Application/Interviews 2013-2014

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to deter you from sending that in; however, I received an email thanking me for my CASPA app but unfortunately all of their interview slots are full. I also received another emailing with the supplemental inviting me to reply, so I was confused. When I asked for clarification, the admissions person confirmed "all interview slots are full." So, you might want to directly ask them this same question and see what they say. Goodluck!

I emailed them asking about the status of my application and was told yesterday that all interview seats have been filled. Anyone being offered an interview now, is being put on a waitlist.

I just got this email from them this morning. Love that they didn't say anything about a waitlist....

"Since you were sent an invitation to apply to our supplemental you will have a chance to be invited for an interview.

Thank you,

Arloa Atkinson

A. T. Still University"

I really dislike how they are not being transparent with their applicants regarding app status. Very much leaning on the side of not bothering with this program.

That is the same person that told me the slots were filled maybe 7 to 10 days ago. So, I emailed her directly back my concern. She then said, yes all slots are full. I wouldnt say I am an excellent candidate by any means. But I have a high GPA, above average GRE and 7 years healthcare experience. I don't think she told me that because I wasnt a qualified applicant. I am confused and because of this not sending my supplemental in.

I think you all have to remember that the supplemental application is the schools way of making some money. I have heard that all interview spots are filled currently. But I have also heard that since AT Still is on probation they are trying to fill up their class as soon as possible. They know that most of their applicants may receive interviews at Midwestern or NAU and if accepted to either of those schools students would more than likely choose those schools since they are not on probation. So I believe at some point they will have more interview spots open from people choosing other programs. But honestly I would choose either Midwestern or NAU over AT Still any day only because these schools have a better reputation and are not on probation. I know people who received interviews last year at AT Still and they were put on the waitlist for admission and this year they have not even received a supplemental application invite. So it makes you think how they are picking people.....

I finally got this email after a great deal of insistence on my part.

"Yes, all interview slots have been scheduled and if you choose to submit your supplemental fee, you will receive a letter stating the same information.

At this time, we are almost halfway through interviews and no one has dropped off the interview list yet. We currently have 63 applicants waiting for a slot to interview."

I am definitely keeping my $70.

Sounds like you have no clue what you're talking about with regards to the probation. Also sounds like sour grapes. Rather than enuendo how about some facts. Application fee are hardly a money making, cash cow.

As for reputation, there are just as many PAs and other practitioners working in the valley from MWU as ATSU with a much larger pool coming from MWU. NAU has a reputation for producing good PAs? How many grads have they had?

Get you FACTS together first.

I think you mean innuendo. The point is if you have the choice between a program on probation and a program not on probation, many would probably go with the one with a clean record. I have no doubt that the program is doing everything in their power to fix the issues and impress the ARC. But personally, I would be worried about what potential employers thought about the program being on probation.

I do however think that PA programs make a decent profit off of the supplemental application (not saying there's anything wrong with that) and is why they are not being as open as they could be about where they are in their application process to potential students. ATSU claims to receive over 2500 applications. That means they have the potential to make 2500 x $70 = $175,000. That's a nice sum of money in my book.

I agree with u auviphung. Uscbigdawg I don't have any hard feelings about AT Still I just think that if u have a choice most people would pick the school who is not on probation. And for your info I do know what I'm talking about. I've talked to several grads from AT Still (even students who were in school when the probation started) over the past several years and I work at a local hospital and people in the community (doctors and PAs) both know about their probation and have advised people to not apply until they are cleared of it hopefully this march 2014. So I do have my facts straight. There is really no need to be rude we all have our opinions and are free to make the choices we want to. So with that being said I Wish you the best of luck, u got accepted early which means u must be a strong applicant and I'm sure u will do well.

Sounds like you have no clue what you're talking about with regards to the probation. Also sounds like sour grapes. Rather than enuendo how about some facts. Application fee are hardly a money making, cash cow.

As for reputation, there are just as many PAs and other practitioners working in the valley from MWU as ATSU with a much larger pool coming from MWU. NAU has a reputation for producing good PAs? How many grads have they had?

