UTMB 2013-2014 Application Cycle

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I interviewed on Nov 4th and have to be honest, I was pretty disappointed. Being my 3rd interview, I may have set myself up with a certain expectation, but even if it would have been my first interview, I would have still left feeling let down. I don't think they did a very good job informing us of what to expect on the day of the our interview. A heads up on the blockade of construction surrounding the bldg we were going to would have been nice. Maybe some signs to direct us? I also didn't think they were very organized. They stressed professionalism but then again the speaker was late and rushed through the slides. I am not from the area so I was hoping that they would talk about what there is to do in Galveston. I understand that we literally have no time for too much fun, but if I am going to uproot myself and live there for 2+ years I would like to know about what is available to do to 'get away.' There was no tour which was a big dissatisfier for me because I would have liked to have seen the campus. Last thing, they kept us for over 5 hours without lunch! Granted, they did say this in our interview invite so I can't really complain about it. I guess I had hoped for a better snack selection. Don't get me wrong, I was starving so I did eat the chips and left over halloween cookies :) I am not trying to bad mouth them in any way, because the interviews themselves were actually pretty good. Everyone I know that goes there both PA and med school love it. They love the faculty. I guess I was just surprised because I didn't leave feeling impressed. We didn't really get to meet the faculty either. I just wanted to share my experience to those of you awaiting your interview. Maybe it was bad one for them OR just bad for me. For the rest of you that interviewed on Nov 4th, how was it for you? Am I alone in my disappointment?

Don't feel bad. It was that way back in the fall/winter of 1980 as well. We were rushed around and given a quick tour. Obviously the campus was just a little different back then compared to today. I ruined a perfectly good paint job on a 1977 Cutlass due to the sand when I stayed with a first-year student on the beach when there was a mobile home park on Stewart Beach. He can afford slightly better accommodations now considering he is a PA->physician. Just remember, for the most part, you're there to impress them, not the other way around. With regard to the comment as to what else there is to do on the island, during the winter months, not much. I don't think that has changed much.

I interviewed in October and the students had quite a bit to say about the island. They mostly talked about their favorite places to eat and some of the cultural things to do. I'm pretty sure they mentioned stuff about random parades! They also said during the summer session, students go to the beach quite a bit because things are more relaxed. But once the fall semester starts everyone is too busy to enjoy the beach. My friend is a first year PA student at UTMB and absolutely loves it. She speaks very highly of the staff and says they are truly there for the students. My friend and I went down to The Strand (I believe that is what it is called), which is the main road down by the water and it was really fun! Just relaxed down there for a bit and had dinner! Hopefully this helps a little about what to do on the island!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called today and they didnt pull my application over from the main office. I applied in the beginnig of August and filled out myStar stuff on 8/12. Never heard ANYTHING. Well when I called she said that my app just got "left behind" and she would put it in the stack to be reviewed. I am so furious! She said mine should have been reviewed months ago!!! So, if you havent heard anything at all since myStar, you might want to check!

I called today and they didnt pull my application over from the main office. I applied in the beginnig of August and filled out myStar stuff on 8/12. Never heard ANYTHING. Well when I called she said that my app just got "left behind" and she would put it in the stack to be reviewed. I am so furious! She said mine should have been reviewed months ago!!! So, if you havent heard anything at all since myStar, you might want to check!

Did you ever get an email saying your application went into review?

well if you haven't heard from them, I would call and just ask to check the status of your application. I have now decided to call and check with schools that I havent heard from in a few weeks.

Hebanks, what is the phone number you called? I would like to ask about the status of my application as well.

I turned in my supplemental back in July and just received my in review email the first Friday of this month. That's probably what happened with mine as well. And as far as interviews go I know they've already offered spots to the January interview so hopefully they'll extend more but I'm not sure.

They have already extended invitations for the January interview dates?? I haven't heard anything about invitations for the Dec or Jan dates.

Archived