Letters of Rec

I am currently four rotations into my clinical year and have had some attending physicians offer to write me a letter. Should these letters be more general or discipline specific. I am most interested in Emed, SICU, and Surg but as this is still early in my clinical year this could change. Any advise would be great thanks.

I wouldn't have the attendings write letters of recommendation yet- once you apply for a job, especially if it's one where you'll be working for a hospital (EM, SICU, surg), the letters may need to be tailored to specific questions. A rheumatology attending during an internal medicine rotation wrote me a letter of recommendation half-way through my clinicals. It made me feel wonderful, but wasn't helpful when applying for a job because it didn't later speak to the specific attributes asked by the hospital to characterize.

Thank the attendings and take their business cards/contact information. Write down some key details that were note-worthy about your peformance (ie why they offered to write you a letter) and keep in contact with them through your clinical year.

If after only 4 rotations, you've already racked up multiple physicians offering recommendations, it's likely you'll have a multitude to choose from. When it's time to apply for jobs, email 3-4 asking if they'd be willing. Then, once you know what will be needed for the recs, you can give them the exact details without them needing to rewrite. If it's someone who you worked with early on in your clinicals, it'll be key to remind them of that note-worthy performance: During my .... rotation with you, I cared for Mr/Mrs. ..... and performed .....

Good luck!

Archived