Press Ganey and improper relationships

Guest Paula

I've always believed PG was a scam. I worked an urgent care clinic for 3 years and we got the lowest PG scores........because the patients had to wait too long to be seen and we did not prescribe schedule II from there. I figured out how to detect who wrote what on the comments that came back through some detective work. The complainers were the ones who were the frequent flyers and came in for hangnails and scratches, thinking they needed another tetanus immunization, and they would run in BAREFOOT because it was such an emergency they couldn't take time to find a pair of shoes. Need pain meds. True story. Gave us bad scores. The admin was always on our backs. At an all clinic providers meeting one of the docs piped up and starting asking questions on the validity of the scores, the small data set, starting talking percentages and probabilities that the data is skewed. The nurse CEO who thought she knew it all squirmed mighty hard and couldn't answer a single question. She defended the $200,000 spent on the contract (the rumor was that was the cost......). So I still hold to my theory that PG is a scam.

one of our docs to make a point decided to write percocet for every pt who wanted it for an entire year. his PG score went from worst in the dept to first.....
Wow, I try to only gamble with the house's money. I admire the cojones, but wouldn't want to put my practice on the line like that.

ust for my information, when CMS starts tiering payments to hospitals to levels of patient satisfaction (along with 30 day reqdmissions, core measures etc which they are already doing), will they be using press gainey scores to measure that satisfaction?

if so, then we really need to rethink our approach to medicine.. where before we would "do the right thing" even if the patient was not happy ( eg not giving opioids or uncalled for antibiotics), it will be a real strain if doing the right thing cost us a percentage of salary.

all ethics are, I guess, situational. in my case, I am able to divorce myself from salary because I no longer need it to live.. we have done pretty well.. so I can "afford " to take the salary hit, or even lose a job due to patient dissatisfaction.. how about you younger guys?

my experience with administrations over the decades is that they inturn have to answer to a larger corporation, which sees only bottom line, and "they will hire those that will satisfy patients" if you do not..

my current job, just to stay busy, notes that press gainey surveys 25 patients for every 5000 patients / mos we discharge.. and continues this ratio of 1:200 upwards.

they have convinced administration that this ratio is in fact better than the national polls (gallop, fox, cnn) ratios...

sooo.. my friends, whatcha gonna do?

Emedpa's friend who started writing Percocet injudiciously inorder to elevate his scores is a perfect example..

As one guy has already said: admin has never admonished him for prescribing pain medications.. and he has never regretted writing an antibiotic.. ,but he has been admonish and has regretted it when he did not prescribe them.

once again, whatcha gonna do?

At the present time....I'm not overly concerned with it. The big reason is that I like my inner-city urban underserved ED environment, as we're truly allowed to practice medicine as we see fit, and not kow-tow to "I deserve the pain meds I'm asking for" or "I need antibiotics", and we have the ED leadership who strongly supports it. Our administration is more concerned with overall through-put of patients through the department, as well as ensuring that patients who are admitted actually qualified for admission so that the hospital gets reimbursed properly (ie, Interqual criteria). I've never received emails asking why I didn't prescribe opioids or antibiotics for someone who I believe didn't need it. I have, however, received multiple emails asking why X patient was placed in observation instead of admission or vice versa, as that directly impacts our reimbursement.

HOWEVER......there will come a time soon when I will be looking for a new job (fiance graduating ER residency and wants to set out for a different region of the country), and that's when I'll be worrying. Worrying I'll be stepping into an environment where Press Ganey rules the day and plays a major part in my long-term employment. I'm 4 years out of school, so still young enough to have the majority of my career in front of me. I only hope that I'm able to prove my worth in other areas, and not just how much Percocet I handed out that day for non-emergent/non-significant causes.

I mostly work at places now that are very underserved/rural etc.

if someone doesn't want to come back they don't really have any choice as these places are the only show in town.

"I will go somewhere else" is a threat I can live with from an obnoxious pt.

Archived