Get you FACTS together first.

Amen uscbigdawg!!!

I also work at a local hospital, and would wager that the doctors and PAs that you work with, unless they're tied to the university have no clue about what they're talking about. Everyone seems to KNOW that ATSU is on probation. Very few of these same, 'experts' have a clue why. So until they know, it's just normal hospital BS. I've clarified the reason why ATSU is on probation to more than few "professionals" that work at AZ Regional, Mountain Vista, multiple Banners, SHC, JCL and other hospitals in the valley. NONE, and I mean ZERO knew that actual reason why ATSU was on probation. So, given you know they're hearing is in March with ARC-PA, I'll give you that you're likely more informed than the norm, but that said, the reason for probation is small (and arguably just as much the fault of the students as the administration). In addition, the corrective actions the university has taken and the well above average performance of its students since speaks to the school's understanding and swift response to all issues that ARC-PA brought up and also looked at it as an opportunity to improve an already solid program.

I think you just supported the exact reason why most people would rather attend a school that is not on probation vs. one that is.

ucbigdawg,

Since you seem to be in the know regarding the reasons for ATSU's probation status, what is the reason? I don't want to get into the debate regarding what the feelings are within the community that is taking place on this thread, but I would like to know. I applied to their program, and haven't received an interview offer, but would like to know if I want to keep pursing ATSU.

Thanks!

ucbigdawg,

Since you seem to be in the know regarding the reasons for ATSU's probation status, what is the reason? I don't want to get into the debate regarding what the feelings are within the community that is taking place on this thread, but I would like to know. I applied to their program, and haven't received an interview offer, but would like to know if I want to keep pursing ATSU.

Thanks!

Read the thread about the probationary status as it will say more. The reason they were put on probationary status had everything to do with the clinical rotation side of things. Some students were not getting the proper clinical rotations, it had nothing to do with the quality of the instruction. The PANCE pass rates have always been around the national average (they are going to go up though!). They have since reduced their class size by about 20 students, increased their clinical site agreements, and brought on new faculty and a new director who is a renowned and highly respected PA and Doctor of Health Sciences - Dr. Simon. http://www.atsu.edu/soma/faculty_staff/dr_albert_simon_bio.htm He has also been making improvements to the didactic portion that I am excited about. They have another site review coming up and since they have made great efforts to address this concern, it is anticipated that they will regain full accreditation. Probationary status is a temporary thing that allows programs to improve and come back into compliance.

Funny because I think I just proved that stupid is rampant. However, given you're not going to be there, why do you care so much? Those of us that did receive interviews, met the folks that are there and aren't bitter, all say the same thing and that is the program is made of up fine people that are a tight knit group. It's more and more evident why some folks, while great on paper, aren't awarded interviews.

Again best of luck and see you in practice.

ETA: Not one professional had anything negative to say about the grads of the program, just a concern over the 'rumor' of it being on probation. Further, while at Mountain Vista, having to hear an attending explain metabolism/metabolic pathways to a student from another school was sad to say the least.

uscbigdawg - I'm sorry if I upset you for whatever reason. I have nothing against you or against AT Stills. All I was saying is that this program isn't right for me (and probably for other applicants too) because as you stated everyone seems to know that ATSU is on probation but no one knows why. As I said previously, I have no doubts in my mind that they are doing everything in their power to fix their minor probationary infraction. But personally, public perception and reputation are very important aspects for me when choosing a PA program. That is my opinion, you don't have to agree with it.

I was really on the fence about applying to this program for this very reason and on a whim I sent in my CASPA a week before the deadline (after the interview spots were already filled). I have no bitterness about this. It was my fault for not sending my app in earlier. It had nothing to do with my qualifications or strengths as an applicant. The only thing I was upset about was them not being upfront to applicants and telling them this fact before they collected their $70 for supplemental fees. I had to call them and email them twice before they would give me a straight answer. Other PA programs have the courtesy of informing students about this.

Sounds like this is a school you are very passionate about and I wish you the best. Please try to lighten up a little.

Archived