Hello,

How are you all?I just finished my first year of college at Four-Year University and due to financial issue I have to go to a community college for a year and then I will transfer to a Four-Year University again. Will that be okay or will it look bad on my application for PA school? Will the PA schools accept community college credits?

It will probably be okay. However, some schools do require that their prerequisites be taken at a 4 year institution. Some prefer them to be taken at a four year institution but accept CC prerequisites. Some also have no preference. If you are not at the stage of knowing what schools you are interested in, just know that this may limit you in what schools you can apply to if you take some of the prerequisites at a CC. That being said, there are plenty of schools that will accept CC credits as prerequisites. If you have schools that you are already interested in, check their website or contact them directly for their policy.

Thank you for replying so quickly, I really appreciate it :)) I actually have no idea which schools I want to apply to right now but I was wondering can you give me some names of colleges that accepts it and some that don't so I know what I am working with....Also is there a book or something that lists all the PA school in this country and their requirements and stuff, I tried finding it but couldn't find it.

I'm not sure if there is a book, but here's some language from the websites of PA programs with different views (below). I think that you will have plenty of schools that you will be able to apply to in taking community college credits, but in my earlier post just wanted to point out that you may find some schools where you would not be eligible if you too prerequisites at a community college.

Yale: Prerequisite coursework may be completed at multiple institutions, including community/junior colleges and institutions from which the applicant has not received a degree

University of Utah: Do you accept community college coursework? Yes, we do. However, because some of your other programs of interest may not accept or prefer community college prerequisites, we recommend that you take prerequisites at the university level

Mercy College: We will accept up to two prerequisite courses from community colleges but an application is strongest when these courses are completed at a four-year institution.

Northeastern: 2 semesters of biology lecture plus 1 biology lab

• must be designated as pre-med level courses by school offering them
  • must be taken in-class at a regionally accredited 4-year institution (online courses or courses taken at a 2-year community college will not fulfill the biology prerequisites)
  • 2 semesters of chemistry lecture plus 1 chemistry lab
  • must be designated as pre-med level courses by school offering them
  • must be taken in-class at a regionally accredited 4-year institution (online courses or courses taken at a 2-year community college will not fulfill the chemistry prerequisites)

Archived