UTMB 2013-2014 Application Cycle

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine the waitlist numbers may change as well? I mean if someone was offered a spot on the waitlist and an acceptance elsewhere surely they would take the acceptance elsewhere, moving the numbers around? This is my first time dealing with stuff like this so I'm unsure about some things.

Yes that is true. Are you on the wait list as well?

Has anyone that interviewed heard back with rejections?  I'm not sure what's better...being waitlisted or hearing nothing...

Congrats to those who have already been accepted!! UTMB seems like an awesome place to be!  Cross your fingers for those of us who have heard nothing!

I interviewed on November 4th and have also not heard anything back, aside from being told that final decisions will probably be made in Spring.  The fact that people are already getting waitlisted, and that the list is in the 60's now is a little disconcerting.  

Congratulations to everyone who has heard back with good news. 

Interviewed December 6th and received an acceptance email on Monday!  Super excited!!  Good luck to those still waiting, I was told at the interview that they indeed went through their whole waitlist last year, so there's always hope!

Congratulations lucylily! I wonder if I met you there. Unfortunately, I can't remember anyone's name (I'm very bad with names).

I was number 30 on the wait list, but I just emailed Shirley withdrawing my application for admission because I've already been accepted to three other schools. Good luck to the rest of you! I hope one of you gets that spot!!

Thanks for moving us all up one spot on the wait list lol! And congratualtions on getting accepted to three other schools, that is awesome!

I'm wondering if they even deny folks who interviewed or if they just flat out place EVERYONE on a waiting list? For those of you who were in the 60s... do not fret for I am in the 70s!! I've also been accepted to 3 other schools. I wonder what they are looking for. Admissions is truly an enigma at UTMB it seems, which is fine. Very happy for all of those with good news. Will wait a bit and see what happens.

Hello all! I am excited to hear about everyone's good news of acceptance or being placed on the wait list! I interviewed 12/6 and I am also on the waitlist. I am concerned, however, that no one who has said they were accepted has said anything about possibly going to another program. Is there anyone out there? Do us wait-listers have hope? Thank you!!

I'm wondering if they even deny folks who interviewed or if they just flat out place EVERYONE on a waiting list? For those of you who were in the 60s... do not fret for I am in the 70s!! I've also been accepted to 3 other schools. I wonder what they are looking for. Admissions is truly an enigma at UTMB it seems, which is fine. Very happy for all of those with good news. Will wait a bit and see what happens.

There are some people that have interviewed and heard nothing. I think the reason they offer so many spots on the waitlist is because they go through so many spots and they want to have everyone they may accept in their chronological order. I also think people don't hear back because the school wants to ensure they can fill their class, so there's still a chance for them! They can't deny someone and then ask them to attend..Hope that helps! 

Hello all! I am excited to hear about everyone's good news of acceptance or being placed on the wait list! I interviewed 12/6 and I am also on the waitlist. I am concerned, however, that no one who has said they were accepted has said anything about possibly going to another program. Is there anyone out there? Do us wait-listers have hope? Thank you!!

Hey, I was there on 12/6 too! What is your spot on the waitlist? Someone else on here said last year they got to around 50!

Don't fear clundin! The reason the waitlist exists in the first place is because they can't be too sure how many people will take back on their offer. For example, I was accepted to school A back in August and quickly accepted, but interviewed at school B in early October and was quickly admitted. I decided to reject school A's offer and accept school B's offer. Then only a few weeks later I interviewed at school C, which was by far my top choice, and I was accepted at their school a few days later. I quickly accepted school C's offer of admission and I have since declined choice B's offer. As you can see, I jumped around from school to school with more and more offers as they came. For this reason, schools always have to create waitlists because if they don't they will end up with class sizes with less students than anticipated because students sometimes don't have interviews for other schools until much later in the cycle and that's something they just can't predict early on. 

Honestly, it kind of looks bad upon UTMB if they have such a high turnover rate with their waitlist. It means that last year at least 50 people who were admitted to the class got into other programs elsewhere and subsequently withdrew their offer of admission for another school. 

Does the fact that so many people are being wait listed effectively mean that not too many, if any more people will be outright accepted?

I assume that UTMB is not done interviewing, and that they would need to keep a precious few spots open for any star applicants, but I am unsure.

Does the fact that so many people are being wait listed effectively mean that not too many, if any more people will be outright accepted?

I assume that UTMB is not done interviewing, and that they would need to keep a precious few spots open for any star applicants, but I am unsure.

I know they at least have one more interview coming up in January, and I don't think it would make much sense for all of those people to be waitlisted. I'm sure there are more spots open, but I don't think anyone can really say how many.

So if there is one more interview and they've already got a wait list in the 60's does that mean those in the next interview have no shot at the wait list if they aren't accepted? I interviewed dec 6th and wasn't accepted or wait listed so I figured I would be getting a rejection letter in the new year.

Hi everyone! I interviewed back in August and just heard from UTMB that I am #40 on the wait list. I am very excited to be on the wait list but also very nervous! It makes me feel a lot better to hear that some of you have withdrawn. Congratulations on being accepted to other schools! UTMB is my number one choice so it was great to hear from them. For those of you still waiting, do not be discouraged. Good luck and stay positive :-)!

So if there is one more interview and they've already got a wait list in the 60's does that mean those in the next interview have no shot at the wait list if they aren't accepted? I interviewed dec 6th and wasn't accepted or wait listed so I figured I would be getting a rejection letter in the new year.

texas2013, the waitlist can be infinite. As long as they have applicants that are worthy of spots, they'll put you on the waitlist. If you haven't heard back yet, your application is probably still being processed. Just give it time. 

Archived