor (if I could schedule something)? I imagine that they have dealt with a few PA students who have had a change of heart over the years and would give me an honest opinion.

perfectly stated. incidentally, i have a feeling you'll be one to appreciate this new information in the popular media ... http://stitchesndishes.com/2013/07/new-testimony-jacksons-partner-denies-everything-in-paula-deen-case/

I don't think you should "feel bad" that you "took" someone else seat. You beat out x number of applicants who had the same opportunities as you, therefore contributing to stronger a PA pool ( statistically speaking). Let the free market do it's thing.

If being in PA school is not the most exciting thing in your life your first semester there, personally I think you made the wrong choice. Get out now, no more monies lost, get old job back, continue in direction of med school, and use this experience to your advantage in personal statement as a reason to why you should be accepted in to med school x.

Pro's Vs Cons list but actually write it out on paper. Go back and quantify the value of each thing you listed 1-3. See which side comes out with a higher value and you will answer your own question.

10 years from now it will not matter who said you should or should not stay or go. It will only matter if YOU are happy with your decision.

Archived