Physical diagnosis woes

Hi everyone,

Our physical diagnosis instructor asked for feedback on her class, which has caused us much frustration, and I was curious how other programs taught theirs. We covered it in one semester with weekly 1.5 hr lectures and 1.5 hours of lab time where we were split up in to groups of 20 with 1 or 2 instructors. Definitely felt like we were lacking in demonstration and feedback on techniques. Do other programs have smaller groups, more instructors, less lecture time? Did you learn the physical exam skills in sync with your clinical medicine subjects? Is anyone experiencing similar frustration with their PD classes? Thanks in advance!

We spend ≈ 2 hours/week on lecture (to 50 people) and than 1 day/week in lab for 2 hrs. (2 students/lab). They bring in 6-8 instructors (faculty, preceptors, and graduates of the program) for lab day who rotate through each exam room, offer advice, and check us off on required skills. We have a weekend workshop for learning and practicing pelvic and rectal exams. In addition we spend 2 hrs/week on taking/practicing the hx. We rotate in small groups to a community free clinic that serves the homeless community 1-2 times a semester for supervised practice. We have 24 hour access to the exam rooms to practice whenever we want as well as access to an auscultation lab. No complaints...

We have over 50 people in my program and had about a half day of lecture followed by a half day of lab each week, with all of us doing it at the same time. One of our faculty would demonstrate that lab day's part of the physical exam(i.e. HEENT, cardio/resp, neuro, etc) in front of everyone and then we would get in groups of 2-3 and do it. A few instructors would wander around to answer any questions. Each major section would have an exam in which a grader(faculty) would sit there and watch us with our partner and then of course there was the whole man exam at the end of the semester. No issues here.

4-5 students for 1 instructor does sound ideal! Pyrite, I'm jealous of your curriculum. Maybe I'll suggest that the rest of the faculty get involved to teach us in smaller groups since hiring more instructors doesn't seem to be in the cards. The ones that are there are open to changing the structure of things so hopefully they'll be able to divy up the work, and maybe bring in graduates and preceptors too. They have us partner up and practice during lab time, but it's mostly blind leading the blind without instructor feedback. They only evaluation we've gotten has been one OSCE (with only one station) so even though I've been volunteering in clinic I still feel unsure of my exam skills. Thanks for all your input!!!

Archived